aaa Damned Mackie's - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Damned Mackie's

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/25             17-Jul-02  @  12:53 AM   -   Damned Mackie's

Errata

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I thought I'd share...

What a pain in the ass. This party we played on Saturday had Mackie SRM450's set up for stage monitors. We played at 2:00 for a party that started at 10:00. The crap Mackie's shut themselves off at around 1:50 during the DJ set before ours. The DJ before us and the sound guy don't bother telling us. Later the guy that owned the system says they're notorious for this. After a few hours they get too hot and shut down!!! Other people at the party agreed, like it's a well known fact!

WTF!!!??? I see these monitors everywhere... Why the hell would everyone buy these things if this happens?

Anyway the set's not loud enough, everyone keeps telling me to turn it up, but I think the monitors are working so I figure the house PA is plenty loud because I CAN"T hear the monitors over the house... and figure the people telling me to turn it up are just high!!! None of the artists bothered to tell us we were too quiet it was the kids at the front of the dance floor...

So I think I'm pissed at the sound guy and MACKIE... No big deal... the show was successful and i finally did turn it up.

My question is, (took a long time I know) has anyone else encountered this with these top selling monitors? Or was I just surrounded by... well i better just leave it at that!

e

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/25             17-Jul-02  @  02:03 AM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

k

Link?:  Link

not being funny, but that's hardly a speaker for a club sound for fucks sake - that's a speaker to sling either side of the stage to re-enforce a couple of acoutic guitarists or to cover vocals & brass etc for a live pub gig.. you want big old sturdy boxes mate not glorified bloody hi-fi units.

If you are really hard up get a big old fridge, like a commercial fridge with no upper icebox, and rip off the door and all the outer pipes and compressor etc so it's a raw shell, cut a sheet of marine ply to fit in the door space and bolt it in and drop some 18" spekers into that - 100% yard stylee bass bin mate!!

use the mackies for the top end only and get a bloody great amp for the bass end and a crossover to split off the tops to the mackies.

or check the DT PA SECTION and build some boxes. (we added 18" bass boxe design recently cpurtesy of celestion UK - there's planty of others, and THAT is what you want, not this newfangled malerkee  

Mate you want to go down carnival and checkout the boxes there. Sounds good to me.

or hire proper pa for your gigs - those mackies wont take hours of pounding clipping bass end I reckon.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/25             17-Jul-02  @  02:04 AM     Edit: 17-Jul-02  |  02:06 AM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

k

Link?:  Link

also, wooden pa boxes give dance it's distinctive *hard* live wooden 'boxy' sounding kik and bottom end that just makes it all rock!! it's also about cabinet res' too like with guitar cabs.. that is THE sound.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/25             17-Jul-02  @  05:15 AM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

damballah

(k, he said monitors, not mains. btw, I first found this site looking for some speaker box plans and built one of those 15" jobs.) the guy that owns the system and KNOWS he's bringing inadequate gear to a JOB oughta be feeling a little pain in the groin. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do when you show up to play and the sound crew's less than pro.To be fair, I've seen the JBL version of these things used as stage monitors, but that's with mostly vocals through them at a reasonable level, not a full mix cranked.

Message 5/25             17-Jul-02  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

k

Link?:  No link

oh it as his comments about it not being loud enuff, i thought somehow those mackies were contributing to the sound - i misread it. anwyays regadless it sounds like they clipped themslves into protect/off mode ??

Message 6/25             17-Jul-02  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

99devils

Yeah.. I've played gigs where they've been used as reinforcement (not the whole PA). I don't remember being dissatisfied with their sound, but again they weren't the entire PA.

We bought our own monitor setup. If nothing else, you'll always have something you know works.

-Craig

Message 7/25             17-Jul-02  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

Pongoid

first, put fans on the backs of the amps to blow on the heat sinks. Next, get your sound guys to put those speakers to within three feet of the DJ when they are using them, and within three feet of you when you need them. They are stage wedges, purpose built monitors for rock bands, but have you ever been in a rock band onstage with a good PA? You can't hear shit behind it. Almost nothing, so you don't need loud ass monitors blastin your head off. Clubs on the other hand...I kinda prefer SERIOUS monitors like 1000 watts each, with sick ass bullet tweeters and a single 15" PAF, or FANE or McCauley driver in a simple wedge, not cranked, but up there with plenty of headroom, and usually a crown macro-tech powering them. anyhoos, yes your sound guy needs to hurt. sorry to hear it.

Ape

Message 8/25             17-Jul-02  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

marianimal

Link?:  No link

Useful thread. Anyone have recommendations for stage monitors? We need to get a new monitor for our practice space anyway, and it would be good if it could double as a stage monitor.

Message 9/25             17-Jul-02  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

damballah

one problem could be that some DJs start out loud and have nowhere to go but they get all excited as the night goes on and push their little DJ mixers into the red, sending FOH nothing but hard clipped distorted nonsense. of course the amps shut off. a club I know of that mixes DJs and bands installed a duct-tape limiter on its DJ mixer to keep this from happening.

Message 10/25             17-Jul-02  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: Damned Mackie's

99devils

Duct tape limiter! Ha!

Marianne, I like the Yorkvilles, personally. Good combination of price and performance, pretty good sounding.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot