aaa Does Anyone Know if the New Mac Update El Capitan will work with Logic? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Does Anyone Know if the New Mac Update El Capitan will work with Logic?

Pages: 1

Original Message 1/3             11-Oct-15  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Does Anyone Know if the New Mac Update El Capitan will work wi...

anotherdayofmercy

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I just got setup with my Logic 10.2 running with my Mac Yosimite 10.10.5 ..

This morning i was checking updates,  and I almost clicked through for the newest update for mac and I thought....hmmm  I better check first.

Thought I would see if anyone had knoledge about this.

Any help woud be appreciated.

Thank You

Steven 

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             24-Oct-15  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Does Anyone Know if the New Mac Update El Capitan will work wi...

k

Link?: Link

anotherdayofmercy@gmail.com wrote:

I just got setup with my Logic 10.2 running with my Mac Yosimite 10.10.5 ..

This morning i was checking updates,  and I almost clicked through for the newest update for mac and I thought....hmmm  I better check first.

Thought I would see if anyone had knoledge about this.

Any help woud be appreciated.

Thank You

Steven 

well general opinion online is that while logic might be ok (but even then some have reported problems with initial releases of el capitan), there could be problems with 3rd party s/w and even some audio interface hardware.

best wait.

but what i will say is generally with logic it;s rather odd that apple and various websites claim each OS update makes things faster/better, but for me i have a top of the range latest model non-5k imac with 8gb ram- this imac has a 7200rpm drive inside, but it loads logic pro x slower and performs worse that my old 2.8 8-core mac pro running mavericks 

now bare in mind you can get an old 8-core 2.8ghz (or higher) mac pro like that for £500 GBP now perhaps, versus the £1500 GBP i paid for the imac!!!!..... hmmm

both machines give about the same amount of maximum logic tracks (about 56) using the Evans stress test, but it's just that my 8-core old mac pro is nipper somehow, logic loads way faster, it seems to have much snappier & faster graphic response (slow graphic response has been widely reported on apple/logic forums with new machines) etc, even though on paper my mac pro has less gpu power than my imac (2gig gpu) and less ram (my mac pro only has 6gb ram) 

But odder still my imac smokes the 8 core mac pro for rendering video using compressor even tho the mac pro has 8 core and the imac only 4 (it's an i5)

it's all very odd, but it makes me say: for a super cheap but really efficient logic setup get an old 64-bit mac pro!! 

however finally i;d say who knows if the culprit is actually logic in fact. The new 10.1/10.2 is bloody terrible. they have wrecked a few things in the update such as the track automation communication & 2-way convertion with midi draw; also midi draw now has no snap can you believe! they broke all that completely, and now you cant rotate around controllers in a region if the bloody track automation is switched on!

logic 10.2 is a total balls up, so it may be that all these OTHER speed related issues are actually to do with logic's coding. 

I would also note the new garageband with my scarlett solo interface & mavericks now will from time to time suddenly increases it's latency for the audio interface to what sounds like about 40ms, making it impossible from that point to continue any more realtime recording... again a total f*cking disaster, and it does this with as little as 4 or 5 track running and for no reason at all..... and no, there is no way with garageband to fix the buffer size of the audio interface so once it happens, tough luck!

so given all that i am inclined to think apple have royally borked logic & garageband with the latest versions somehow. 

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/3             30-Oct-15  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: Does Anyone Know if the New Mac Update El Capitan will work wi...

gimble

Link?:  No link

Bad reports about it on the app store reviews. Stay clear for now

Pages: 1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot