aaa How big's yer partition then? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: How big's yer partition then?

Pages: 1

Original Message 1/4             08-Sep-09  @  10:01 PM   -   How big's yer partition then?

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello,

I'm installing XP on a new drive. How big should the primary partition be?

Does Cubase (and others) require a big primary partition? I'ts a 240Gb drive and I've had suggestions from 8Gb to someone using 189Gb. Does it make a difference?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             09-Sep-09  @  12:12 PM   -   RE: How big's yer partition then?

k

nah, the entire C: drive size doesnt really make much difference tbh to speed until it gets clogged, but any sized partition will get eventualy clogged - You want enuff space for the OS, all the programmes and your swapfile/pagefile.

For those running a DAW and also using same machine for email (outlook/express) and documents/images etc, then there's the obvious point that eventualy things'll fill up with all sorts of non-music clutter - defragging a larger drive takes longer for one thing, and should the C: drive become corrupt you'll loose email, docs and songs if those are also on the same drive

On an all in one machine like that i'd relocate my email folders to a new location on a seperate second disk partition

it's easy to do in outlook express; you can define the email folder storage location in Outlook's preferences to any drive location which makes it easy to resurrect your email should the OS C: drive die or need reformatting and rebuilding

same with docs, just move the MY DOCUMENTS folder to a different drive - and same for songs and audio - keep it all on a sperate drive partitoion to C:

some machine i've built therefore have just a 20-30gb C: drive where i was running only a sequencer and a few other apps - all songs etc resided on other drives in the system

i also tend to make a seperate 2gb small partition (D  for my swapfile, and using windows preferences set my swapfile to that disk partition at the max size of the partition - that way my OS C: partition doesnt even hold the swapfile and the swapfile is permenently set at a min and max size of the entire dedicated 2gb partition so it never gets resized by windows.

So the swapfile is on it's own dedicated partition and thus can be deleted anytime which is faster than defragging a whole C: drive - if u delete the swapfile on it's dedicated partition, windows just recreates it on reboot and it's done

finaly, if using same machine for www etc i always add CCleaner (short for crap cleaner) a well known free app - you run that regularly and it'll clean out all the crap - old temp files and internet temp files - sometimes if youve done alot of web work over the last month it'll remove maybe 1-2gb of useless crap sitting hogging C: drive space for no reason

also cccleaner has great sections for removing useless unwanted startup items, deleting unwanted cookies etc, cleaning registry junk, un-installing unwanted programmes efficiently etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/4             28-Sep-09  @  05:45 AM   -   RE: How big's yer partition then?

Musineer Productions

Cheers for the reply.

That's pretty much how I'd configured the last drive. But I wasn't sure why I'd done it that way  

Makes sense keeping the emails in their own space.

Bought a Vaio laptop as a backup machine. Isn't Vista slow? (I've a feeling that debate has been had elsewhere a few times.) Promised an upgrade to 7 when it comes out. 4GB Ram and a third gone before I load anything!

This old beast is very happy with 1GB Ram and 200MHz, up from 500MB and 133MHz! Cubase has stopped grumbling about the glut of VSTs I'm using.

Message 4/4             23-Mar-11  @  12:41 PM     Edit: 23-Mar-11  |  05:48 PM   -   RE: How big's yer partition then?

safeandsound123

I generally make the partition 40GB for Windows XP. I am sure this is better to be larger for Windows 7 though.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering

online mastering

SafeandSound Mastering, low cost, high end

Pages: 1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot