aaa "live box" - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: "live box"

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 10-Apr-02  @  04:33 AM   -   live box

brentym

Link?:  Link
File?:  No file

in another thread, Mindspawn said ,in reference to the RS700, "it ain't the best live box, but it ain't the worst".

in your opinion, what is the best live box out there and what features does it have that make it so?

also, whats missing from the other boxes?

don't know if you guys have ever been on the imperialdub.com board, but there has been an ongoing project about building a box based around the alesis MMT8. i put the link above.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/34             10-Apr-02  @  12:43 PM   -   RE:

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

You talkin bout the Schaltwerk? Fugging monster... pricey. When you say "not as a stand alone" whatcha mean? I'm curious about 'em too.

Pax

Message 12/34             10-Apr-02  @  01:31 PM   -   RE:

Maarten

It was the MAQ 16/3, 3 rows of 16 knobs, dial in the notes/length etc as far as I remember.
I mean not using it as your soul sequencer for live use... I can imagine (my first live set is yet to be experienced) that it's mainly not as intuitive as an MPC for drums. But I do think it'll let you do crazy things with basslines in a matter of a second, Your basically 'grabbing' two notes simultaniously and altering them in pitch, gate etc. Gonna look up that Schaltwerk thingy, never heard of it.

-M-

Message 13/34             10-Apr-02  @  01:38 PM   -   RE:

Maarten

Wow..... wow. Now there's a nice option for live use me thinks, 8 x x0x style sequencer, lots of CV/gate outputs and at 1190 euro's, it isn't *that* expensive.

http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm

Message 14/34             10-Apr-02  @  02:09 PM   -   RE:

Pongoid

The thing with all of those knob sequencers is that they are REALLY slow to program to get something good out of. It takes time to build a killer pattern. Anybody can give a monkey an atomic bomb. The thing is to not be a monkey. I'm still workin that one.

Ape

Message 15/34             10-Apr-02  @  02:36 PM   -   RE:

formant

one thing you didn't mention about the rs7000 (and i think this is crucial for live stuff) is the ability to select tracks 1-8 / 9-16 or ALL at the same time and twist knobs to affect everything.

the end result if you put drums on 1-8 and music on 9-16 is phenominal...

the rs7000 is the only controller i have ever seen that will transmit across 8 or 16 midi channels a particular CC like that.

the net result of the sections and the mutes and the knobs onboard and the ability to send out knob movements across 8 channels etc ensures that even if i add other stuff later (laptop running kontakt or reaktor, new groovebox whatever) that the rs will be the central point of whatever i am doing live.

jamey

Message 16/34             10-Apr-02  @  09:59 PM   -   RE:

xoxos

not like this is at all my thing, and in all honesty i don't know that much about it.. but the 'environment' layer of logic is pretty capable stuff.. (or seems to be..) seriously looks like you could connect any controllers you'd like and make it generate whatever you'd want it to.. wonder if you could then plop that in one of those kenton racks? way outta my thing :p

Message 17/34             10-Apr-02  @  10:03 PM   -   RE:

brentym

can you do that knob assign bit on the RM1X as well. i thought i read somewhere that you can, but i can't figure it out.

Message 18/34             10-Apr-02  @  11:44 PM   -   RE:

formant

knob assign on the rs7k means you loose all internal functionality for it.

dunno about the rs?

but all my reaktor/native instrument toys can have whatever cc i like so i wouldn't need to reset a knob in my case.

jamey

Message 19/34             11-Apr-02  @  05:33 AM   -   RE:

Mindspawn

Formant - good point there. I really dunna know of any other machines that can do the multi track CC thing as the RS does. Not that I use it much, but it can be a handy thing now and again. Anything that can be an ace-in-the-hole like that is always cool to have...

Maarten - those sequencers are pretty neat. I just got a MAM SQ16, similar to the MAQ16/3, and I like it a lot. Very cool way of working.

Also, I dunno about the other analog sequencers as I haven't used 'em, but in response to Pongoid's comments about them being a bit complex, I'd agree on certain levels, but I'm actually thinking of taking this MAM box out and programming it on the spot. It really seems that easy and very quick to set up. Just playing around with it for a couple of hours today was fantastic. Works a lot like the Seq303 s/w, very fluid to work with. I won't really have much time to muck about with it until next week, but my quick impression is, at least the MAM, is fairly simple and straght-forward. I'll give y'all more feedback once I've had a bit of proper playing with it...

Pax

Message 20/34             19-Apr-02  @  11:26 PM   -   RE:

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

watch out for schaltwerk/regelwerk -- the doepfer forum (EZ web or something) has a LOT of posts bemoaning some pretty serious lacks, the worrst of which was: the gate time for every note on a track is fixed (i.e you can set it per-track, but no slides/etc.)... to me this in itself makes the boxes useless for anything but drums...

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot