aaa Octopus envy - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: Octopus envy

Pages: 1 2

Original Message                 Date: 02-Jan-03  @  07:58 AM   -   Octopus envy

Kreature

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

I'm trying to put together a solo live act. It's hard tribal stuff and incorporates much banging of various drums, control of FX, and sequencer jiggery-pokery. Problem is not enough arms.

Without resorting to complete sequencer automation ie. press play and drum along. What can I do / what sequencing advice does anyone have. Is it possible to use a midi keyboard to control on/off (punching) of sequencer channels, if so, result, 88 channel sequencer control. Yes I do intend to use a PC for live sequencing (and mixing with an outboard controler) unless anyone has any better ideas.

While I'm on the subject how the do people like Liam whatsisface (prodigy) and Leftfield do their live shows, please don't say they press play and fiddle with FX/levels.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 11/20             12-Jan-03  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: Octopus envy

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

LOL!!! Well, I sincerely hope I wouldna feel that way about anyone from here, chroma... DT folk, IMO, aren't generally the "look at all my shit.. I can't fugging play to save me ass" types. Most of 'em I've met tend to be more the "Oz" type... Very willing to be the one behind the machines...

I'm also with you that sometimes there's just "too much control" to have to fret over iin a live set... Well, actually I guess I like having the option of using it, I just dunna want to "have to." =)

I've also gotten to the point of keeping individual beats (BD, SD, Hats, etc.) on their own separate channels. I never used much more than three or four channels for synth bits anyhow, so I figured since both my RS and my SQ16 allow me to do so, why not split it up. I actually like that much control over the percussion, makes riding mixes a lot more flexible.

Message 12/20             14-Jan-03  @  06:33 AM   -   RE: Octopus envy

chroma

spawn: i actually do it that way; breaks on ch.1, snares ch.2 hats on ch.3 etc. cool because its easier to do dub style delay bursts on just the snare for example...but kinda scary for me ...i always end up leaping for the right fader/mute button a second too late...i figure it will be easier on me to cut between beats/patterns if it was laid out on my sequencer instead of cutting on the mixer....ah well practice, practice etc.

Message 13/20             15-Jan-03  @  08:53 AM   -   RE: Octopus envy

Mindspawn

I actually got away from using the mixer all that much, too. I mainly do my mutes, volume, and panning via MIDI. About the only time I go for the mixboard is if something is gone whack, like a stuck note or something. I tend to use the mixer more for getting the sounds sorted, I dunna do a lot of "creative" mixing these days.

Occasionally I muck with FX and such via the mixboard, but most of the EQ, faders, and pan pots get set and left alone. Maybe a tweak here now and then, but little else. Of course, I say this and the next time I go out I'm liable to be all over my mixer now that I've opened my mouth...=)

Message 14/20             15-Jan-03  @  02:50 PM   -   RE: Octopus envy

99devils

I set up everything I need for each track on the RM1X... eliminates the octopus effect. One controller, and the RM1X is all I touch live, except in the case of a serious disaster  

-Craig

Message 15/20             15-Jan-03  @  06:13 PM   -   RE: Octopus envy

errata

I use an RM1x and I still want 8 friggin' arms! Hehehe...

MS, I'm the same way... I used to play whole sets on my mixer. Remember when "a mixer without mutes" was worthless? It's a testament to the gear of today that we can set the mixer and leave it alone. That was just impossible 4 years ago!

e

Message 16/20             12-Feb-03  @  04:07 AM   -   RE: Octopus envy

Pongoid

I dunno, I try to use all of my gear that I bring to a gig. If I'm bring my MW, and the controller, I'm gonna try to at least figure out how to do something cool with it during the course of the set. Otherwise, why bring it? Yup, I'll use my mixer and my sequencer to mute and tweek stuff out. Eq's, levels. effects, mutes, whatever. It's all there for a reason, or not there. ANyhoos, yeah, Eight arms would be cool but I have two, so I'll just try to use them as strategicly as possible.

Ape

Message 17/20             12-Feb-03  @  02:26 PM   -   RE: Octopus envy

99devils

Oh, I use it all, but I don't have to physically twiddle the knob on the virus, I use the RM1X's knobs. I play my Nord Rack and Virus from the controller.

That shit's heavy - I wouldn't bring it if I didn't use it  

Message 18/20             12-Feb-03  @  06:33 PM   -   RE: Octopus envy

errata

do people bring gear to a set and not use it?! I got your point Pongoid, if it gives us control, use it... maybe I wouldn't need 8 arms if I took advantage of what's already there, eh?

e

Message 19/20             13-Feb-03  @  09:44 PM   -   RE: Octopus envy

99devils

Actually, I know of an industrial band in the area that dragged tons of shit out to a gig.. Just racks and racks of stuff... But they pretty much pressed play and maybe played a few synth lines and singing and guitars on top. I said, "Why don't you get a sampler and leave anything you're not using realtime at home".. The kid's like "What does a sampler do?"

Fucking kids these days :p

Message 20/20             14-Feb-03  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: Octopus envy

Pongoid

LOL

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot