aaa mmt8 sucks! what else? - Live / PA / gigging forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Mar-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Live / PA / gigging

Subject: mmt8 sucks! what else?

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message                 Date: 11-Dec-02  @  06:51 PM   -   mmt8 sucks! what else?

jp

Link?:  No link
File?:  No file

why anyone would continue to use this arcaic box of garbage is beyond me. yes, i'm bitter, i just started using one a couple months ago and last night i lost EVERYTHING! you can't even back your data up properly. recording pings onto a tape recorded or HD. what is that all about. sure, it was great 30 years ago maybe but there surely must be something better now right?

the main reason i started using it was so that i would not have to stop and start between tracks. i want to have a continuos non stop thing going on. can you do this on an mpc?

basically, this is what i want the sequencer to do:

1. controll midi
2. be able to play an entire set (at least 1 hour) without having to stop and start
3. it would be great to find one that could record onthe fly

any suggestions? i'd even consider a laptop if these ideas where worked out. please help!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 21/33             13-Dec-02  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

jp

oh, i am the worse. but i'm sure you can all relate. gear addiction. ebay addiction. i just bought an Alesis DataDisk SQ MIDI data storage thingy. when will i learn? i need to stop eating ramen noodles. i know the sq ain't that expensive...but it all adds up. i get about a record a day in the mail from ebay. when will i learn?

Message 22/33             13-Dec-02  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

influx

Link?:  Link

why do you need a data disk tho if youre gonna store in logic or whatever

can I say "I told you so?"

I do know somethings 

Message 23/33             13-Dec-02  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

jp

never can tell when the mmt8's gonna take a shit on you. i've heard too many horror stories. the data disk is for gigging. i don't have a laptop and don't plan on bringing a computer to a gig. so i need some immediate way of restoring. of course, that's all off in the future. i'm not even close to doing a live gig. but when i do...

and then, i may have also bought the data disk for overkill. after loosing all my work for the last 3 and 1/2 months i do not want that to happen again. also, the data disk will store midi files and not just sysex. plus it supposidly loads quickly.

maybe my crash was a good thing. better at home now rather than live. and i wouldn't have found out all this extreemly important info from you influx had the crash not happened.

Message 24/33             13-Dec-02  @  12:52 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

psylichon

Link?: Link

very good. learning from your mistakes is important. And backup overkill is a better than underkill. don't lose sleep thinking you're a gear slut

psy

Message 25/33             13-Dec-02  @  01:09 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

influx

Link?:  Link

you can play songs from the datadisk, too...

but of course that wouldnt give you much flexibility

Message 26/33             13-Dec-02  @  02:26 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

xoxos

hey, might not be the best solution, but it's a working solution, and that's good enough.

Message 27/33             15-Dec-02  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

jbuonaccorso

i'll second the yamaha qx-3. step recording, two midi outs, 16 tracks, and it has a built-in datadisk recorder for saving sysex dumps from other synths, etc. all is saved to floppy for easy handling. you can save each song as a sequence, then chain them in any order, saving your whole set on floppy. really though, i've found almost no info for it on the net. they can be had for pretty cheap if you can find one. also, this only goes for the qx-3, i think all the other qx are junk...

Message 28/33             19-Dec-02  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

swanofnever

the only review i could find on the net bemoaned a lack of looping ability.. is there a workaround? (i.e could you possibly chain a song to itself? or what?)..

sort of looking for a cheapish h/w midi seq.. the only problem is that if it can't loop, that kind of sucks..

oh well.

Message 29/33             19-Dec-02  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

influx

swan..Ive seen Q80EXE for $150

thats pretty damn cheap innit?

Message 30/33             20-Dec-02  @  07:59 PM   -   RE: mmt8 sucks! what else?

swanofnever

yeahhhhh... sort of. it depends how poor you are ;)

they seem kinda rare on ebay; many q80s, some q80ex.. actually haven't seen an exe in a long time. alas.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 33 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

claudebot