aaa Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war) - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             22-Jan-00  @  11:44 PM   -   Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

V

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Yamaha comes out with the 4k and 5k series for a lot less then akai s5000...not but a few weeks later akai drops the price on the s5000 and s6000. Consumer 1, high prices 0.

Regards,

V

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             23-Jan-00  @  06:13 AM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

R-Tek

E-mu have dropped prices too, Votive. Consumer 2 money-grabbinf corporations 0.

Message 3/12             30-Jan-00  @  03:26 AM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

Ellipsis

Link?:  Link

all companies come out with products that make old ones outdated, forcing gearwhores to upgrade...consumer:2, mean ol' mofo's : 4

Message 4/12             23-Feb-00  @  09:48 AM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

eddie

yep. how much you think a sampler like a3000 cost them to manufacture it is 2 pc boards in a case with a display on the front? (sounded to easy, i know it is much more complicate, but think about your pc, what it does and compare it to a3000(or any musical equipment priced about your pc say; 1200$)) what do you really think it costs them?
200$ maybe 400? music equipment is the biggest ripp off. But I love'em. fuck roland and their groove approved crap by the way. peaceout.

Message 5/12             23-Feb-00  @  12:36 PM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

R-Tek

A lot of what u pay is actually r+d, and if u get "free" OS updates, the cost of that will b covered within the price of the original unit. Also, u get a LOT less samplers sold than PCs which obviously affects the price considerably.

Message 6/12             27-Feb-00  @  08:33 AM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

eddie

Yeah R-Tek you are right about r&d and Os updates, but we live in a capitalist world, and every corporation is gonaa try to get the most out of it(by ripping people off). And when i was talking about 400$ cost was including everything, really, the hardware doesnt cost that much compared to what they spend on development and ads.

Message 7/12             27-Feb-00  @  12:52 PM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

R-Tek

I think 2 a point they do fix prices though - look at how much the cost of the akai 5/6 and the emu ultra series has come down since the new Yams have arrived - its not as if they`d drop the price so low that they aint gonna still b making a profit. I guess the big 2 (Akai and Emu) pretty much had a monopoly on the sampler scene untill recently.

Message 8/12             27-Feb-00  @  08:49 PM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

V

My boat anchor, er, Akai is for sale when the S4k comes state side mates...S2800i (10meg scsi). Gotta admit, Yammie been killin' the competition...OV1, O2R, etc, and now a sampler whereby one can see what they are doing! Imagine that....

R,

V

Message 9/12             27-Feb-00  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

Ellipsis

Link?:  Link

how do the yams match up to the akai's for drums?...i've never heard/used anything but my s2k...ad for my drum parts, i got no complaints....

Message 10/12             28-Feb-00  @  08:17 AM   -   RE: Akai versus Yamaha (read: price war)

eddie

Yes, r-tek, that was what i was trying to explain but forgot about it when i was writing the message and due to my crappy english. If you think about it price on everything rises becuse of the inflation, wages to factory workers, etc, how come the music tools ( computer/sampler/fx) keep dropping the prices evey month, just about the time a new product hits the market? ( as in akai vs yami vs emu )
And how come places like guitar center, musicians friend, zzounds guarentee they have the lowest prices? Coz their prizes r fuckin same on every product..
check the online catalogs, some stuf is 10-20 bucks off. I dont know how it works nut retailers have some kind of pact... Did anyone used a su700?
anyone? please?

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)