aaa What do you think is the best sampler? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: What do you think is the best sampler?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             04-Apr-00  @  03:46 AM   -   What do you think is the best sampler?

spectral44

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am looking into buying a high end rackmount studio sampler. I have heard many different things about all types of samplers. I have several in mind: the Akais of coarse- S5000 in particualr, the EMU EXXXX series, and the Yamaha A Series.
So what I am trying to do is spark a discussion so you sampler-owners can debate which is best. Then with your feedback I will know which company gets my money  
Rzo

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             04-Apr-00  @  07:36 AM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

R-Tek

no such thing as a "best" sampler, only whats right 4 the individual. Me? Well, I love my Emu Ultra - easliy the most flexible in terms of modulation possibilities and I feel 4 allround sound, its tops too. But thats just me, best thing 4 u 2 do is 2 try and get 2 try them all out in a shop, they all have different sound characteristics and pros and cons.

Message 3/14             04-Apr-00  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

max coombe

akai s3000 will do most things that you want a sampler to do. slightly harsh filters and sound quality but you can't beat the industry standard for convenience if you use outside studios... for extra thump for your drums, you could look into old 12bit samplers which you can pick up cheap 2nd/hand. worth it if you can be bothered.

but r-tek is right, try some out before deciding - don't believe anyone else, it's what works for you.

Message 4/14             04-Apr-00  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

subtex

There is a lot to consider when buying
a sampler such as how you are going to be using it? the akai s series samplers don't have a sequencer but are fairly
easy to use and have a really clean precise sound so if you don't have a sequencer you might want to think about
the other samplers out there such as the
Emu ultras or the yamaha a series because they feature deeper synthesis and feature a sequencer.. also even thoughit's beginning to show it's age the k2000 is also an option but probobly
the most complicated to use of them all

Message 5/14             05-Apr-00  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

Rzo

OK, so you guys are saying try them out first. I gotcha, but what exactly am I looking for here? If it samples at 16 bit, 44k then they should all sound the same, right? (well I know they dont but you get my point)
I dont need a sequencer, I have my bitch, Cubase for that   So what about sound? I want a sampler with the cleanest sound possible (for my drumloops, I like to be able to here ALL the hats without EQing on my console) and massive expansion capabilities. I here the EB fx boards for the Akai's are nice, but then again I have my Midiverb 4 for that. I am still leaning toward the Akai's cuz I have had a chance to doodle with my freind's old S2000. I think its that big graphical interface on the S5000 that makes it so appealing.
Anyone heard anything about the new Yamaha A4000 and 5000. They sure do look nice with those control knobs and that sweet paint job. Theses are also contenders for my pocketbook.

Message 6/14             05-Apr-00  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

R-Tek

they definately *dont* all sound the same. Akais do sound clearer and punchier for drums, but also quite cold and harsh and seriously lacking bottomend. Emus sound warm and fatter though they lose out IMO on the drumsound (and drumsound only). Also, emu samplers are *very* deep, the modulation routings on them mean you can go sooooo much further with one as the basis of your studio.

Message 7/14             06-Apr-00  @  03:18 AM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

KZ

Fairlight is the best sampler in the worls with the best sample collection in the world. that's why you can never find real Fairlight samples for sale.

Message 8/14             06-Apr-00  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

Rzo

Thanks R-tek, for your information has helped me in deciding what sampler to buy. I definitely want wider parameters (emu) that is a must for me. That is what you mean by deeper mod routings right? Like better filters and LFO's& stuff? If thats the case, and the akai's do sound weedy in coparison, ill go with the emuE6400. Hell its only $300 more and you get twice the RAM and FX shipped with it. That sounds like a bang for your buck if you ask me.

Message 9/14             09-Apr-00  @  05:11 AM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

Shoto

When it comes to clean sound , specially for loops, akais are edgeing infront, I have a s5000 /eb 20 effects/ and adat optical giving me another 8 digital outs straight to my soundcard, I have never looked back, a standard s5000 is only 1650$, which is acceptable for such quality, clarity, defintion, brilliant converters.....etc, Emus are muddier, but that is left to your ear to decide....

Message 10/14             09-Apr-00  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: What do you think is the best sampler?

Rzo

Thats cool and all but I dont know if I would feel right putting that much into a sampler that has 2pole filters. Thats weak if you ask me. I want my sampler to fucntion like a true digital synth, meaning I need the extensive modulation capabilities of the EMU. If you can give me any more pros about the S5000 that would be apprieciated. I m still considering it.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)