aaa Live with the MPC - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Live with the MPC

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             03-Jul-00  @  06:32 PM   -   Live with the MPC

bauhauschair

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was wondering exactly how the MPC 2000 or 3000 or whatever fits into a live show (a la Chemical Brothers, or whoever), or, if you prefer, 'live' show. I don't actually own one, I was just really curious. If someone could give me a moderately detailed explaination, or point me to someplace where I could find out, I'd be a very happy camper.
Okay, thanks a lot
Chris

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             09-Jul-00  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

Subtex

well, the mpc 2000/3000 works really well live for real time sequencing of drums/samples and external gear and can be a lot of fun. the only thing I wish about the mpc is that you could sample in real time live like on the roland sp808. it is definately my most used instrument when playing live

Message 3/11             09-Jul-00  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

bauhauschair

Yeah, I can see how the MPC would be great for playing samples and sequences like that. But, what about if you want to manipulate, or at least toy with the loops and samples, to keep them from being repetative...like in some shows, it sounds like the samples get longer, or shorter, or different somehow. Is that just part of how you mix them togehter, or is there soemthing about the MPC that will let you play with samples and sequences in real time? Or, is there another piece of gear that does that? I mean, you could do it in the sampler, I guess, but that seems a little awkaward.

Message 4/11             15-Jul-00  @  06:12 AM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

12bit

The mute/unmute on MPC2000/2000XL rulez. Set up a couple of phat loops and play with the mute-buttons. Mmm.. =)

Message 5/11             15-Jul-00  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

bauhauschair

What about if I want to manipulate my phatest-of-phat loops? I mean, let's say I have a few drum loops and, just for fun, I want to play like a couple of the hits over and over...or I have vocal loops and I suddenly want to loop like a single word, or something else that's equally crazy and nutty? Somehow I think the MPC isn't so good for those types of things. If that is indeed the case, what should I do?

Message 6/11             15-Jul-00  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

12bit

You can always trig samples with the pads with the seq -loops runnin'.... If you wanna do special shit I think you'll have to set it up manually.. A bit trixy, but it can be done...

Message 7/11             15-Jul-00  @  06:49 PM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

bauhauschair

Um...well...do you or anybody else know how it can be done? At least clairfy this...the 'pads' are the ones on the MPC...and the sequenced loops are being run by the MPC as well...right? Or am I totally off the mark there?

Message 8/11             16-Jul-00  @  03:49 AM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

12bit

Right mate. =)

Message 9/11             16-Jul-00  @  05:09 AM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

bauhauschair

Ah, but you don't know how to go about mangling samples and loops in real time do you?

Message 10/11             16-Jul-00  @  09:51 AM   -   RE: Live with the MPC

12bit

I'm not sure what you mean by mangling....
There's nothing special about the sampler part of the MPC. It's actually somewhat restricted, 'cause of it's drum sample "optimization". There's however a slider to wich you can assign, and thus alter, the filter, tuning, decay or attack parameter of a sample.
That's about all I know, hope it helped in some kinda way. =)

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)