aaa Is analog better than Digital? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

12-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Is analog better than Digital?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             02-Dec-98  @  06:45 PM   -   Is analog better than Digital?

mike

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

wondering if digital is up there yet..as far as creating that analog sound?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             04-Dec-98  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

ivan

it depends on what analogue sound you want: nothing really comes close to a real vco machine with good filter, but then you have all the problems with tuning, lack of memories and midi, control with cv and so on (and price).

The newer modules, like Q and Nord Modular comes pretty close, and if it's close enough seems to be a matter of taste.

otherwise, just get a real analogue filter, or an analogue tape machine, or lots of tube outboard gear and run the synths through that to get a more analogue (warmer anyway) sound.

Message 3/12             18-Dec-98  @  09:23 PM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

Mr Realist

I still think the analog 2 inch machines are the best way to capture the "fatness" we all crave (I refuse to spell fat with a ph). A common technique these days is to record on analog and immediately bounce to digital to preserve the high end that wears off from tape.

Mr. Realist

Message 4/12             30-Dec-98  @  03:14 PM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

tom of project x

for me,playing around with acid and creating loops with realish quality sound it has to be analogue,it has more feel to it.digital,in my opinion,is best used for more seirious sound refining.

Message 5/12             21-Jan-99  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

ionicsix

give me analog or give me death.........................but if you give me digital, i'd still use it!

Message 6/12             22-Jan-99  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

aargh! Give me strength.

Message 7/12             24-Jan-99  @  10:51 AM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

fsp

Both have their advantages and disadvantages...
I for one like the old Mellotrons very very very much!
Why? I don't know, maybe because of their not so high frequency output, shakey raw sound?
Those virtual analogs come very close I'd say...
Still the analogs have character and they look good.

Message 8/12             04-Feb-99  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

georgem

I am a raw listener-"very little influence"-when listening to digital i hear more inconsistencies or something (some call it warmth) anyway analague recordings sound much more natural and enjoyable to me-i listen for perfect harmony and melody and the related natural overtones this creates. for example, the vynal records from black sabbath-led zeppelin-hendrix (string type music)are very hard to compare with-
On the other hand-rythmic music and the tracking on digital is great and easier to achieve-good to hear too. My ear has been conditioned over the years toward analogue as have most of the boomers-conversely-the younger industry people and semi-pros are conditioned to hear digital.
My associates in the industry who deal with this daily and continually utilze a hybrid of the two formats relying on digital for rythmic stuff and analogue for the production of those natural overtones-We don't live in an age where you can discriminate-its all about listening and where you want to place yourself on the chain of production (performing-engineering-producing-marketing-etc.)

Message 9/12             10-Feb-99  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

phear_b1

mmmm... great contrib.... I relly feel both are complementary (in my music at least) For mixing, I'm glad I have a digital mixer tho (except for the bad saturation you get forcing the inputs, which isn't the case w/ a Mackie or so...) But nothing touches digital for flexibility and creativity. For the raw 'sound feeling', everybody knows analog feels better tho. It's very subjective. In fact there's no point trying to compare. None of my digital stuff can really...."scream"...like, let's say, my Jup4.

Message 10/12             11-Feb-99  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Is analog better than Digital?

georgem

what is a Jup4-sounds interesting i'm using an alesis 32 -just got it and havent figured it out yet

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)