aaa Nova or Virus or Pulse etc.... - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15             25-Nov-99  @  09:38 AM   -   Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

wai

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Which ynth do go for? I'm not after nice Piano, smooth Brass sounds. What i'm after are some dirty sub bases. Anyone have any suggestions?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             25-Nov-99  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Pulse eats the others, no contest for that sort of thing.

Ape

Message 3/15             25-Nov-99  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

fresh

Hi Wai. Well I own a Virus and absolutely love it. It's got everything under the sun. A totally versatile instrument that's as PHAT or thin as you need it to be. I wouldn't say the Pulse 'eats' the Virus or Nova in any way. I LOVE the classic sound of the Pulse but I'd personally go for even a monophonic Virus over the Pulse. tons of (solid) knobs, huge custom modulation matrix, flexible midi, great fx, powerful vocoder, ring modulation, great table-top design, can't say enough. Never believe it till you've owned it. Factory presets are okay but if that's all you've heard then your in for some suprises. A "Slide the meals under the door for now on" synth. Next someone's gonna say how much it sucks of course but hey it's all subjective. Gonna go for the Korg Z1 and Nova next. You might want to check out the Z1 if you don't know about it.

Message 4/15             26-Nov-99  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

R-Tek

....fukkin `ell Fresh, how much money do u have?.........u could always send any "spare" synths over 2 me, u know..........

Message 5/15             26-Nov-99  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

R-Tek

Oh yeah, Pongoid nudged me in the direction of the Pulse 4 me and I aint looked back. Probably best 2 get that and spend the rest of the money on something else..........hehehe, like a pro-1.......or some outboard.............

Message 6/15             02-Dec-99  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

99devils

I think it depends on what kind of holes you're trying to fill in your setup. If you want ONLY monophonic analog basses and leads, go with a pulse. I mean, that's what it's designed for. If you have no other analog or virtual analog synth available to you, I'd look elsewhere. If you're going to want analog pads, or are going to be using more than one voice at a time, or you're going to want a vocoder, or want to do analog drums without a sampler? Then a Virus or Nova is a better buy.

Personally, I love my Virus. I can't say enough good things about it, and with the Virus 'B' you get a monster synth that's more on-par spec-wise with the Supernova for a little more than the price of a Nova.

Virus Virus Virus Virus Virus. The Virus is the best of the VAs, IMHO, capable of the widest variety of analog foo, and completely capable of sounds you can't get with the others, thanks to the addition of digital waveforms in addition to the standard VA oscillators. I'd buy it again!

-Craig

Message 7/15             15-Dec-99  @  06:30 AM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

12bit

Which one is the better for wicked basslines (f e ram trilogy, decoder etc)

Message 8/15             15-Dec-99  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

wai

Got delivery of a Pulse Plus, sounds ok, but i'm gonna exchange it for a Virus B. I'll let you know on that one.
i dunno what Decode, Ram uses but i do know that Blame use a Supernova. He's in the current FM. Where you from 12 bit?

Message 9/15             16-Dec-99  @  08:13 AM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

joe

Link?: Link

Virus b, good move.

RAM:
e6400 - I think most stuff ends up being sampled by this.
JV1080
Triton
Cubase
Future Retro 777 (can't confirm this)
Loads of other stuff, but not sure what.

I've found that the best thing for hard nasty bass noises is a Microwave 1 through a distortion pedal, but most other stuff will do good things too.

I've used AN1x, JV1080, Micromodular and A3000 at different times all for nasty bass sounds.

Never used my Virus for that kind of thing but then it was only delivered yesterday :o)

Joe.

Message 10/15             16-Dec-99  @  04:23 PM   -   RE: Nova or Virus or Pulse etc....

99devils

I've used my Virus for nasty basses, and it's great at them... Nord Lead is also great for that kind of thing. I haven't got any experience with the Pulse, so I can't comment.

-Craig

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)