aaa Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             20-Jun-98  @  01:15 PM   -   Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

horace

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Greetings, what is the A/D converters like on the Maxi, I know the Terratec is 18-bit but why does it cost so much more? Does the Maxi have an on board sampler? What is the s-n ratio?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             22-Jun-98  @  01:08 PM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

stephenb

check out the new Terratec EWS64 S. Similar features of the XL with a slightly poorer s-n but at only £149.
It's been recieving some cool reviews.

www.terratec.co.uk

Message 3/16             24-Jun-98  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

rich

Maxi card can only be politely described as f***ing noisey.noise floor averages -60db at best, usually more like -50db !!! which is terrible. Terratec on the other hand do make some reasonably quiet cards. I used the Maxi sound for a while and it does have the advantage of having on board power to enable extra tracks, but it's not significant.

Message 4/16             24-Jun-98  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

Clemens.Kurtz

Ups........ hey rich, do you really have such trouble with your Maxi-card?

Noisy?

I have one too, but no such problems.

Ciao

Clemens

Message 5/16             25-Jun-98  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

Noomehtninam

I guess you guys have got different cards. I think there are at least three different ones in the Maxi range + some older versions.

Message 6/16             26-Jun-98  @  10:28 AM   -   rich

yeah, that would appear to be the case. Mine is very noisy but it is also rather old. It sort of boils down to a trust thing. I've been bitten by Maxisound cards and now I don't like them. They promised me it would be a quiet card, and I beleived them !!1 I don't doubt, however, that the newer ones are probably a lot better !!!
I bought a GINA instead.....
cheers
rich

Message 7/16             26-Jun-98  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

The Maxi sound and I think the Terratec cards too, have useless S/PDIFs! For some strange reason, instead of just outputing whetever's playing, the cards apply some compression to the signal. So you play a signal at 0db, and instead it compresses it to -3db!!! That's totally unacceptable by itself, but imagine what will happen to the signal when transfering back and forth to a DAT! So much for the "professional" part of these sound cards.
I just hope Creative Labs finally releases their Live sound card...

Message 8/16             30-Jun-98  @  08:35 AM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

Noomehtninam

As for the Terratec card, I think the compression was meant to avoid clipping, but it couldn't be turned off in the first software versions.

Message 9/16             01-Jul-98  @  11:35 PM   -   RE: Maxi Sound v Terratec EWS64XL

I call this little piece "buyer beware"

First I bought a creamware mmport. Running a dell 266 pII, it wouldn't work. Was online w/ creamware and dell and they coulnd't help for shit, wouldn't take any irq's, conflicts galore, etc etc...returned it and bought a terratec 64XL, looked cool, had some cool features, good specs...whatever! Although it installed like a breeze, the sound quality is far from professional. 1/8 inputs, what the fuck is that! Going in sp/dif from dat, my sounds lost their brilliance? arggggghh!!! all i want is a pro card that is not "demo" quality. Returned that one and purchased a gina w/ a midiman external d/a converter. For the love of God I hopeI finally get a great sounding card!
I hope someone shares my pain   Oh, my brother has the maxisound card, it really is a great card for the money if your into messing around with audio for fun and like multimedia games, certainly not a pro card by any means but hey, for 200 beans, not a bad choice for an all around card, peace out

Message 10/16             25-Jul-98  @  05:02 PM   -   Maxi Sound Home Studio Pro 64 and fake S/PDiF

jmp

I have one question to Clemens who I see is an expert in Maxi. Recently I bought one and I must say there is one thing I am very disappointed- S/PDiF. I do here a lot of clicks when I am receiving data from my portable SONY TCD-D8. It is not because of DAT. EVERY recording made using S/PDiF connection is bad. I have read that's because this card doesn't allow to switch in a slave mode, that's why these problems with synchro. Maybe somebody would like to say something about that? And what about another card by Hanmesoft Sound Track PCI 97 which is quite similar to Terratec except of price (195$ plus 95$for digi i/o board) and this one is a PCI card. Has anybody heard about it?

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)