aaa DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             27-Dec-98  @  12:10 PM   -   DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             27-Dec-98  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

Haven't you been reading other threads? We've been discussing APS over and over. Even I who have APS and like it think that there's been said enough about APS.

Rafael

Message 3/22             28-Dec-98  @  05:11 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Message 4/22             28-Dec-98  @  07:30 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

I bought the Sw1000xg and am happy with it. I also bought Reality about a year ago. If you want to use your own samples you could buy Reality for $299.00. It has unlimited Ram storage (1 gigabyte) the APS has only 32mb. Of course you could just download the Crack. Alt.binaries.sound.utilities. The choice is yours. I would have bought the APS except in my opinion 32 megs is a little limited for todays samplers. If they could raise this number to say 128 megs then I would say go for it. I heard the APS only outputs at 48hz though.

Message 5/22             28-Dec-98  @  10:34 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

I don't understand why people see the 32MB limit in APS as a such a bad thing. Ok... It'd better with higher limit. Me however never have reached the limit yet. Rafael

Message 6/22             28-Dec-98  @  11:15 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafeal. Your right to some degree. 32mb is plenty good if you are using sound fonts or other professionally produced multi-samples. However, in my opinion, the whole point of sampling is being able to record your own samples or pick and choose from other people. If you buy audio cd,s with sounds THEY ARE NOT LOOPED! This is the the only bitch about sampling that gives me a headache. I suppose its the basis behind the gigasampler. I certainly don't need a 1 gigabyte piano. I am not that fussy. But when making my own multi samples each sample needs to be at least 4-8 seconds long to sustain notes if your not going to spend the HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS AND HOURS, trying to get good loop points. If all your going to do is use professional soundfonts, then go ahead and get the APS. If not consider what I have said. 32 megs is sufficient but of course more is always better.

Message 7/22             29-Dec-98  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

I get yor point, whater your name is ;-). And yes, I think too that more RAM would give you much flexibility.

I still remember a sampler module I once had (2 years ago)which I then considered as a technical miracle when I bought it. It was a Roland S550 and it had 1 or 2 Mb. Now 32 is not enough! Time changes...

Rafael

Message 8/22             30-Dec-98  @  01:50 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

adams04

Hi Raphael
Have you done any serious Audio recordings yet?
I had a lot of trouble getting error-free Wavs with my Maxi HSP64,and finally the sync went completely so i,ve sent it back for testing.

I may well be looking for a new card to replace mine so Audio in a Sequencer is very important to me.

Can you explain what i do if i want to convert all my music,samples from 44Khz to 48? Everything i did this year was at 44,so i want to know if its a big hassle to convert my stuff or not?

cheers Carey(mutant)

Message 9/22             30-Dec-98  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

Rafael

I'm not an expert on audio. All I have are some humble opinions. If you want to replace your card with APS only to get better HD-recording, there are better options. HD-recording is not APS' main function. I haven't really used that function that much yet to be able to say anything more specific.

The good thing about APS is that you can prolong audio recording playing around with midi, because of the many effects on APS. This way you can experiment much more before you start recording.

Rafael

Message 10/22             30-Dec-98  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: DO YOU OWN AN (APS)? PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT

I have an APS, and I can say that it is an excellent card for audio recording. While the main attraction to the card is its midi and sampling capabilities, the card has excellent features for pure audio recording as well. I've been very pleased with the sound quality and the quality of the effects. I also have the Maxi HSP64, and I consider the APS a big step up in terms of flexibility, ease of use and effects implementation.

The only disadvantage of the APS relative to some other cards out there, from an audio standpoint, is that there is only 1 stereo buss for the audio. By contrast, the Yamaha SW1000XG, for example, has 3 stereo busses, which enables you to route some audio tracks through a "clean" buss (no effects) and some through 2 other busses with effects, with all busses being summed before they are output from the card. There's only 1 physical stereo output, but internally there are 3 busses to work with. With the APS, there's only 1 stereo buss for audio, so effects you apply to the audio buss will be applied to all audio tracks. I think the HSP64 has 4 internal stereo busses, but the effects are so limited you don't really get the opportunity to use these busses effectively.

Bob

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)