aaa Big mistake... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Big mistake...

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/28             30-Aug-00  @  07:32 AM   -   Big mistake...

hemarve

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I recently bought a M-Audio DiO 2448, with digital/optical I/O. I knew it did not have any analogue inputs, but I thought -Ok, I´ll just use the digital input for recording into my sequencer then.

This was a big mistake, since none of my gear has a digital output!

Is it possible to record analogue sounds into the computer with this card?
In that case, how do I do it?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/28             30-Aug-00  @  09:23 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

DOH!

analog to digital converter.

Message 3/28             30-Aug-00  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

hemdarve

Link?:  Link

DOH!!!!?

Yes, I know that this has probably been discussed more than once before on this board, but: What about "analog to digital converter"? Is that like an external adapter you put between your gear and the card?

Im no genious, I know, but please reply anyway.

Message 4/28             30-Aug-00  @  09:56 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

DOH just meant that it was a mistake indeed...
can't you take it back to shop?

ADC is mebbe not so useful option

(ADC is thing which converts analog signal to digital. Yes you put it inbetween your soundsource and card. Usually it is (ithink) it's a rack with multiple ins and outs. And it's propably expensive...)

how many inputs\outputs there is? what other gear you have?
I'd consider buying digital mixer. It has analog ins and digital out... something like FOSTEX VM04 or 08 or 88. better yet would be mixer with ADAT out/in (i think VM88 has). then you could use optical connection of your card. There is 8 signal travelin in ADAT connections at the same time (your card would be 8 in and 8 out card which is*very*good thing)
And there's usually some FX processors on digital mixers which u could use to beef up your sound.
Digital mixer can be (where you live and what's your budget?) expensive but prices are coming down i suppose.

What other gear you have?

Message 5/28             30-Aug-00  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

Defector Z

Link?: Link

Return your Digital I/O card - you have no need for it until you get equipment with digital outs.

and Dude - do some homework. Yes mistakes happen, but come on!! I don't mean to sound harsh here, but you GOTTA know the difference between digital and analog.

Go get yourself a soundcard with analog I/O's.

Message 6/28             30-Aug-00  @  10:07 AM   -   RE: Big mistake...

There's the link for fostex diggies.

I was offered vm08 for 190 quid but dealer was desperate to get rid of them and you're propably nowhere near were i live...

Message 7/28             30-Aug-00  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: Big mistake...

hemdarve

Yeah, sure, I know the difference between analog & digital, but I thought the signal became digital INSIDE the card, I did not think the input could ONLY handle signals that were ALREADY digital, d´ya know what I mean?

Well, I could always take it back to the shop, but I bought it like 2 months ago (before I bought the computer on which I use the card), so I would´nt be getting all my money back (I think).

M-Audio does have good & fast support, so I want to stick with them if I´m gonna change to another card.
The Delta 44 would be perfect if it had digital I/O.

However, is it necessary to use digital outputs if I´m gonna record something to a DAT, or can I use analog outputs?

Thanks.

Message 8/28             30-Aug-00  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Big mistake...

Defector Z

Depends what your DAT has. Make sure you get a DAT machine with Dig I/O and analog I/O. Cover your bases there. The worst thing that you could do is try to return it. If you wanna stick to M Audio and you don't mind having two cards - a dig card and an analog card - then adding the Delta 44 is a good option. That could work. I'd be interested in hearing how the two of htem play together.

Message 9/28             30-Aug-00  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: Big mistake...

hemdarve

Yeah, that would be very nice, having 2 cards of that caliber in my system . The reason why I´m hesitating is that I use a Soundblaster PCI 128 for the MIDI, which would make my computer use no less than 3 soundcards.

I think that would be pretty unreliable, with a lot of conflicts, but I could be wrong. What do you think?

Message 10/28             30-Aug-00  @  03:45 PM   -   RE: Big mistake...

Defector Z

Sounds like you need the Hoontech. :-) 3 cards? Doable - I wonder what kind of conflicts you're gonna ahve with the Soundblaster, though. I don't know - how do they play with other cards? Looks like lots of IRQs gone as well. Dunno - the Hoontech solution looks like a real winner. M Audio has the Delta 1010 that I was looking at - $700, though, if you have it. Aardvark has the Aark 24, as well. Similar features, but ALOT more money. There have to be other Midi I/O digital I/O cards out there. Doesn't that Soundblaster have digital I/O?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 28 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)