aaa My Pc as a mixer - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: My Pc as a mixer

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             31-Aug-00  @  09:57 AM   -   My Pc as a mixer

jdifool

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

I dream of a setup where I can mix in my PC the signals from VST, softsynths and, last but not least, a few external gears. The whole thing in realtime of course. The mix would be done either in VST(why not?) or in the mixer of the card...

I know I can do it with Pulsar, but I wouldn't use all the synth part so It's a bit of a waste. Creamware released the Lunar for this purpose, but it's too expensive for what it is and the mixer looks a bit like a toy...

So my questions are:
I don't know if I can do it with the DSP factory, can I?
Is there others card that can do it?

Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             01-Sep-00  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

jdifool

Ok, I've checker the hoontech. Impressive for the price. But the mixer looks as well like a toy compore to the DSP factory ones...
Something I don't anderstand: Can I, in VST, select one of the input of the card as the IN of a track and just monitor: VST playing and the data comming from the input won't have any delay?

Message 3/12             01-Sep-00  @  05:55 PM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

Defector Z

I'm not sure I understand the question. You want to plug your outboard gear into the computer via a soundcard, play them all at once (if you are trying to arrange a song, for example, and have the outs from the soundcard go to monitors?

Message 4/12             02-Sep-00  @  05:07 AM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

Peace of advice needed...

I've got acid song running and all the tracks routed thru hoontech to outboard mixer then to compressor and to vitalizer and back to stereo channel of my desk. from there i take it to hoontech inputs 1and2...

So how should i record it? i noticed there's some snapping/popping (not from volume) when i recorded it with acid... what program should i use cooledit maybe? or what would be best solution (routing also) with that sort of equipment?

Message 5/12             02-Sep-00  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

jdifool

Yes defector, that's it. I have VST running, the midi goes to outboards, the audio from the outboards go in the sound card's inputs, then into VST mixer inputs and are mixed with the regular audio from VST to the card ouput.
I know it is possible with the pulsar...
Interesting isn't??

Message 6/12             02-Sep-00  @  10:48 AM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

jdifool

Yes defector, that's it. I have VST running, the midi goes to outboards, the audio from the outboards go in the sound card's inputs, then into VST mixer inputs and are mixed with the regular audio from VST to the card ouput.
I know it is possible with the pulsar...
Interesting isn't??

Message 7/12             02-Sep-00  @  10:53 AM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

jdifool

Sorry for the double post...

Actually there is a thread in the forum which answerd the question, "How is Hoontech?", the answer is YES. The thing is possible with outboard gears.
Now the next question is about softsynth like Reaktor and others, how can I make them go into the VST mixer if they don't support Rewire???
Pulsar provide some kind of virtual audio port, the synth choose it as an output and the mixer as an input. A bit like Virtual Audio Cable but without any latency... Any other??

Message 8/12             05-Sep-00  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

Espoo2

I think its called Hubi's Midi Loopback device... or something like that...
Its in the files section of this site.

Message 9/12             06-Sep-00  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

jdifool

No, no, Hubi stuff are for midi, nothing to do with it.

Message 10/12             06-Sep-00  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: My Pc as a mixer

k

guys you are asking s/w synths to do things that they aint designed to do - either stick with rewqire synths, (if that is what you want), or you have to somehow route these indie s/w synths somehow back into your cards inputs, or mix in hardware live to dat etc... you cant have everything. if you are trying to acheoive a quality multimode analog modeller in a pc with s/w, then expect to buy a dedicated pc for it, and route that into your cards input on the music multitrack/mixer pc - but to try to do it all on one and expect the same flexibility is mad. -

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)