aaa E5000Ultra or Akai S5000 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             14-Jan-00  @  02:36 PM   -   E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

wez

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am thinking of buying one of the above.
Can anyone give me an unbiased recommendation on one of these two samplers.

cheers.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             15-Jan-00  @  08:53 PM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

wai

For the price, i'd go for the Akai although you'll have to keep on waiting until they realease an OS that fixes ALL the bugs. 1.3 s'posse to, but try connecting it to a SCSI chain, nightmare as i've been told. If i was you, get another 2-300 quid and go for 6400 ultra, far more superior.
To me, s5000 and e5000 are in different classes, so why are AKAI selling them for cheaper? I think cus no o nme's buying them shit. Send me an e-mail and i'll give you a number for a dealer that are doing 6400's for £1400 cash.

Message 3/12             16-Jan-00  @  05:59 AM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

fvicente

Hi,

Well, I don't know about where you're from but everywhere I've seen the E-5000, it was less expensive than the Akai S5000. If wez@studio69.freeserve.co.uk (sorry didn't leave a name) does not need the extra outputs or wants to go digitally out of the sampler, then the E5000 is a good fit. EOS (the E-mu Operating System) is fairly stable now where the Akai OS needs some maturity time.

I bought an E5000 myself after debating the same thing.

HTH
Fernando

Message 4/12             16-Jan-00  @  07:59 AM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

sitar

Link?:  Link

The December issue of Future Music as a review of the 5000 (pictured on the cover). I haven't read it 'cause my subscription starts wit February, but just saw it on their sight futurenet.com.

Message 5/12             16-Jan-00  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

sitar

Link?:  Link

There are also a couple of reviews at SOS of the 5000. You need to be a subscriber to read the full review. Sorry I'm not looking up Akai revues but I am sure that using search at SOS you can find those too.

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/search/query.asp

Message 6/12             16-Jan-00  @  10:32 AM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

R-Tek

Akais have a toppier sound which, depending on your view is either clear and crisp or fragile and gutless. E-MU synths r untouchable as synth units (barring Kurzweils) and have a much fatter, bassier sound which huge modulation possibilities. Akais have a much nicer drumsound and r much crisper 4 general acoustic sounds but u don`t get a great deal comparitively in the way of modulation. Personally, I think the e-mu is a nicer allround unit, but it only has 4 outs and the cost of the extra 8 is excessive 2 say the least (list price 459 notes) whereas the Akai comes with the 8.............it all depands on what u want from your sampler, if its a production workhorse get an E-Mu, if u just wanna run some drums and drop a few othe relements into the mix, then akai is fine (though you`ll get pretty much the same thing on a cheapr akai unit, if thats all u want from it). Unless u want 2 run an adat, then it`ll prolly b best 2 stay away from the emu cos of the cost of extra outs, but I can`t help but think the akai falls a bit flat as a complete unit..............personally, I`d find the extra dough 4 the 6400 Ultra - jubbly.

Message 7/12             17-Jan-00  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

fvicente

Hi,

The difference in price between the E6400 and the E5000 is roughly about the same as the list price of the 8 output expansion (except you'd have 12 outs instead of 8 on the E5000). The E5000 is really not that bad when you compare the 2 units. EOS is pretty stable and the only real differences are on the outs and polyphony capability (when the E6400 is expanded).

I bought an E5000 Ultra and am very happy with it. I nearly bought the E6400 Ultra but, to get the extra outs, it would cost about the same as the E6400. I'll be going out via ADAT so that doesn't matter. I thought about the polyphony (E5000 limited to 64 while the E6400 can be expanded to 128 by buying an option) briefly. When I compared the cost of 2 E5000's vs. one E6400 with the polyphony option, I was only paying a couple of hundred dollars more. Plus, your midi timing is better sending 64 notes to 2 separate midi ports than 128 notes to 1 midi port.

I also chose the E5000 against the S5000 because the OS is more stable.

HTH.
Fernando

Message 8/12             17-Jan-00  @  08:36 PM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

wai

Sorry, infact the s5000 is more than the e5000, by £100. Wow!!! what a price difference considering the different class. Akai NEEDS to get their OS sorted, personally i think EMU has got the edge in market terms, that's why Akai are selling the 5000 that cheaply.

Message 9/12             18-Jan-00  @  11:19 AM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

ssriliel

Don't support the Akai's philosophy
of making money.
I have my reasons
(sonic research Liveset ILIEL)

Message 10/12             18-Jan-00  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: E5000Ultra or Akai S5000

R-Tek

Fernando - maybe your side of the pond the prices r different, cos a 5K with the 8 outs costs quite a bit more than the 6400.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)