aaa Cost of fully expanded E5000?? - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             18-Jan-00  @  11:22 AM   -   Cost of fully expanded E5000??

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I was just wondering how much the E5000, fully expanded with the Planet Phatt/Orbit, and E synth expansion costs??

And do you reckon that it's a good idea to get these??

Thanks,

Si.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             18-Jan-00  @  11:33 AM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

fvicente

Link?:  No link

Hi Simon,

At zZounds (www.zzounds.com) or 8th Stree Music's (www.8thstreet.com) websites the cost will be $1349 + 229 + 229 or $1807 total before any taxes or shipping.

You should have a listen to those boards to see if you like both of them or one of them or none of them. I personally don't like either of them so I didn't spend my money on those. Instead, I upgraded the memory and bought a hard drive. IMHO, you can buy a couple of CD Roms for that price which may have better sounds. The only thing that you won't get then is the instant access since you would have to load those sounds in manually. You would also need to buy a SCSI CD Rom drive.

It all comes down to what you need and what you like. Only you can really answer this question. Certainly others can give you their opinions though.

HTH
Fernando

Message 3/11             18-Jan-00  @  12:03 PM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

Thanks Fernando :-)

I'm into the usual tech/hard trance genre. I can remember vaguely hearing the Orbit about 18 months ago, and liking it but I don't know about now.

Do you know if the expansions are actual synths or just a host of samples from the synths?? I still have a little problem understanding the way that samplers can change the pitch of a sample without actually distorting or screwing around with the sample, but I know that I'll find that out when I get one :-)

Anyway, thanks again,

Si.

Message 4/11             18-Jan-00  @  02:36 PM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

fvicente

Hi Simon,

The ROM expansions are *not* synths. These expansions merely contain the raw samples and presets onboard. You can modify those presets and save them to flash to have your own tweakings. The E5000 (and all EOS samplers) have built-in synthesis-type of features which allow you to shape and manipulate those samples. It is quite powerful actually.

Where the benefits come from on these boards is having those presets available to you immediately without having to specifically load them in.

Note, that with the ROM boards installed, you can only access 64 Mb of RAM, even if you have 128 Mb of RAM installed in the machine. This is not a limitation specific to the E5000 but to all of the EOS samplers :-(.

Fortunately, you can switch turn the ROM expansion on and off through a software switch in the operating system (requires a reboot though I think).

HTH.
Fernando

Message 5/11             24-Jan-00  @  11:17 PM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

wai

Or you can back up the rom onto zip, but then you'll have to go thro each preset and changing each sample's location.
I had an E Synth rom, and i'll have to say it's not too tuff. saying that they make extensive use of the cord patches. you can go into the patches and seee how this and that is done. So i s'posse you can learn from them

Message 6/11             12-Feb-00  @  08:55 PM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

rainbowbright

Was it just my immagination or did someone somewhere say that u could put a Proteus2000 in aswell as the Esynth, Phat & Orbit?
Hope so

Message 7/11             13-Feb-00  @  05:04 AM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

fvicente

Hi,

It must be your imagination. My understanding is that the Proteus2000 has some of the sounds from the E-Synth board built in. What you can do with one of the upcoming releases of the Operating System is create ROM boards to put in the Proteus2000. This eliminates the need to bring your sampler to and from gigs since you can author your own ROM boards.

I'm not sure if this feature will be released with EOS 4.1 (end of Feb) or if it will only be built into 4.5 (April).

HTH
Fernando

Message 8/11             24-Feb-00  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

Hello again Fernando.

I was just wondering about one of the responses that you have listed above.

If I had a SCSI equipped PC (controller and hard disk), could I link the sampler directly to the PC via SCSI?? I know that samples can be uploaded directly from sound editors like Wavelab/Sound Forge, but I'm not sure if this is done via SCSI or another method. Would this be as efficent as an internal hard disk on the sampler and a SCSI Cd-rom, as it would be cheaper, or would I have to go with the more expensive option.

Thanks for your help,

Si.

Message 9/11             24-Feb-00  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

fvicente

Hi Si,

Well, it all depends on what you want/need to do. If you will be creating your own samples and prefer to edit them in the PC, then your best bet is to use a program like Soundforge/Wavelab and transfer the edited samples to the E5000 via SCSI. Yes, SCSI is the method for doing this. You can also do it via MIDI but it is extremely slow. I tried it with my old S-760 once and it took close to 1 minute for a simple snare drum sample with a little bit of ambience. For loops and stuff, it will take a lot longer. Via SCSI, that same snare drum sample would only have taken a second.

It is not necessary though, if you're trying to cut costs. Pretty much most of the sample editing features are built in to EOS (the operating system). The only thing you won't be able to do is run the sample through a Direct/X plugin or VST plugin. If you plan on mostly using CD-Roms, then you'd be best off with the SCSI CD Rom drive and either an internal hard drive or a Jaz or something.

Note also that EOS uses a proprietary hard drive format. You will *not* be able to save a sample on the Jaz drive and then load it into your pc by connecting your Jaz to your PC. In fact, you'll actually corrupt the hard drive data (blame Windows not E-mu).

HTH
Fernando

Message 10/11             07-Mar-00  @  12:04 AM   -   RE: Cost of fully expanded E5000??

peat

I got mine for 1250 + 249 for each ROM.
If you sample don't get the chips, if you can afford it get the orbit module, or the 2000 module. They offer way more flexiblity and control. With the ROm cards yes, you do have sounds to edit into your own, but it's really just a kick ass ,easy to use sampler.
I use it w/Recycle, and even on it's own it kicks ass when sampling directly into it. The sample placement is a dream, I don't understand why people use anything else.
So if you get it consider getting another module as well, and leave the chips out, so you can have 128megs of
samplin! You can get a used/or even new Orbit for around $600. that's roughly the cost of the chips. The Ultra Presets are nothing to exciting, I really dig the drums on the O/P ROM though.

My $.02

peatmos

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)