aaa SCSI cd-rom - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: SCSI cd-rom

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             25-Feb-00  @  06:51 PM   -   SCSI cd-rom

gloria.chui

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am having trouble finding an external SCSI CD-ROM in my part of the world. I'm in Halifax, Canada. Do you know of anyone who has a compatible CD-reader I could buy? I have had my ulta-5000 for two weeks only playing with the dam piano sounds. Just got RAM today (64MB chip was $130 U.S.) so a cheap 4x or somthing would be good. Can anyone suggest a site to buy from? Any store in Toronto (all you fellow Canadians) Thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             25-Feb-00  @  07:16 PM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

Frostbyte

It seems i'm going to be looking for one too. I'll keep you posted on what I find. I'm in Montreal.

later

Message 3/11             26-Feb-00  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

Ison

I too will look for an external Scsi HD.
I expect poor results

Message 4/11             26-Feb-00  @  03:55 PM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

jondl

If all you are interested in is a CD-ROM - not a CDR or CDRW - then I would recommend you pick up a current issue of any of the popular PC/Mac periodicals and check the advertising index in the latter section of the mag. There are loads of loads of samll dealers who sell NOS or refurbs at cheap prices. There;s alwasy eBay too. I regularly see folks selling CD-ROMS with tag lines like "E-mu CD-ROM" - read the actual ad and the person will come clean that it is really 'brand x' but 'swears' it works with E-mu gear...

good luck.

Message 5/11             26-Feb-00  @  05:07 PM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

R-Tek

Most external drives will work with the new Ultra series. I got my x24 NEC for £89 english which is maybe 160USD (dunno about Canadian). Theres loads about right now over here, at least, so maybe checking the stores South of the border will bear fruits if their hard 2 find in Canada.

Message 6/11             29-Feb-00  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

yams

This is funny because i just got my e5000 1 week ago and I've been playing the piano sounds until today. Everybody wants USB instead of scsi, why i don't know. But one other option until you get your external cd-rom drive is use a cd-player, any will do, and get some audio cables to hook it in the one of the inputs so you can sample audio cd's. Once you do this you will know what this awesome gear will do for you.

Message 7/11             06-Mar-00  @  05:40 PM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

Ison

I became so fucked off with searching in vain for compatible devices i simply contacted Syntec in Germany.
This is the European Company that EMU recommends on their Drive Compatibility pages.
Within a day they had responded with details of how my wishlist could be made real.
In the end i settled on a 6.4GB Quantum HD a 40X Toshiba CD Rom and even a now discontinued Internal 100Mb zip.
This comes in a handy 2U rackmount and should be costing under £500.
Okay so this is the same price as a whole low end Pc but the hassle of buying inapropriate drives will have been avoided.
And of course it will all be racked up in one place with no unacceptably long trailing wires to prejudice the data.
I am at peace.

Message 8/11             12-Mar-00  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

sitar

Link?:  Link

I did the same thing in the states for my 4XT Ultra. EMU sells compatible scsi cd rom drives. I asked them to ship me one. Funny though. At the time, maybe 5 months ago, Emu's site had a list of compatible cd roms and said that you needed to use a relatively slow cd rom drive like 12X or 16X. I'd check with Emu on that. This info is probably too late. hope you all got something already.

Message 9/11             12-Mar-00  @  08:17 PM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

wai

i got mine 12x pioneer front loader for £50 second hand, don't even know if that's in the compatibility list, but i know for a fact that it's sweet

Message 10/11             10-Apr-00  @  12:18 AM   -   RE: SCSI cd-rom

lqdsnddist

if anyones intrested, ive got a nice NEC external 4x scsi drive. it also has audio jacks on the back, if you want to use it as a cd player. Id like to get like $75 for it

if you want to go cheap, i have a 2x toshiba, (its an internal drive) and an external power supply case for it. Id sell both for $30. its works great actually, just isnt the best or fastest thing out there

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)