aaa Live sequencer - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Live sequencer

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/22             13-Apr-00  @  06:48 AM   -   Live sequencer

sitar

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Within a years time I hope to be going live with my partner in dancemusic. I'm thinking hardware sequencer. I do all of my sequencing using Logic right now but have concerns about using a pc live.

Right now I have 2 possibilities. The one I'm asking about here is to use my E4XT ultra as my live sequencer. The other is to use my Roland XP-80. I know a lot of people use hardware like the RMX-1, or Roland's MC-XXs, and others. The type of music I am doing can best be described as Orbital-like. Does anyone here use their sampler to control live sets? I've never done this and if I can go without purchasing a hardware sequencer and use what I have without having to sacrifice spontaneity, I would be happy. Thanks much.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/22             13-Apr-00  @  05:35 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

k

Link?:  No link

hey sitar.. why not try a test... save a small logic arrangement as a midifile and see if it'll load into the XP... if not try setting the XP in record and sync-slave, and then with Logic set to out clock as master, play Logic, and see if you can stream-record the data over via a midi cable to the xp then save it to it's drive... then try it playing back...

Message 3/22             14-Apr-00  @  07:32 AM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

Thanks K for both forums. I will try that today I hope. Like I said in the other other forum, I suspect you know what will happen already  

Message 4/22             14-Apr-00  @  11:44 AM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

1/2 way there. I saved a midi format file to floppy and loaded it into the XP-80. The XP-80 played it back but at this point I had to send midi from the XP-80 to the Supernova via Logic. Whatever track was selected in Logic was the one track that the midi would pass through. I sit there and watch the programs changing on that Logic track. No polyphony so I have to set about figuring out how to set the XP connection to the Supernova to get polyphony. Once I figure that out, I can add on my other modules. I have to figure out how to not use the computer as a go between though.

Message 5/22             14-Apr-00  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

OK here's what I'm thinking. I unplug the midi connection from my pc and in the pc's place put the XP. Then I just figure out how to use the XP as if it was Logic or Cakewalk. And come to think of it, both of those proggies have virtual keyboards so it's basically the same thing. only problem is that my midi interface is connected by way of parallel port to the pc and the XP doesn't have a parallel port. But once I figure out how to get around that I should be golden. Just thinking out loud, but if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears...as always  

Message 6/22             15-Apr-00  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: Live sequencer

R-Tek

Assuming the XP is only 16 part......

XP out=============>Supernova Midi In

Supernova out================>Xp in

and then connect that luvlee FS1Rs midi in 2 the Supernovas Midi thru and then yer doc202s midi in 2 the Yams midi thru.

u wont b able 2 use your pc midi interface with it, if the xp has 2 sets of midi ports, then give the Yam and Sn their own in and out. Apparently, the sequencer on the XP80 is meanta b [retty damn fine so u should have no worries matey.

Message 7/22             15-Apr-00  @  12:04 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

Thanks R-Tek. Except with all of that midi through, won't I have problems with timing glitches when there are too many notes?

Another thing is that if that is the way to do it, the 4XT ultra has 2 sets of midi ins/outs giving me 32 channels. I guess I need to experiment and find out which is more spontaneous to use live.

Message 8/22             15-Apr-00  @  02:22 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

R-Tek

forgot about your emu alltogether :-( depending on whats more important in your rig, give either that or the SN the in/out. I dont think you`ll b able 2 take advantage of the emus 32part timbrality *unless* u use the emus internal sequencer, I haven`t played with it too much but it seemed solid enuff 4 live use...........which gives me an idea - u could slave the emus sequencer 2 the XP which`ll give ya more ins, outs and throughs 2 connect everything up, and keep it all solid. I dunno too much about this kinda thing, but I`m sure its possible and very workable.

Message 9/22             15-Apr-00  @  03:02 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

That sounds promising. My main concern in all of this is that I want to find out how agile these pieces are outside of the studio...if I can do things quickly when I need to. I have to experiment. But thanks again amigo. That really is probably where it's gonna be at.

Message 10/22             15-Apr-00  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Live sequencer

sitar

Then again, is there some kind of midi interface that I could plug the XP into and it would function in the same way the pc does. in other words, instead of using the midi throughs my other modules would plug in and out of this midi interface the same way they do now and it would be the XP instead of the pc from where I can control everything? some of these bands have a dozen pieces of gear and they can't all be running through eachother.

And how the hell do remember all the gear I have ;(

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)