aaa Beat Munger 2 - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Beat Munger 2

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18             22-Aug-00  @  05:38 AM   -   Beat Munger 2

a.storey

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

Will beat munger 2 be available with a simple os upgrade? I'm sure I read somewhere that a processor / hardware upgrade was required in order to use the new features....please, somebody tell me I'm wrong!

Cheers,
Alex.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             23-Aug-00  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

fvicente

Hi Alex,

BM-2 is not available yet. From the initial press releases from E-mu, it appears that it will go hand in hand with a hardware upgrade but I'm not positive. Best thing is to wait and see. On paper, that hardware upgrade (RFX-32 chip) looks really impressive. While it would be nice to simply load in the new OS and have access to it, the RFX-32 card looks quite powerful. Let's hope that it turns out to be that way for real.

Fernando

Message 3/18             24-Aug-00  @  09:28 AM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

phunkytek

I'm on os 3 on an e-6400, but don't you need to have an ultra to use the beat munging in the new os. The upgrade is $1200 and has to be done by E-mu. I only paid $1300 new for the unit a year ago with a hard drive full of sounds and the fx card. They say the upgrade on the new board and chip actualy ups the unit to e4xt status. Is it worth that kind of cash. I had planed on getting a sp-808 for live and remix aps and it already does beat matching and loop editing as well as realtime pitch changes and fx. I think i'll jusrt buy that and get the e-mu uped to os 4. That only costs $99.

Message 4/18             24-Aug-00  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

fvicente

Hi phunkytek,

You are right. You need to have an Ultra model to take advantage of Beat Munging. I don't know if BM2 will only require the RFX card or not. If you're able to pick up a SP-808 and it does what you need for $99, then that may be okay for you.

The Upgrade to 'Ultracize' your e6400 gets it roughly to the same specs as an E4XT but, keep in mind that you're not getting the options included that you do by buying the E4XT. You don't get the internal hard drive, you digital board, etc. Those would still be options. However, you will be getting a faster sampler (they replace the motherboard I think) which has better midi timing and the beat munging capability.

Beat munging is not just beat matching though. You can actually change the feel of a beat with BM. You can take a straight 4 on the 4 floor beat and give it a swing feel to it and a variety of other things. It also becomes a sort of sound creation tool as you are able to manipulate and "munge" different sounds to create your own.

You may want to wait until the RFX card comes out. Maybe you'll be able to upgrade to BM2 for a lower price than 'Ultracizing' your e6400 now and then, still upgrading to the RFX chip.

HTH,
Fernando

p.s. - of course, for $99 even if you get the SP-808 now, it won't hurt the pocket book that much.

Message 5/18             28-Aug-00  @  05:25 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

phunkytek

I never said I could get the sp-808 for $99. That is what the upgrade to os4 costs from os3 because the internal system ram has to be upgraded. In order to take advantage of recycle i need to go ahead and get on os4, whick has better midi timing and scsi bugs fixed. I might just sell it and get an ultra. What is the RFX chip?

Message 6/18             30-Aug-00  @  03:00 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

fvicente

Hi phunkytek,

Sorry, I guess I read it too quickly. I thought it was strange for an sp-808 to go for that cheap (although I haven't followed them so I don't even know what the street price is).

Yes, there is better midi timing on OS4 and, especially, on an Ultra, mostly due to its faster processor. It is an excellent machine (I own an E5000 Ultra).

The RFX chip is a new fx chip that Emu is coming out with soon (it's supposed to be this fall sometime). It will have the capability of having something like 15 or 16 fx running simultaneously with a bunch of fx busses. It looks like it will be really cool but we'll have to wait and see.

There's more info at E-mu's website (I think in the What's new section) and at the Emulator archive site (www.emulatorarchive.com).

HTH,
Fernando

Message 7/18             31-Aug-00  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

influx

Link?:  Link

I LOVE my E4, but I think Emu is LAME for doin it like that.

the FX that are available now SUCK, the routing SUCKS (what if I want a mono sound to have say flange, on sub 1 left? nope, cant do it. WACK) and I suspect that the new chip will be SOSO

man..$600? right?

go get some outboard FX for that much money!!!!

but, yes, you must have an ultra to use the beatmunger dealy bob. Might as well just use recycle...

Message 8/18             06-Sep-00  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

cdin

The fx in the E4 are the standard fare you get in samplers. My Akai S2800 had the same stupid routing limitations. I agree with the outboard fx solution, but a lot of people, myself included, want a more portable solution. I've got 32 rack spaces, 4 spaces for outboard fx, and I'd love to squash it down to half the size.

Message 9/18             08-Sep-00  @  05:50 AM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

chris

Link?: Link

Just the ability to run midi-synchable delays on individual channels makes the RFX worth it for me.

Someone told me that the RFX will come with extra outputs on-board (24 bit) - don't know yet if that's the case or not.

I also heard that the delay (inevitably) in RFX32 is down to software/firmware problems.

Message 10/18             08-Sep-00  @  06:07 AM   -   RE: Beat Munger 2

r-tek

I dont think we`ll be getting extra outs, but they have announced a new output thingy that can *only* be used if you have the rfx installed. Thanks emu.

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)