aaa Sample your analogs! - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Sample your analogs!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             23-Nov-00  @  07:31 AM   -   Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I have always been told to do it by other emu users, but never did. I sampled my sh-101, by using every C and F# . The preset when played and sequenced actualy sounds identical to the original. There is of course no clipping in the resonance, but i never was keen on that atribute of the 101's filter. Advantages include polyphony, and midi control. I think I'm going to sell it, and buy another vintage piece, and sample it's voices, and so on until i have a phat colection of vintage mono synth presets. I've listened to sample libraries , but they alwyas fall short. I made a saw and a sqaure preset. I layerd them and lowered the saw down an octave. It sounds just like my 101 with the sub osc. The emu filters are realy warm too. I think most of the comertial presets don't use enough samples. I only pitch shifted 3 1/2steps at most in each direction. Anyone want to buy a 101, I don't need it anymore!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             24-Nov-00  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

r-tek

emus sure are great at reproducing analogue, sometimes they even *add* some bass + the mod routings on the e4s at least go further than pretty much any *synth* outthere (including a lot of modulars) so you can freak yer sounds summing mental.....not as well as kurz tho, but easier to use and with more poly and whatnot. Shame the rez isn`t what it could be. The only time my emus fallen short in doing justice to analogue is when I sampled some self-osc subs from the mw1, and thats the only time. Fair to say I like my emu a lot, my first piece of gear too.

Message 3/21             24-Nov-00  @  08:09 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

how much do you want for your 101?

Message 4/21             26-Nov-00  @  12:53 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

I have it apart right now, i'm in the middle of fixing the pitchbend. I have to locate the potentiomiter part. Then when it's presteen, I'll sell it for$450. I'd probably take $375 for it now. I rigged it so you can pitch it down with the vco slider in the bender section, but the joist stick doesn't effect the the pitch. You can stll use it for LFO mod when it is pushed forward. I had modded it so I could reach lower than the keyboard would go and stay at a set pitch. Only problem is i broke the post that connects into the potentiometer. Not fixable . i need to find a new potentiaometer . It atualy works really great like it is. You can set the key board to lower scales than it would be posible with out this. I guess you could tape the pitchbener over, but this way it allowed twice much pitch bend down. Very useful mod. I don't use the bender for performance. I need to make some more samples of it and I'd sell it in few weeks. i'll get back to you when I'm finished cleaning it and fixing the bender. Do you no any synth salvage dealers?

Message 5/21             29-Nov-00  @  03:43 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

damballah

Link?:  Link

You know, I did the same thing with my EPS when I first got it. I still hung on to my sh-101, though, because it isn't quite the same -- knobs and sliders and portamento and shit. That Emu's filters do a lot more so it's probably closer.

Message 6/21             01-Dec-00  @  12:08 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

I read depechmode uses asi4000 samplers to create sample presets from thier analog stuff. I wonder if the filters on an esi4000 will allow allaising. They might sound better than an e-4 because of the anti allasing in the os I promise It truly is the same. I put them next to each other and it is so close you could never tell on a track. I promise. It is so much quicker than trying to set up patches and remember them from the 101. I just record the midi controlers in and it's the same every time. I started sampleing the Juno-106 and when it's doen it goes too. Then the dx100, and bass station. I'm settleing in to an e4xt ultra with the rfx, and an Andromeda A6. I'm selling the nova and the microwave xt as well when the price is down on the A6 or used ones are circulating. Plus I love my Nova anyway. I can wait on the Andro..! But I have no use for this stuff anymore. I have seen the light and it's Emu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm selling my e-6400 once I have the e4xtultra with the rfx.Emu has revolutionized sound production again. Plug ins in my sampler. It's unreal

Message 7/21             01-Dec-00  @  11:57 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

r-tek

wish I could afford the rfx   Mebbe next year.

Message 8/21             01-Dec-00  @  03:41 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

Si

Link?: Link

What about that Emu Platinum? Looks pretty impressive, fully expanded and loaded  

Si.

Message 9/21             04-Dec-00  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

phunkytek

What is the street price on the Platinum. I was guessing $6500. It has so many option slots. 16 analog outs, 6 analog inputs for the RFX mixer,32 midi channels , 2*scsi ports,the digital i/o card. It's got a whole new chassis and LCD. I bet the next ultras have the same chassis without the options so you can expand them to platnum, because as it stands, the current ultra chassis does'nt hold as many options. Just wait, They'll be called the E4 ultra II++ pro.....

Message 10/21             09-Dec-00  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: Sample your analogs!

Ison

I never use my samplers,i figured i would use them as Wavetable synthesisers with my own samples as the waveforms,but i never got around to trying.
It seems i bought the wrong machine in my haste,i really needed something with more midi control over the envelopes lfos and filters etc.
So that i could control it all with my knob box in real time but the Esi range does not cut the mustard here i am afraid.
A costly mistake as i now have an Esi-32 fully expanded and an Esi-2000 fully expanded and also 6GB of custom racked hardrive and Zip and CDrom waiting for something to store and play.
Still i surpose at some future date i can do a spot of resampling from one to the other,since one can layer sounds and then sample and layer and sample etc.
Simple square/triangle/sinus/sawtooth that dont vary over time would make for easy waveforms as beginning sounds but my theory was that since i have a whole bunch of modular with a variety of waveshapers/waveprocessors i could generate complex waveshapes cut them up and paste them together but the sweeping through the sample wavetable that i had created seemed impossible with the sampler that i have.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)