aaa memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             05-Feb-01  @  09:58 AM   -   memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

opus636

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

now if i remember right. it is only possible to add 2 = 4 or 16 or 64meg ram chips for memory! is that right? and do the ram chips have to have all of the ram on one side of the 72 pin chip??? and so far i have not found any place that tells me what the max GIGS for the internal scsi hard drive is! will i need a special scsi cord inside of the ultra? in order to save money! what is the type of scsi speed for the ultras? and lastly the really stoopid question. is there lotsa space inside so i can mount the hard drive with velcro? velcro is buddha!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             05-Feb-01  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

r-tek

Link?: Link

loads of space inside the ultras mate. All the inof you need is at the above site, check tweakheadz.com too - theres plent of emu stuff there too. Theres only 2 memory slots in the ultra so if you want 128 meg, you`ll havta take out whats in there already and replce with 2 64 meg 72 pins. You can add an ide internal instead of scsi if you wish, either way the drive should come with the necessary cable...

Message 3/13             05-Feb-01  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

opus

Link?:  Link

thanx aRTy

Message 4/13             06-Feb-01  @  02:42 AM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

influx

and theyll support up to 18 gig drives now.

you wont need cables cuz the ultras come stock with 2gigs..so just get the proper connector on the new drive and youre set

Message 5/13             06-Feb-01  @  04:52 AM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

opus

as far as i know the e5000 has no hard drive = bare bones hi end sampler. thanks for the 18 gig part! do you know if the ram has to have all of the chips on one side??? i will soon be tearing it apart to find out, but i have heard that alot of samplers need 72 pin simms that have all of the chips in one side of the chip. just wish those folks could keep up with computer standards. do any you folks have a great place to get the EOS software for cheap? like you aint using it no more, or something. beautyful glass pipe for the first to send it to me. unused of coarse.

Message 6/13             08-Feb-01  @  01:47 AM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

influx

if you have a newer sampler the SW upgrade is free.

if you have an older one and need the "classic" version you need to upgrade your flash RAM and you can only get that from Emu.

I have 4.01 on disk and could send it to you, but...

as for the RAM..not sure bout that one

Message 7/13             08-Feb-01  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

Onyx

You can't use standard HD cables (as for the power). 'Cause if you do you will toast the drive. EMU has switched places with the 5 and 12 volt......so you can now figure out what happends if you use an ordinary cable. EMU wants you to buy the powercord from them for $50.
Yeep, that's expensive. But now when you have the facts the rest is up to you.
Cheers!

Message 8/13             08-Feb-01  @  08:44 PM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

scrotalsack

being as it is getting increasingly difficult to find two-sided memory, i think its kind of a moot point, but yes, you do need one-sided memory. the ram slots are too close together to fit double-sided chips.

Message 9/13             28-Jun-01  @  02:59 AM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

opus

Link?: Link

thanx for repleys folks! i just peeked under the hood 3 days ago, just when dancetech went south for winter. i see a slot that has a flash ram card, another slot for DRAM? full, on the right side looking from the back end but on the frontside of the unit. and on the back of the right side. there are two DRAM slots for the main memory i figure? but there is only one chip there? is that the 4 meg chip? how come there is only one chip? i have two 64 meg double sided ram simms. can i use those? would they work? or will i see 64megs ram on those chips also i have heard that an IDE hard drive will work faster than a SCSI one? is that true? or will it be more reliable to use a SCSI one? i have an ADAPTEC scsi card in my puter to use the scsi cd rom- burner from PLEXTOR that i got. i guess lastly what is he largest hard drive i can use? be it IDE or SCSI? sorry for all the Qs? but i gotta seal this up preety soon in order to wrap up the studio. my roomates say (get this crap out of the kitchen -living room -dining room by tommorow!) or it goes in the trash! just kidding but i wanna get it out of there face. thanks alot folks. i had to move my dedicated studio from one of the empty bedrooms in order for us to rent it out so i guess i gotta live with the stuff in my bedroom. i almost feel like i gotta toss out the bed. no room left for anything but the studio or the bed. the only good thing is that the bed absorbs low frequincies?

Message 10/13             29-Jun-01  @  02:07 AM   -   RE: memory mods and scsi max's for the ultra's

Brett B

you can only use 64 meg ram cards. If you use two that are not the same size the smaller is half. like a 64 and a 32 will = 80megs. as for the hd. scsi is the way to go because of being able to copy stuff directly from one disk to another. Also I have a utility that will allow you to burn a copy of you hd to a cd using any scsi burner. It's called "disk to cd". I found it on the net a year ago, but I can't find the original install to send you. The other memory slots are for flash ram and rom cards. You can author flash cards to fit into any emu sound module, and soon the sound module cards will work in those slots.

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)