aaa If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/23             14-Oct-98  @  06:52 PM   -   If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

AudioPro21

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Last week the stienberg-event tour came to my town(Seattle) and at that tour they were selling VST/24 for the PC!!!! I had just bought my 3.5 producer pac from Guitar Center and they were selling this new pac with VST\24, Wavelab2.0, Free Filter, and The Rennisuance Compressor. There were some very cool package deals featuring this new VST\24 producer pac and the Event Layla. Some how I managed to get Guitar Center (not Stienberg they have never replied to any thing ever) to take back my pac and give me the new one for only $50. So if your planing on setting up a system wait till the Stienberg-Event tour comes to your town!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/23             16-Oct-98  @  01:46 AM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

kilo

hmmm.... that is a bit cheeky.....trying to get rid of old stock..... well, bare in mind you need more power to run it... and 2X the disk space if you use 24 bit files.... (24bit occupies twice the memory of 16 bit....)

Message 3/23             23-Oct-98  @  01:30 AM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

AudioPro21

Well, actually it doesn't take any more power to run VST\24, unless your trying to use all of the added capabilities, more tracks, more processing, and 24 Bit files only take up about a quarter more disk space.

Message 4/23             24-Oct-98  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

kilo

er...blubber...er........well it should surely need more power if you encode & work in 24 bit resolution... for example, you cant run VST24 on anything other than a GŁ in the mac range apparently. ... cos obviously, it requires more processing power to process the same thing in the same time given the higher bit rate....

cant understand your claim there .... at 44.1KHz , a stereo 8 bit file need 5.25MB to store a 1 minute file.....
whereas for double the bit rate, 16 bit it doubles to
10.5MB for the same... doubling again to 24 bit surely doubles the space again.... after all, 24 bit is not a quarter more than 16 bit, it's double 16 bit as we are working in binary multiples of 8..... or is that incorrect??.......

anyways... stuff VST... i'm sick of it's problems... Logic rulez for me now.... i can finaly get some work done... it is twice as fast to use.... and , hate to say it... the Logic features are way better for dance.... i've been a Cubase man for over 10 years.... oh well....

Message 5/23             28-Oct-98  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

Loafdog

They are easier for dance, not better. Compare any audio programs in the same price range as VST, and VST will always come out on top. Also, I am not to sure about your math skills, if you think two times sixteen is twenty-four, its know wonder you can't use VST.

Message 6/23             31-Oct-98  @  02:48 PM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

Purple Haze

a 44.1Khz 24 bit file will take exactly 50% more space on your hd (and in memory ofcourse) than a 16 bit file and 3 times as much as an 8 bit file.
Now with that talk about 96Khz (I believe it was) and 24bit, that would take about 17 megs for one minute, compared to about 5 meg for 44.1Khz/16 bit (mono). It will also take more processor power to accomplish the same thing.

and by the way... I don't like vst either, it works sluggish and is unpredictable. If it works for you... great!

Message 7/23             02-Nov-98  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

kilo

Loafdog... you're a twit........... next you'll be telling me a 100 watt amp is 10 times louder than a 10 watt amp.... groan.....

Message 8/23             02-Nov-98  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

Kelaperse

Does the new version (3.6 or whatever?) fix any bugs, unstability or that kinda issues? Anybody heard anything? I'm personally not so interested in 24bits or 96khz:s.

Message 9/23             09-Nov-98  @  02:57 AM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

jcobb

Well haven't heard anything - but from experience, 3.6 fixed a problem for me...

Only recently upgraded to VST, and the multimedia drivers (that have to be used when recording, as DirectX won't record) were so noisy on playback, I could hardly hear the existing tracks when laying down some new audio.

Tried everything I could think of, and every option on the audio system menu, to no avail.

Upgraded to 3.6 from 3.55, and the problem disappeared.

Message 10/23             09-Nov-98  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: If you are going to buy VST, WAIT!!!

kilo

well, it's not about money is it.... for dance, it's about a FUCKING STABLE CLOCK...... gawd 'elp us !!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 23 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)