aaa Yamaha Tech Support (or not) - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             19-Mar-00  @  04:20 PM   -   Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

steve_hunt

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ordered myself a Yam A4000 sampler and thought I'd order a CD-RW to go with it. Having heard lots of stories about compatibility I made the mistake of calling their so-called tech support line. A helpful dude told me he'd email a list of compatible drives. He did! 2 drives on the list and both Yamahas...fair enough...a good chance to flog me some more gear. So off I went in search of one. Tried 6 websites of computer-bit sales (Dabs, Simply, Watford, Insight etc...) and neither were available.
So I rang Yamaha sales. Who told me both were obsolete and would I like the newer model?
I rang back tech support and gave them an earful for recommending me an obsolete product to go with a brand new sampler- it's not as if the A4000 has been out a long time! I blew a fuse when he said that it wasn't their fault that it was obsolete because that was the manufacturer's fault (Yamaha!)
Get you act together Yam.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             20-Mar-00  @  05:27 AM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

swampman

Very interesting this!

Please keep posting what response you get. I too have a yammie but A5000 and consider buying a CD-RW.

/SwampMan

Message 3/11             20-Mar-00  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

k

chuckle - but can they beat Akai support... i mailed them a question, and got a reply 12 weeks later !!! - in another year & century !!!... ha ha ha - no wonder akai have lost the plot... guffaw

Message 4/11             24-Mar-00  @  05:13 PM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

steve_hunt

Yam being a bit more helpful now that I've figured out who the guv is there.
I've bought an 8424 (latest cdrw) and, contrary to Yam's advice, it seems to work perfectly! Wierd!
Unfortunately the 128mb of ram I bought doesn't work - I get a "Simm error!" at startup. If I'm spot-on with the timing of secret button-pushes I can bypass this and get normal use except that only half the ram is recognised. So I bought some more from a different dealer/different manufacturer. No error message this time but only a quarter is recognised!
Both lots are to the spec given to me by Yam tech help and as per the manual. Some compatibility huh!
I finally got a result out of Yam when they told me there is a recommended supplier/manufacturer and that I should have been told that by me retailer and by their tech help (not!). So I've ordered some of that (bloody expensive). I'll report back when I get it.
Don't buy ram without checking with me first! Don't trust Yam help either unless you're speaking to the right person!

Message 5/11             24-Mar-00  @  07:50 PM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

oldskool

Yes crap tech support (although no worse than Roland or Korg) but very good after sales service\support. I bought an A3k, registered it, and since doing so have had a free CD, tips and tricks sheet and a tutorial video posted out to me. How many other companies do that?

Message 6/11             30-Mar-00  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

steve_hunt

The Yam-recommended ram actually works!
If you need the details get in touch with Yam support or me first!
Steve

Message 7/11             30-Mar-00  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

k

hey steve.. how are ya mate?... i was just telling someone a few days ago about that fantastic Cd you made me of the Prophecy sounds... awesome !!...

Message 8/11             31-Mar-00  @  07:28 AM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

steve_hunt

Hi
Been a bit out of action lately with getting to grips with the new job, moving house, having new baby last week etc!
Glad you remember the cd...let me know if you want one of the Nord Modular or Yam A4000.
Life's pretty good - or it will be if I can ever get that shitty Delta 1010 working (see my post on your VST forus)...any help welcome!!
How's you Kilo?
Steve

Message 9/11             24-May-00  @  02:55 PM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

steve_hunt

And then the Yam cdrw blew up. Now after 4 weeks of waiting they think they might be about to get a replacement in from Germany. F'ing incredible. Last Yam kit I ever buy.

Message 10/11             24-May-00  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: Yamaha Tech Support (or not)

component

I have had a lot of problems with Yamaha myself. After buying the EX5( First series...... ouch ) I ran up a $300 phone bill in a month
talking to there befuddled tech support. They told me at the time that there was not a 1-800 line(they lied, the cheap bastards). A few
months latter I was talking to a friend that informed me of a 800 number. Hear it is*1-800-854-1569*(U.S.). Save your money and get your
answer........Or just buy something that works...

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)