aaa I'll never buy another yamaha anything - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/18             04-May-00  @  05:45 AM   -   I'll never buy another yamaha anything

jj

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

That says it all.

my a3k after acting really really wierd, like after I assign a group of samples to a bank, half of them end up in another bank, but then one of the banks won't sound, get all that sorted out again, and boom, a3k freezes, all my nights prep work gone, all samples lost.

Forget it, I'm hooking up with a young company getting the stock options, cashing in, and never buying low end gear again!

Am I on edge?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/18             05-May-00  @  08:08 AM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

Defector Z

Possibly.

Maybe you spilled beer on it? :-) I do not have an a3k but I have only heard good things about them. Maybe it is time for service? Unfortunately, bad things happen to good people all the time.

Message 3/18             06-May-00  @  08:00 AM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

component_1

They do make good seq. Like the RM1X but the sounds are a thin and cheesy. I think I'm leaning in your direction JJ. I owned 3 Yamaha keyboards and the only one with half way decent sounds (EX5) was an expensive buggy joke. I thinking a about getting the CS6x but if it's sounds are any thing like the RM1x it can find its way back to the store. It's the too many cooks spoil the broth senaireo. If you look at all the major companys it seems as though there trying to appeal to every different niche they the can sink there teeth into. I think it time to buy from a company that specializes in one type of equipment e.g. Akai, Waldorf, Access, Novation. That way you know that there at least focused on what there manufacturing not how different groups of people can we make money off of.

Message 4/18             06-May-00  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

Defector Z

Well, buying from a company like Yamaha is a mixed bag - alot of things to consider. My RM1X has been great - although I am disappointed that they don't do updates. Just new gear. Got a bug? Tough - buy the next one. If that has bugs, buy the next one. I also have a Waldorf MWXT which is the bomb. Great piece of gear, sounds great, great support from Waldorf. Get on their userforum list (if you can handle 40 messages a day) and you will see.

What I see is that companies like Yamaha a Roland (the biggies) make gear that is versatile. Does a lot of stuff okay - but none of them really well. Waldorf can focus on making great synths. That's all they do.

I like my RM1X and I find alot of the sounds on it usable. Just depends on what sounds you are looking for. Of course it is not going to match a VA. It's a sequencer...that happens to have a synth in it. Don't buy it for the synth.

Yamaha makes affordable products. If you want high end (like an Virus, Nova or Q/XT) you have to pay for it.

Just my $0.02 anyways.

Message 5/18             07-May-00  @  06:41 AM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

swampman

I'm getting rid of my Yamaha A5000 because it f**ks up my prtitions and hangs occationally when loading from SCSI devices. Everyone have this problem, but I havent heard anythig about Yamaha fixing it. Anyway, I want a sampler thats stable right now and I cant wait 1-12 months for a fix (if it ever comes).

Wich sampler then? I have no clue. I'm a big nobody in this area so any help would be nice  

My thoughts are around these:

Akai S5000
EMU E6400 Ultra
Kurzweil K2500rs/K2600r

(Kurzweil seems to slip through everyones thought when discussing samplers. Why?)

/SwampMan

Message 6/18             07-May-00  @  11:42 AM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

r-tek

actually, the Kurzes have been a big discussion point recently on the main board   I`ve got a 6400 ultra and its superb mate, so quick and simple 2 use but with a huge (and I mean huge) well of power inside that u constantly dig deeper and deeper into. Emu also r great on the customer care side of things. The efx are shit though. Oh, and the sound quality is excellent oo.

Message 7/18             08-May-00  @  05:59 AM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

SwampMan

Went for E6400 Ultra.
No more Yamaha sampler for me thanks but no thanks.

Message 8/18             12-May-00  @  05:23 AM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

mol8292

about the dissapearing of samples on internal disks:

if you connect your A-series sampler with a PC through SCSI you have to make sure that you disable any virus-scanners and use a patch on your registry (is available from www.teklab.com)..it seems that Windoze and/or some virusscanners try to access all disks available and write/modify some string on the FAT section of the disk to recognize the disk...this will make the yamaha file-system screw up..

Olaf

Message 9/18             12-May-00  @  06:17 AM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

Peppe

I´ve used the Yamaha A3000 since it was released. I upgraded it to ver2 when it was available (Free from Yamaha by the way). I´ve never had any of the problems you describe. I have though helped some people with problems and it was usually something they did wrong and not any problem with the A3000. It´s a great sampler. Not best on everything but still a great sampler.

Message 10/18             16-May-00  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: I'll never buy another yamaha anything

Breakerbox

Link?:  Link

Doesnt every sampler fuck up your FAT on your pc hard drive?
I think u r suppose to use diifernt drive thats not used by the pc or something lik that coz the samplers have their own weird little operating system so they write the files and the FAT in their own ways...
at least that what mpc2000 does?
am i right? Probably wrong... anyways.

Pages: 1 2

There are 18 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)