aaa Don’t buy the CS6x!!! - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/34             09-May-00  @  04:39 PM   -   Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

arie-z

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Don’t buy the CS6x. It sucks big time. Don’t let all the positive reviews fool you. I’m beginning to feel sorry I ever bought the thing. The appegiator doesn’t sync to midi clock. So all you dance producers have a major problem, unless you want to write out all your arpeggio’s.
I also have a PLG-AN installed. You wouldn’t believe how long it took to figuur out how the damn thing worked and most of the stuff aren’t mentioned in the manual. I have been trying for weeks to get support from Yamaha, but they always keep beating around the bush. I finally got some positive help. Not from Yamaha, but from G.Gregson (author of the PLG-AN editor).
Now that I know how it works, I discovered that it’s so difficult and time consuming, that I probably won’t use the thing. So that’s the story. I would certainly think twice before buying it.

Andrew

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/34             10-May-00  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

staples

I agree with you on the arp sync debate as I've been quite involved in it lately but the rest of the CS6 doesn't suck in my opinion and in fact to the contrary. I find it to be a very expressive synth with a lot of potential. The manual is less than useful as they usually are but once spending some time with it I'm beginning to see the light. I have not used it in performance mode but in voice mode only. I really like all the patches and think that's certainly enough variety for the beginner as well as the pro.

your mileage may vary as this just my opinion.

Kevan

Message 3/34             10-May-00  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

arie-z

I agree with you, if use only the voice mode. And the synth has some damn good sounds. That's why I bought it in the first place. But try using the performance mode, that's when the problems start. Specially when you have the PLG-AN board installed. To really make good use of the board, you have to use a computer-based editor, to really get to all the necessary parameters. You can't find them all in the CS6x, so if you make a patch you have to send it to CS6x each time you work on a song, because strangely enough you can't save the sound you made in the CS6x. And that's not all. If you want to use on-board FX with the sound you made (in preformance mode) you have to save those settings as a seperate file in the CS6x. Sounds complicated?? Well believe me it is. It's so much of a hassle, that when you finally got everything setup, the days almost over.That's not so much of a problem if you have to do this once, but you have to do this every freakin' time you work on your song. I can't believe that they sell a plugin board that works like this.
And all the Mag's rave about how good it sounds. Sure it sounds good, when you hear it played from the editor, but you'll soon be de-morilised when you want to use it.

Message 4/34             11-May-00  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

staples

You're right about performance mode..it's a bear to figure out. I've only been using it in voice mode so far. I haven't got an expander card but can't you save to the smart media card what edits you make? I've been using the Voice editor in conjunction with my sequencer and it's pretty handy for quickly figuring out where stuff is and making the necessary changes. Too bad it doesn't work for editing performances. It's amazing how difficult programming can be on most synths and this is no exception. The only operating system that makes complete sense to me and so damn easy and flexible is Kurzweil. Surprise surprise it's written by you yankees. The Japanese have a hard time writing software and manuals but that's another story.

all the best

Kevan

Message 5/34             11-May-00  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

arie-z

You can use the smart-card to save everything else, but not the sounds you make with the PLG-AN editor, which really sucks :-(( Yeah, you can save it on the computer, but that's not the same. If you have to make a lot of edits, you have to keep going back and forth from the sequencer to the editor, which is sicking.

Message 6/34             11-May-00  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

Swift

You can save PLG150-AN patches to any of the 64 user memory locations.Also full 128 patch banks can be saved to card too.
Before dissing a synth learn a bit more about how to use it!
The CS6x is easy to use,It appears to be complicated at first but after a few hours you will see it is all very simple.

Message 7/34             12-May-00  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

arie-z

Swift, if you had done your homework, you would know that you can't and I repeat can not save sounds you make with the PLG-AN editor (in the computer)in the CS6x. You can only save the edited PLG patches that are on the board. And before you start calling me a liar, fuckin' try it out yourself!!!

Message 8/34             12-May-00  @  06:10 PM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

Swift

Wrong!
There are 64 memory locations onboard where you can permanently store 64 patches.
On the PLG board there are 128 Preset 1,128 Preset 2,128 User and also 64 saved patches.You can load in a bank of up to 128 patches into the USER bank from the PC Editor.These will remain here until you switch off the CS6x then they will be lost.
The patches loaded into the USER bank can be saved onto the memory card or you can save ANY onboard patch(including ones made and sent from the Editor) into one of the 64 saved locations.These 64 patches are not lost when you switch off the machine.
I suggest YOU do your fucking homework!
Also which editor are you using?

Message 9/34             13-May-00  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

arie-z

Swift, if you had read my first mail you would have seen that I use G. Gregson’s PLG-AN editor. And I FUCKIN did do my homework, because I even contacted G. Gregson himself about this issue. The fact is, is that you are being fooled when you store your newly made sound to the 64 users bank. It only stores the name, but the sound is gone the next time you turn the synth on. You do get a sound, but it's not the one you made. Try it out yourself and let’s see who’s right.

Message 10/34             13-May-00  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: Don’t buy the CS6x!!!

Swift

I have several sounds permanently stored in the 64 locations.They do not dissappear or change when I switch off the CS6x and then switch back on again.
You are complaining about the editor which I think is unfair as you are using a different one to the editor that comes with the CD packaged with the plugin board.If Yamaha had meant for you to use the one you are doing it would have been on the CD.The one you are meant to use that is on the CD will let you do what you want so I suggest you try it.
Also you tell people not to buy the CS6x because you cannot figure out how to use the plugin board and think they are crap.The plugins are OPTIONAL EXTRAS for the CS6x and you do not need to buy them, so it is unfair to criticise the CS6x.
You came here for help and advice but started to get nasty when I offered it to you.Do not be surprised if people are unwilling to help you in future because of your shitty attitude.As for any advice from me in future,well you can go fuck yourself!

Pages: 1 2 3 4

There are 34 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)