aaa List Known Probs A3000 Please. - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             09-Aug-00  @  02:26 PM   -   List Known Probs A3000 Please.

adams04

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,i have decided to get a good sh A3000v2.
Could users please list all known problems ,like noisy internal scsi ,so i know Exactly what to ask when i go hunting.

Thanx Guru.

PS i use a ABITBH6/Celery@450,256mb ,2 drives(plan to add external scsi 4 A3000),HSP64 s,card,VST24Bit,etc.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             10-Aug-00  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

N

If you haven't already, you should get the A3K FAW from www.a3kcentral.com. It covers most of the known problems.

I only recently got mine but I love it and love blabbing on about it to anyone who will listen!

Known problems/issues I know of:

The optional digital output board is a bit noisy.

The knobs (rotary encoders) on the front need to be moved within a certain speed range or they can jump about a bit.

No graphical wave editing which makes loop setting slow. Everyone I know uses their PC + an editor to do it anyway so no big deal.

The internal sequencer is pretty much limited to record/playback and tempo.

There are not many native A3K sample CDs available and importing Akai ones is not perfect.

SCSI/SMIDI is quite slow but not too bad.

The floppy drive really is slow.

The only way to get A3K native samples that you got off the net into the A3K is via the floppy (it reads A3K and DOS formats) or by burning a CD after formatting them using a $100 app called A3K disky. Not a big prob.

Using internal hard-drives is supposed to be noisy. Most people go external for them and Zips.

Never heard any SCSI noise on my setup. Certainly internal SCSI is not audible and external SCSI noise is proabably down to adequate shielding / good cables.

It is a kick-ass sampler for dance. You can come up with great synth sounds on it without even loading a sample. I don't think you will be sorry.

Message 3/16             10-Aug-00  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

adams04

Thanx N.
I got a friend with one,so i get to pick his brains .
He,s using Zip,got the extra outs running into a 16ChanBehringer(300quid he wants),and he assigns the fx thru the aux 4 other trax.
He did say i should keep my Phat Boy to control it as the knobs aren,t too cool.
He,s got 32Mb .Seems about right,as i,ll run it with my synthXP30.
He explained how i can use the Filter on bits from records,to filter out other parts etc to keep just the bit from the sample u want .Sounds great.
I,m saving up.

Guru.

Message 4/16             11-Aug-00  @  05:05 AM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

N

Sounds like a good buy Guru.

The Phat Boy is a good idea too, the knobs aren't that bad but you can control so many parameters on the A3K that an outboard controller is very useful.

Message 5/16             11-Aug-00  @  10:38 AM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

Jasper

yeah them knobs are the real weak part. it's good that the a3k will learn it's controlers... so you press a button and move the relevant controler you want to use, the a3k learns it and it's set.. very quick to set up 6 controlers for each sample.

you can also setup 4 controlers for system stuff.. like the fx parameters

Message 6/16             11-Aug-00  @  11:04 AM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

N

Jasper

Do you have any A3K native CDs? If so, are they any good / worth it?

Message 7/16             11-Aug-00  @  07:13 PM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

0/d

Link?:  Link

wanna buy some?

Message 8/16             12-Aug-00  @  06:10 PM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

Jasper

Link?: Link

check the link for lots of free a3k native sample sets.. and others.

Message 9/16             15-Aug-00  @  02:57 AM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

N

Hi Jasper

I have already d/l'd some of those free samples. The ones that were taken off the free CDs didn't sound all that promising. The ones made up by the users are a lot cooler.

Cheers

n

Message 10/16             15-Aug-00  @  03:09 AM   -   RE: List Known Probs A3000 Please.

N

Hi Jasper

I have already d/l'd some of those free samples. The ones that were taken off the free CDs didn't sound all that promising. The ones made up by the users are a lot cooler.

Cheers

n

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)