aaa so whats this scale? - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: so whats this scale?

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             12-Feb-01  @  07:38 PM   -   so whats this scale?

0/d

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I just finished 2 tracks with the scale above,got some lovely strings,pads and chords out of it,anyone know what it is? it would be nice to know what it is and what kind of relevance it has.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             13-Feb-01  @  12:23 AM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

gb

Link?:  No link

Transpose it down one semi-tone, and it will be clear :
C D E F G A Bb

I'm not sure, but I think the following is true:
C E G Bb is C7
C E G Bb D is C9
C E G Bb D F is C11
C E G Bb D F A is C13

If this is right, the scale you have is C#13

Heck if I know. Does it matter what it's called ?

Message 3/27             13-Feb-01  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

gb

Trying again:Transpose it down one semi-tone, and it will be clear : C D E F G A BbI'm not sure, but I think the following is true:
C E G Bb is C7
C E G Bb D is C9
C E G Bb D F is C11
C E G Bb D F A is C13
If this is right, the scale you have is C#13
Heck if I know. Does it matter what it's called ?

Message 4/27             13-Feb-01  @  01:26 AM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

pict

C# Mixolydian mode.It's a very commonly used mode in Celtic music and Jazz.If you raise the B note in the scale you get a C# Major scale.Mixolydian mode sounds good with dominant 7th chords.Listen to Miles Davis' album "A kind of Blue" and you'll get a good idea of how modes can be used.

Message 5/27             13-Feb-01  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

gb

I suppose C#13 would be the name of the chord you get if you hit all those notes at once.

A scale consisting of those notes would be a F# major scale.

I'm still guessing here.

Message 6/27             13-Feb-01  @  12:38 PM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

pict

The scale of F# Major has the same notes as the C# Mixolydian mode and the A Flat Dorian mode and the B Lydian mode etc. but as the scale O/d has shown starts on C# then I presume that to be the root.If that is the case then the scale shown is the C# Mixolydian mode.

Message 7/27             13-Feb-01  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

casparproject

Link?: Link

yeah, it could be a C#13 or a C# mixolydian.

Message 8/27             13-Feb-01  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

0/d

Link?:  Link

funny,its a jazz scale?The track was a real jazzy house electro mish mash(!),just one thing i was wondering,is why does the B only work with the piano and keys,i had on string that used B for a bar or so and it just about destroyed the whole progression of the track.why is this? (and what does Mixolydian mean?)

(sorry about this,my theory other than ear is non existant)

Message 9/27             15-Feb-01  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

pict

It's not a Jazz scale per se but it is used a lot more often in Jazz than it is in other forms of popular music.

The modes are basically just scales if you played the white keys of the keyboard starting on C and played only the white keys until you came to the next C an octave higher you would have played the C Ionian mode also known as the C Major scale.If you then started on the D and played only the white keys until you reached the next D an octave higher you would have played the D Dorian mode.If you look at the C Major scale you can see that it has a pattern of gaps between each note in the scale so C D E F G A B C has a pattern starting from the root note in this case C of 2 2 1 2 2 2 1
(2 notes between C&D 2 notes between D&E 1 note between E&F etc.)

If you then look at the gap pattern between the notes of the D Dorian mode you will see that it has a gap pattern of 2 1 2 2 2 1 2 now if you take that gap pattern and start from the C note you will be playing the C Dorian mode which has a totally different sound from the C Ionian mode or C Major scale as it is now called.The different tonalities you get from each mode are very useful for coming up with interesting melodies.

So to figure out the gap or step pattern for the different modes all you have to do is start from each note of the C Major scale and play only the white keys like so

C to C is the Ionian mode(Major scale)

D to D is the D Dorian mode

E to E is the E Phrygian mode

F to F is the F Lydian mode

G t G is the G Mixolydian mode

A to A is the A Aeolian mode(The Natural minor scale)

B to B is the B Locrian mode

The modes are named after the most important of the ancient Greek tribes look at the keyboard diagram above for an example of the D Dorian and the E phrygian modes the D Dorian is at the lower end of the keyboard in this example does that make it any clearer?

Message 10/27             15-Feb-01  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: so whats this scale?

pict

D Dorian

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)