aaa hintz for programming hatz? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: hintz for programming hatz?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             26-Oct-99  @  10:13 AM   -   hintz for programming hatz?

john

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hi. i've just begun sequencing drums on my emax with a kawai q80. for now, drum programming is my main concern. wanna get it solid before trying to put too much on top of it. with that, last night as an exercise i was trying to program a sort of typical (1/16th notes i think, each quarter note has i think 4 divisions--damn i forget, could be 1/32 but you prob know what i mean, a sorta fast rolling hat pattern) closed high hat pattern with accents on certain notes. i had some success in using an open high hat sample velocity assigned to velocity and short gate time to get the ticks and a longer one to get the accents. the problem i'm having is getting the in between closed hat sounds to really groove. i've been messing with manually editing the velocity of each note but i don't really know what what the velocity pattern should be. high low, high low? high, low, mid, high? it keeps sounding too machine gunny or bizarre (sometimes good of course). does anyone have a sort of template for this sort of hat pattern that i could use as a starting point? also, now that i think of it, i have the same concern with programming crescendoey rolls (i know they're sorta cliche, but i still wanna know how to program em). i get the general idea about a general sweeping increase in velocity but what is the general velocity pattern to get it right? should it just be 1/16 notes (sorry again if not right) over two bars with each hit about 5 or so velocity values higher than the previous, maxing out at 127 or whatever? what other timbre values could or should i assign to velocity to really make it sting? oh, and btw, for this i am using a 909 snare sample. sorry if this is confusing but any tipz would be much appreciated. thanks.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             26-Oct-99  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

john

oops. above, for that hat sample i said "velocity assigned to velocity." i meant "amplitude assigned to velocity". whatever..play harder, it gets louder ;)

Message 3/13             26-Oct-99  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

k

post up your hi-hat pattern as a midifile and we can take a listen and re-edit it... - best advice i can give with hats is DECAY DECAY DECAY - it's critical to the feel - the decay time of the open hatz...

Message 4/13             27-Oct-99  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

john

arright. gotta get my head around this sequencer first. but when i learn to save my midi files and have a more specific issue i will do that. thanks.

Message 5/13             27-Oct-99  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

atombom

I've found that best way to get rid of the machine gun effect is to get as many hit variations as you can. This is often difficult when sampling from drum sample CD's cuz they at most give you like 4. But if you have a good sample editor you can fuck each of em up a little bit and map them accross your keyboard to get say 12 to 16 of em. A few of them will really stick out in timbre. Use those for the accents and vice versa for the flabby sounding ones. Play them as a sequence of eight but change the order here and there to give a sense of realism. If you want to make your roll more suspenseful then you could tighten it up to a sequence of 4 or 6 hits.

Message 6/13             13-Nov-99  @  10:39 AM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

cyclop2music

it has more than muffled or not muffle(even though that
is an essential aspect)to do with a groove.I dunno does the kawai have swing,or shuffle,or roll,or whatever it could be called?if you turn the knob for the swing,or shuffle,or roll-function the hats will start to go wobbling, hiphoppy or shuffled(the bleus's basic tadat-tadat-tadat style of hats) slightly instead of machinegun.
driftkicker.

Message 7/13             13-Nov-99  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

k

also triplet timed delay patterns - run a sniff off of your kit or hats channels - say 138BPM run a delay at abot 50% feedback & delay time of about 341ms..... run some delay back in with the kit if you add alot, you get the same delay riddims like on Born Slippy which thay added to the whole kit, kik-drum, toms etc

Message 8/13             14-Nov-99  @  12:03 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

John

Link?: Link

k -- When you say decay is very important on hats, are you refering to Amp Decay, Filter Decay, or Pitch Decay? -- John

Message 9/13             16-Nov-99  @  09:59 AM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

slimedog

Link?:  Link

kilo- any way to calculate those triplet delays from the BPM? I've had no trouble doing it for 'straight' delays, but I can't figure out how you came up with 341ms from 138 up there...

Message 10/13             18-Nov-99  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: hintz for programming hatz?

sox

Link?:  Link

A reprint of an article I saw in a newsgroup (alt.steinberg.cubase). Thanks to the author Mani Svavarsson for sharing his techniques

1. Play in your hihats (lets say 16th notes)
2. Quantize that in straight 16th.
3. "Freeze Quantize" that Hihat part
4. Edit your Iterative Quantize to 10% (or more .. or less)
5. Change the quantize value to 16T
6. Now use the "Iterative Quantize" to quantize.
Each time you press "Iterative quantize", your
hihat part will move slightly towards 16triplets.

Stop pressing Quantize when it
"feels" right. If you have gone to far ... press undo.

Ofcourse you can use this an more things than
just hihats ...

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)