aaa 7/8 sequencing? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: 7/8 sequencing?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             28-Nov-99  @  08:19 AM   -   7/8 sequencing?

R-Tek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I wanna sequence a jungle rythym in 7/8 time. I read the man like K`s little piece on 3 time but I`m still having a little bit of bother getting me head round it. Is it like: 123,1234,123,1234,123,1234,123,1234,1234 to give 8 bars? Or have I (as I suspect) got this completely wrong? Any help would b appreciated. Ta muchly.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             28-Nov-99  @  10:18 AM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

AK

File?:  File

7vari.mid

Generally, a 7/8 rhythm is two 2/4 and one 3/4 put together, i.e. one bar is either 12-12-123, 12-123-12 or 123-12-12. Oh, well I may have gotten it all wrong too.

Message 3/19             28-Nov-99  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

R-Tek

..I was kinda thinking Kick-kick-snare,kick-snare-kick-snare...but it wouldn`t b phrased properly 4 mixing.......I`ve got some 3/4 tunes and even a 5/4 somewhere but I`m not sure this`ll work......I want 2 plat it at 145-150 BPM 2 give the beats more room 2 breath and let in skank along a bit more. Bugger, guess I`ll have 2 wait 4 Sox 2 make an appearance......

Message 4/19             28-Nov-99  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

sox

Link?:  Link

Yeah, sorry to let you down boyz but you've both got it wrong. What you're actually trying to do is a 7/4 not a 7/8. When you work in a /8 time signature what you're actually doing is doubling what the beats are worth. 7/4=7 beats in a bar and the 1/4 note gets one beat. 7/8=7 beats in a bar and the 1/8 note gets one beat.
Example:in 4/4: each 1/4 note is worth 1 beat (think house bass drum; boom, boom, boom, boom=1 2 3 4)
In 4/8: the 1/4 note bass drum is worth 2 beats. boom-space-boom-space=1 2 3 4. (1/4 note equals crotchet for my UK compatriots).

Where you put the accent is subjective and entirely up to the composer. Example: 1 2 1 2 1 2 1=one bar of 7/4.
1 2 3 1 2 1 2=one bar, 1 2 3 1 2 3 1=one bar etc etc(I think you get the idea).
I've done a bit of experimenting in the past with 7/4 jungle and it seems to work ok. Messes the heads up of the punters though! I think people are so used to having the beat handed to them on a silver platter (ie house/garage, 2 step D'nB) that they don't know how to move their butts to the different groove.
Try dropping in the odd bar of 7 or 5 in the middle of the track to really f**k them up!!

Message 5/19             28-Nov-99  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

R-Tek

Cheers Sox, think I understand now. I dont need 2 worry about fucking peoples heads up cos I`m a long way from ever getting something out so I can experiment all I like. How about setting the BPM for the track though? I guess just play around with it till it sounds right........

Message 6/19             29-Nov-99  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

MrSoma

yo, sox...you ever do anyhting with 7/4 9/8 time signature...ya know 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.1234567891.2.3.4.5.6.7.123456789 where a dot or a number represents an eigth, and the number is the count of the beat....switching back and forth and back and forth is what gets people to feel the beat...to bad melodie gets all fucked...i am just a drummer.....oh well...

Message 7/19             30-Nov-99  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

fresh

I've tried pretty extensively to get my beats into odd time signatures only to get pretty frustrated. I just keep going back to the standards because it seems easier to dance to and flows. I've also tried to incorporate alot of melodic passages into dance music but then it just loses it's rhythmic focus. It was real hard for me to be able to write dance music at first because I came from doing theatrical scores and I had to drop the melody. I rarely even do triads now.

Message 8/19             30-Nov-99  @  03:14 AM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

ModAsBlue

Mr.Soma.

Be glad you are a drummer. Percussion is the most important part of Dance music...

My collaborator is a Hand-drummer...Djembe, Tablas, Bongos, anything...

He's always pushing MY envelope....

He's like "make the cowbell go ratah tat tatah tatah tat"
and I'm like "1.0, 1.24, 1.72, 2.48," etc....

A good drummer thinks with his soul while guys like me (crappy garage bass guitarist) think music in numbers and gate times, velocities, decay time. I find House music to be very difficult, while Techno comes easy...so....if that tells you anything....

(We just made a cheesy ass latin house track today... I spent twenty minutes finding the right Conga noise because he didn't like any of them... I'm like "this is a real one, this is a real one"
He's like "I like THAT one"
I'm like "THAT one is synthesized!!!"

oh well....ratatat tat puh diddly boppity rata tat tat.

Message 9/19             30-Nov-99  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

sox

Link?:  Link

Mr Soma:
Nah, I've never tried to go between the signatures like that to create a tune. Sounds like a good thing to practice more than write a tune around. Never know unless ya try though ;)

Message 10/19             30-Nov-99  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: 7/8 sequencing?

ivan

Funny that this thread crept up - I was actually going to ask if anyone made music in odd time signatures. Currently I'm doing a 5/4 dnb track, but it isn't finished. I think most people prefer 4/4 because you seldom hear anything else played, except for that odd 6/8 blues or waltz. This includes us (musicians ...and drummers ;) , at least I have problems writing decent rhythms in odd time. It definitely doesn't flow less than straight 4/4 beats - ever heard folk music played at incredible signatures like 21/16 or 14/8 (or even the lowly 3/4) by good musicians? It can swing like hell, and be easy to dance to as well. I'm fond of 3/4 myself, and melodies in this can have this strange accelerated feeling, since the phrases are shorter and accented differently.

Try to do techno/house in 3/4 with a beat like this kick - kick - kick+clap instead of the usual kick - kick+clap - kick - kick+clap; sounds a bit different...

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)