aaa computer vs. hardware - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: computer vs. hardware

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/48             14-Jun-00  @  05:51 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

agonie

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

oh dam, hit the return button, randomly
sorry guys...
let us talk about this topic:
in my opinion is using computer programs for creating samples (soft synths) not very useful.
1. for making music you need an INSTRUMENT you can rely to personally, appearence, functions vitalise your mind, a flat, shivering screen harms your creatrivity..
2. i don't like monitors! i have got a doepfer schaltwerk for composing in midi, much better than cubase

o.k. i agree: sequencing on a computer is standart, you have got better support and more offers.
i started to make music with my amiga (protracker!), still one of my cherriest machines, i do not doubt wheter it is easier to get a cheerful result on your comp than with your soundmachine, it is!

i am asking myself right now if music isn't in any realtion to machines, probably....

maybe i just this confusing tap is just a reaction on the current developement of the music market.

yet i am sure you cannot reproduce the sound of a music machine with a comp. (hmm..pulsar...letting the hardware in your co). the reason is as simply as hard to believe: hardware-problem, computer simulate, m-machines (of course! analogue babies, i love them) produce!

it could be that i am talking a lot of shit..in your perspective... i know what i am saying is true for me.. so let me have your comments...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/48             14-Jun-00  @  07:33 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

Jasper

not really rythms but what the hey. I aggree, I'm getting really nice bass patterns purely from a microwave2's arpeggiator.. messing with pitch bending and stuff realtime.. I'm ending up with swirling basslines that really evolve and swell in and out..

couldn't do that just on my pc, and it wasn't for not trying.

you need that power solely used for creating sounds.

Message 3/48             14-Jun-00  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

H

In my opinion hardware is what sets you free to do something personal.I wuv my MPC and my 777.My G4 pisses me off.It's cool for mastering and video editing though.

Message 4/48             14-Jun-00  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

k

you can do some great stuff in s/w... lots of stuff gets released that way. plus some people use stuff like vst just with loops and make toons.

Message 5/48             15-Jun-00  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

gs

yep u can do cool stuff with samples & loops if you are creative about it, tunes can easy be done with loops in Cubase or whatever, using all the plugn fx to add interest or whatever...

my fav software app is Zap's LDB, very wicked prog IMO. it's not pretty, not even realtime but it has a top notch user interface, great for creating drumloops. i use it as a kinda scratch pad for getting ideas. when something nice comes up, dump the loops/hits to sampler and mangle from there, mmm yummy.

some software is very creative.

Message 6/48             15-Jun-00  @  03:41 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

gs

k, the carriage returns don't seem to register or something in this forum..?

Message 7/48             15-Jun-00  @  06:55 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

Jasper

do

them

twice

Message 8/48             15-Jun-00  @  06:55 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

Jasper

hey your right... that used to work..

eeee

eeee

eeee

test

Message 9/48             15-Jun-00  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

k

true hardware and old pc's like atari's rule when it comes to dance cos they are tite... so many tracks on the www sound sloppy timingwise, and i often hear that and wonder what sequencer was used... rock solid timing is 100% critical, a simple beat with a few patterns will outshine a more complexed track if the former is dead tite and the latter has timing discrepancies. - it's GOT to be rock-tite to sound right

Message 10/48             15-Jun-00  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: computer vs. hardware

cmorgenroth

it was very insightful reading this discussion cos I've had weeks worth of worrying if my first setup should be entirely computer based or if I should use some hardware components. anyone have any more insights to offer on that topic? any experience with what components work well on a computer and which don't?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 48 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)