aaa Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming? - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/19             20-Sep-00  @  01:41 AM   -   Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

redchurch

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok, I've seen lots of questions of this nature (how do I...?) but my ultimate question is: How the hell does Richard D. James or mu-ziq program such cool messed up rythms? How do they get that stuttering (but on time) effect? It's almost like they run their drum loops through a randomizing program that completely scrambles them. I've tried numerous times to duplicate this with no luck - I have however come up with interesting new tricks. 1) Try taking your drum loop and using something like Cool Edit to STRETCH it using low precision. 2) Program a beat, then record it and open it in Sound Forge or Cool Edit and cut out certain samples and paste them around in interesting ways.

If anyone knows how Aphex or mu-ziq do this please share.

-redchurch

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             20-Sep-00  @  02:56 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

Tomek S.

Link?: Link

You can just program it note by note, 'recycling' breaks works pretty good too, and mixing both. It takes a while, easier once you get some experience, good sense of rythm and 'rythmic imagination' are welcome too...
Above, you'll find a link to a track I did a while ago, I'm still pretty happy with programming, it' been all programmed note by note. It's called 7CE, check it out if you feel like ;-)
Cheers

Message 3/19             20-Sep-00  @  03:13 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

swanofnever

yeah, i love u-ziq, as far a si can tell the key is to NOT program with loops but to chop the break up into indiv. hits.... when the sounds get more and more "cut off" or stuttery all they've done is decreased the note on time/gate time for each hit. but yeah, those guys are fucked. just map a break into single hits across the black keys on your keyboard, and just jam. then go back and process/fuck stuff up.

Message 4/19             20-Sep-00  @  03:16 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

redchurch

Yeah, I already do a lot of programming note by note. I've also gotten some decent D&B type stuff by programming two beats, one on "off beat" of the other, and then layering them. That can provide some really cool results. But what I'm talking about with Aphex or Mu-ziq is like the 4th count of a measure suddenly the drums will just get all weird and really tripped out - like mismatched spliced snare rolls. Have you heard the Aphex tune "Bucephalus Bouncing Ball"? It's like taking some of that effect and compacting it into the 4th count of a 4/4 beat. It sounds quite unnatural in a cool way, very non-MIDI. Almost doesn't sound like something that could be programmed with standard note values. Anyway, I'll keep trying...

-redchurch

Message 5/19             20-Sep-00  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

Roshi

Link?: Link

It just takes a lot of drum programming. One trick is to mix up different breaks that have been cut up.

One trick that works is to cut your break up into 8ths and just rearrange the 8ths, working up variations that way. Just repeating the same 8th note can give you weird results. It's sort of a "meta" way of working with breaks, a little more meta than arranging the individual hits.

But it takes a lot of patience to break up your breaks into individual hits, and do a lot of rearranging. It's not going to happen overnight. In short, experiment, experiment, there's no formula.

Check out "Joyous Clockwork" on my soundclick site for an example of the above.

Message 6/19             20-Sep-00  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

redchurch

Yeah, I already do a lot of programming note by note. I've also gotten some decent D&B type stuff by programming two beats, one on "off beat" of the other, and then layering them. That can provide some really cool results. But what I'm talking about with Aphex or Mu-ziq is like the 4th count of a measure suddenly the drums will just get all weird and really tripped out - like mismatched spliced snare rolls. Have you heard the Aphex tune "Bucephalus Bouncing Ball"? It's like taking some of that effect and compacting it into the 4th count of a 4/4 beat. It sounds quite unnatural in a cool way, very non-MIDI. Almost doesn't sound like something that could be programmed with standard note values. Anyway, I'll keep trying...

-redchurch

Message 7/19             20-Sep-00  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

redchurch

-redchurch

Message 8/19             20-Sep-00  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

nobody

Link?:  Link

Look into a program call Max.Thats all I can say or they will hurt me.

Message 9/19             20-Sep-00  @  04:58 PM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

nobody

Link?:  Link

wtf? that's my name!! i am nobody!! not you. ok then.

Message 10/19             21-Sep-00  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: Aphex Twin and Mu-ziq drum programming?

Tomek S.

I see what you're talking about. It's still mostly programming. Remember that there's more to rythms than 4/4 and straight 16th notes. Going into different triplets will give you a lot of that change of feel kinda thing. In Bucephalus Bouncing Ball, to my ears, there also seems to be some analog delay - when you turn the delay time knob, it will give you that slow down/'accelerate into a snare roll' effect (I'm haveing real problems expressing myself today...I hate mornings).

Pages: 1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)