aaa ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??! - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             08-Oct-00  @  04:34 PM   -   ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

RUMLADMAFF

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

HELLO TECH-HEADS! I'VE JUST TODAY DISCOVERED THIS TIDY SITE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT?? I'M SEARCHING (IN VAIN) FOR THE PERFECT KICK DRUM!! I HAVE A FAIRLY LARGE AMOUNT OF GEAR (INCLUDING A NOVATION DRUMSTATION AND SHITLOADS OF KICKS ON SAMPLE CD'S) BUT GENERALLY ALL MY KICK DRUMS SOUND LIKE A BAG OF SHITE.........I HAVE TRIED LOADS OF TECHNIQUES LIKE RADICAL EQ'ING, LEAVING EQ FLAT, COMPRESSION, ETC, BUT TO NO AVAIL. I SEEM TO HAVE A HARD TIME WHEN IT COMES TO EQ AND MAKING GOOD SOUNDING FINAL MIXES - PERHAPS MY EARS ARE JUST SHAGGED??!? I MONITOR THROUGH A SERVO AMP AND KRK K-ROKS, AND THE KICK ALWAYS SOUNDS SHIT! I REALISE THAT WHEN YOU LISTEN TO STUFF RECORDED OFF THE RADIO THAT'S IT'S HEAVILY COMPRESSED, ETC, AND SO IS THEREFORE BOUND TO SOUND PHATTER, BUT THEN YOU LISTEN TO SOME CD OF TRACKS THAT AREN'T OFF VINYL/RADIO, ETC, AND THEY HAVE THE MOST PERFECT, THUMPING, PUNCHY, DUBBY KICK THAT MAKES ME SICK WITH ENVY!!! AAARRRGGHHH! (THE TYPE OF DRUM YOU COULD LISTEN TO ON IT'S OWN FOREVER) PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME.......SHOULD I SAMPLE OFF VINYL, GET A PHD IN SOUND ENGINEERING, START STALKING TIMO MAAS OR FUCK IT ALL AND JUST BUY A 909?!?!?!?? ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANKS LOADS, MAFF!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             08-Oct-00  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

H

What kind of music are you doing?Sampling a kickdrum that you like is not likely to get you a lawsuit.And turn off your caps lock key please:0

Message 3/21             09-Oct-00  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

Jasper

I've got the worlds best kick drum.. no shit.. last week we were all up in the city and for some reason everyone forgot their credit cards and cash... well not everyone, good old worlds best kick drum, came up trumps with a mastercard.. and later on we couldn't get into gods kitchen hard house night.. until one of the bouncers spotted worlds best kick drum and let us all in for free!!!

three cheers for worlds best kick drum... hip hip hoo *sound of bloke getting shot*

Message 4/21             09-Oct-00  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

RUMLADMAFF

ERRR.....NO, I DON'T BELIEVE SAMPLING A KICK THAT I LIKE WILL RESULT IN AN IMPENDING LAWSUIT......BUT THEN, THAT WASN'T EXACTLY WHAT I ASKED WAS IT?? AND NO, I LIKE CAPS LOCK.

AND JASPER, IF THERE'S ANY CHANCE YOU COULD ASK THAT KICK DRUM TO POP (THUMP) ROUND TO MY HOUSE FOR 5 MINUTES, THAT'D BE HANDY!! (FAILING THAT AN AUTOGRAPH WILL DO)

Message 5/21             09-Oct-00  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

Jasper

no problem.

on that kick tip though, I've got about 8 kicks that sound really good in tracks but they don't sound great in isolation. my trick is to have some really low volume background noise under the kick if I'm playing it solo. sort of lifts the kick away from it's place on the sonic canvas (if you will).

have you tried a bit of overdrive mixed back in? also something like an aphex 104 or the vitalizer will really beef up a kick in all the right places.

Message 6/21             09-Oct-00  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

k

TAKE THE FUCKING CAPS LOCK OFF THO COS I CANT READ IT SO FUCKING EASY!!!

my first thought was: "how can piss little speakers like K-roks get a decent kik or bass sound?".. but mebbe they can - you dont give any info at all.. what s/w plays the kiks, or are the kiks from a sampler, sample CD, drum box, drum s/w etc etc etc ???... NO details are added.

Also, is you monitor system/speakers wired in phase ?.. cos 'out-of-phase' wiring kills kik drums' 'punch' & 'impact'.

Message 7/21             09-Oct-00  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

0/d

Link?:  Link

how should speakers be wired to get them in phase?

Message 8/21             09-Oct-00  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

H

correctly!

Message 9/21             10-Oct-00  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

Jasper

aah, this is a dancetech favorite.

you see your speakers?, you see the positive connector (may be red) and the negative connector (may be black).

you see your amp? basically make sure the positive on the amp goes to the positive on the speaker and likewise for the negative.

if you've wired your speakers wrong and you crank them up you may damage your speakers. plus as k says it sounds shit.

Message 10/21             10-Oct-00  @  02:31 PM   -   RE: ANYONE OUT THERE GOT THE PERFECT KICK DRUM??!

RUMLADMAFF

hey! some suggestions, nice one! first off, sorry for the lack of info (and bitching about caps lock!).....pretty much all of my beats come out of my akai s30000 which is hooked into a studiomaster p7 which is in turn fed into a servo 170 amp. i use sample cd's as the source for my drum sounds....i dunno, perhaps my monitors are out of phase, i'll check them in a bit. i do tend to have a hard time when it comes to recording stuff though - i can get something sounding pretty good on this system, but when i record it and stick it through my hi-fi, car, etc it sounds terrible!! i understand that things are supposed to sound 'flat' on these monitors, but i find it amazingly off-putting when i listen to what i've just spent ages on and it's sounds like a bag of shit......i am starting to use audio in cubase vst more and more (mainly due to the lethal addictivity of plug ins), but am then sat here thinking 'well if that's not eq'd right, it's ponitless recording it.'

maybe i need to use a different amp and monitors, i used to use some big dodgy memorex speakers and a hi-fi amp, and the stuff i DAT'ed then sounds superior to what i'm achieveing now! i've even tried lugging my hi-fi in here for a more inspiring sound and even when it sounds ace through it, it will still sound bad in my car.....whereas EVERY FRIGGING CD I LISTEN TO sounds good on ANYTHING!!!!! NNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

i've just realised i should be in the mixing forum!!!! haha!!!! that kick is just part of the problem......

right, i'll get off now as you're all probably comatosed.......so, any more suggestions are appreciated! i just want my monitoring set-up to represent what i am actually recording!!!! any tips on eq'ing different sounds would be cool aswell......

P.S. do you reckon some posh headphones might help? i've got a cheap shit pair, but surprise surprise, they sound different again to everything else!! ahhhh....you really do have to laugh!!!

cheers lads (and lasses), hope to hear from you soon! yours, maff.

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)