aaa dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks - Drums / rhythms / programming forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/11             13-Oct-00  @  05:27 PM   -   dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

pizza crust

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

why do people dis sample CDs and sampled breaks all the time?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             13-Oct-00  @  08:31 PM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

RUMLADMAFF

dunno, it does seem pretty pointless......i love 'em!!!! do you own many (s.cd's)? wanna do some 'swapping'??!?? e-mail me if you do.....maff!

Message 3/11             14-Oct-00  @  02:53 AM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

H

Not flaming so don't take it that way.I think most people think it's a lazy thing to do.Having said that if you at least bother to slice and dice them there is nothing wrong with it.A nice mix of programmed beats and some breaks are good.However I think it has to do with the fact that the beats were probably heard before but if you process(not reverb)them and at least retrigger in different places it gives it new life 

Message 4/11             16-Oct-00  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

Jasper

don't use whole breaks myself but they are great for messing with.. like you say.. cut em up and screw em around.

Message 5/11             16-Oct-00  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

ggehiere

Link?: Link

Since you asked why people dis them, I'll tell you what
I've heard.

People dis sample CDs because the majority of people
who use them don't write tracks, they arrange the parts
of someone else's track. Sure arrangement has merit,
but not the same as writing from scratch.

Some people call it the 'dj mentality'.

If you like it, keep doing it. Keep in mind though,
alot of record labels won't even look at you if your
album is based entirely on the latest 'Jungle Mega Hits
9' or whatever.

Also keep in mind that there are 1000 other people out
there writing tracks with the same peices.

Personally, I'd rather write the music that other
people sample - because people sample music they wish
they had written.

Message 6/11             16-Oct-00  @  06:31 PM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

pizza crust

thanks for the replies everyone....

for a while I've been using individual hits from sampled breaks to build my own dnb beats... but, I recently started layering breaks and pieces of breaks over my programmed drums, and it sounds pretty good...
the heavy fx on the sampled stuff adds a special something to the background, esp. if you HP filter the sampled break.... the mixing stage is a bit more difficult so far, but I'm getting there...

..to make the breaks "my own", I use wavelab's montage feature and cut 'em all up, and mute and re-arrange the pieces. a lot of times the break has good sounds, but isn't slamming enough for my taste... or sometimes I want to make it shuffle over a whole bar... wavelab makes it fast and easy to make a bunch of variations....

sorry RUMLADMAFF... I steal, but I don't conspire.

Message 7/11             18-Oct-00  @  09:54 PM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

false

i dis them because people that use them are often after a quik fix and to show off for their friends. While others (like myself) spend loads of time to write our own stuff. But what i have noticed is that these so called "samplists" is that they seldom get any better at what they are doing. So in conslusion use samples dont abuse them.

Message 8/11             18-Oct-00  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

yams

I use sample cd's and will continue to use them for one shots of all percussive sounds ever heard. Where else are you going to get the sounds? Off the internet? Man I don't have all day to download 100 files. But I never use a pre made loop because its like cheating and the beats never change. But I heard people like Alec Empire use loops off sample cd's but he usually puts them through effects or just triggers them at a different pitch.
Until they invent a sampler with batteries so that you can actually sample anything at anytime i will continue to buy sample cd's cause personally i think sampling off vinyl sucks.

Message 9/11             19-Oct-00  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

rumladmaff

aye up!! it's getting good in here.....basically, i think it all goes back to the same old rule of 'if it sounds good and you like it, then do it'. it's easy to say that you spend x amount of hours getting your incredibly original, highly innovative beats going, and frown upon the use of (heaven-forbid) somebody elses breaks......but at the end of the day, unless you yourself are forging NEW musical paths with each and every track, you are more than likely to be emulating or writing stuff that has already been established prior to your arrival.....jungle (no politaically correct 'D N'B' please) for example has now obviously got it's own style which has influence on other styles, but where did it all start??? exactly, sampled hip hop breaks.....and they were never really cut up, etc, all those OLD OLD tracks that inspired the whole scene; reinforced with 'conscious lyrics' and all that stuff....all straight breaks off cd, vinyl, whatever!! did anyone slag it? no, and thank f*ck it stayed around........another interesting point is that when people are doing this and that within a scene (trying to a point where it becomes anal, maybe) to be originator of all-things original, they seem to be forgetting that as i just mentioned, one style will take from another (jungle from hip hop) and one from another (hip hop from funk, jazz, etc) and so on.......so i think it's healthy to remember that if the hip hoppers hadn't knicked all their beats as some 'samplists' do now, we would be at the very least, less 2 styles of the most forward thinking music around!! everyone gets noises some place, before long people will be saying 'you can't sample that frying pan being hit with a spatula, it's been done'!! i think (though my opinion doesn't count for much) that we should all just chill (pipes help), let people do they're own thing and if it sounds good, then all the better!! i'd rather hear a brilliant track made by someone who has took every sound off sample cd's than a shite one made by someone who has created every sound from scratch......blah,blah,blah, sorry i got on me soap box, etc, maff!! bye.

Message 10/11             19-Oct-00  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: dissing sample CDs and sampled breaks

pizza crust

good words, maff...

..if the tune sounds the business, then it IS the business.... I can see that...

someone else once told me that the use of samples in jungle makes producing lots of new tunes fast n easy... for some people, the aim is to quickly produce new tunes from variations on the old breaks, press em to a plate, and play em that week...

they can be sort of minimal because the DJ aim is to mix, not mix out on every new song...

Pages: 1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)