aaa Groovesampler SP-808 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Groovesampler SP-808

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/15             16-Apr-98  @  05:17 AM   -   Groovesampler SP-808

X2C4NRG

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Damn! Check out the new Roland SP-808! It is A sampler/effects processor/four track/mixer and sequencer all in one. There are so many options. It has all your filters and the D-beam. It has a built in zip drive, automatic tempo calculation, and four anolog outputs with optional I/O that provides six. Its got a whole lot more. I don't now but I think this one is gonna make alot of producers happy campers! I have alot of articles so if you have a question just ask me.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/15             27-Aug-98  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

Franky

Yep! This Machine looks prettey cool. Nice functions!!
My Question: Did the Groovesampler have partitial the same functions like
the 505 Groovebox???? Or is this the perfekt machine if you use it with the 505
Groovebox ???

Message 3/15             27-Aug-98  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

Franky

Groovebox ???

Message 4/15             27-Aug-98  @  07:41 PM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

Franky

Groovebox ???

Message 5/15             06-Nov-98  @  07:50 PM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

I need your help if possible. I just started playing with the sp-808 and have totally fallen in love with it. I've been mixing with the use of turntables, but just started to get into remixing and producing with the sp-808. Basically what it comes down to is that I need beginners tips and methods on how to work this and that out on the sp-808. For I was told that you can record up to 64 minutes on 1 zip disk, but when I recorded 4 songs on 1 disk, it ran out of space (I was recording in Quicktime.....whatever that means).
If you don't want to take the time to bother with a beginner I understand, but can you point me in any direction, etc. ?
Peace & respect,
boon

Message 6/15             08-Nov-98  @  01:33 AM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

Simon

Were you sampling in stereo or mono?

Message 7/15             08-Nov-98  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

cboon2eg

I was recording in stereo. My main question has to do with the amount of time each zip can hold for songs/tracks. It says it has 64 minutes, but I only get about 25. Is the 64 minutes in mono, and 20-30minutes in stereo? And is that all the time a zip can hold (tracks, samples, etc.), or just the song time (tracks)?
I appreciate you taking the time to help out. If you can point me to a "SP-808 for dummies" website, or soething, I'd appreciate it.
thanks again,
boon
cboon2eg@mwc.edu

Message 8/15             11-Nov-98  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

SImon

When you are sampling in mono you get about 64 min sampling time and with stereo you get
about 30 min. I'm not sure about the hard disk recording part. It depends on how many tracks
you are recording. The more tracks the less the recording time.

Message 9/15             12-Nov-98  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

Looney Boy

I think the SP 808 is a piece of crap, that everyone will hate in about a year as they hate the MC303. I can do a lot more with cubase VST than that SP808 can even think about doing. Well if you bought a SP808 you have fallen into rolands trap.. Hey buy this band in a box and you can make great music. The SP808 seq. sucks there is none. You can't control any other synths with it. The SP808 might be cool to play with in a live application but how many of you play live on stage in front of hundreds or thousands of people? And if you ask me standing on stage waving your arm around over the D-beam on the sp808 might look a little retarted. I mean if you went to a concert and saw some guy or girl on stage waving there arm over this box what would you really think? Though there is a skill involed in making music and laying it down on the SP808 and making it sound good but why spend that much money on some thing that really isn't that practicle? Buy A good sequencing program with hard disk recording. Cubase VST, Emagic Logic, Cakewalk pro audio, ect. So I think Roland is really slacking with all these band in a box products. I mean the MC303 & MC505 both really suck in a studio application. So why buy a SP808? for the sampling? The SP808 only does phrase sampling and sequencing only, where loops are assemled back-to-back into a song and it isn't a full featured MIDI sequencer like the Akai MPC2000. So if you want to create some really good tracks you will need some sort of sequencer to control your other gear. well I guess I am done bashing the SP808. The only thing I am really tring to say think before you buy. And if you have to have one wait about a year or so before you buy one the price will drop as it did on the mc303. You know roland is pretty smart in fucking people around. First they get all the techno freak dumb asses to buy there MC303 any where in the price range of $700-$850 when they first came out. Then came up with the MC505 the same thing with a few more bells on it and after you found the MC303 sucked you went out and bought a MC505. Why didn't Roland just come up with the MC505 insted? Well to make money of course. You know it was all planned out in the beginning. Roland Knew they were going to make the MC505 when they where making the MC303, So they must be making something to replace the SP808. It is all marketing. How many people bought a MC303 when they first came out???? How much did you pay for it??? How much are they selling for now?? A lot less.

Message 10/15             13-Nov-98  @  09:14 PM   -   RE: Groovesampler SP-808

MC-303

The MC-303 was less money when it came out than it is now about $350.00 at Sam Ash. When it became popular they raised the price to what it is now.

Pages: 1 2

There are 15 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)