aaa SP-808: Quality? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: SP-808: Quality?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             03-Nov-98  @  08:54 PM   -   SP-808: Quality?

Simon

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Does anyone here own roland's new SP-808 sampler? I'm thinking about buying one
but I heard that the sequencer is not very versatile. My other option would be the
Akai MPC-2000. Which one should I choose?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             03-Nov-98  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

Looney Boy

Buy the Akai MPC2000. This will be a better unit in the long run. I have never really used the SP808 but latly Roland is making a lot of gear that is really a self contained band in a box. And when used with other gear seems to have problems with sync, or midi msg, vel., controll, ect. The MPC2000 is more flexiable. I would buy an ASR 10 before I bought a Roland SP808. But I really wouldn't buy an ASR10 anyway. Look into the new Akai samplers S6000 & the S5000. Smokin........

Message 3/16             03-Nov-98  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

x2c4nrg

Hell no, buy an ASR 10. I have one and it is very versitile. Its loaded, and I mean loaded, with fx, fx on fx, etc. I have NEVER had a problem with my ASR. You have a full keyboard, unless you buy a rack, and its completely user friendly. I love my ASR and Ill never replace it. I use my Bass Station and my 777 with it and couldn't have more fun. I say definatly look into an ASR before you run out and buy just any other sampler. It lacks 1 thing...reso knob. It has cuttoff and frequency controls, but no reso. The new ASR-X does have the reso knob and has some synth strings and stuff and the ASR-X pro has Stomper built in so you can create analog type drums. I think that the keyboard alone makes a big difference. I dont know if the Akai has a keyboard or not, but a freind of mine had an Akai and sold it for an ASR-10 because the Akai sucked. I dont know which one it was though, it was white and it was a rack mount, not a good choice 

BTW, hey Looney Boy, I thought you were going to send me your CDs? What happened?

Message 4/16             03-Nov-98  @  11:25 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

Simon

I have a friend that owns an ASR 88, and I have a friend that owns an AKAI MPC-2000. I have
found that the sample resolution is much higher on the AKAI. The effects processor for the ASR
is much better than that of the AKAI. The ASR, however, is a bit out of my price range. What
can you suggest for about $1,300.

Message 5/16             04-Nov-98  @  05:24 AM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

x2c4nrg

I bought my ASR-10 for $800. That was because I knew the guy, but the ASR-10 is going for $1200 to $1600 U.S. I know you can find an ASR for $1300 if you look hard enough. Look in the classifieds. Im sure youll find one.

ReZo-99

Message 6/16             04-Nov-98  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

Simon

Thanks

Message 7/16             06-Nov-98  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

Franky

I own the SP-808 Groovesampler ! Itīs s also loaded with FX (feat. realtime FX in conection with other synths...) Then you have an perfect Squenzer. You can Put your samples to an Track !!!.
On four Channel Recording. You can resample your samples . . . And the best --> I wrote it for a few time: Its got an virtual analogue Syntesizer inside. It sounds really cool !!!! and with the Step Mod function you can create a bassline !!!! The sample leght per sample is about 18 min (stereo)
and 26 min (mono) it fact you can load complete songs into the sampler for remixing !!!!.

This was a small selection of the funktions - Buy it !!!

Franky

Message 8/16             06-Nov-98  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

x2c4nrg

Damn, that sure is alot of sampling time. My ASR-10 only samples like 3 minutes. Damn, thats hella sampling time. That alone makes the SP-808 super fresh. Maybe I better check it out...damn. Does it have filters for the samples. Can you tweak the samples with reso, cuttoff, etc.?

...damn, damn, damn.

ReZo-99

Message 9/16             06-Nov-98  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

Aint it got something naff tho, like polyphony of 4 ? and thats yer lot. So ya talking a kick/hats/nasty sound/ oh shite! better make the last one a goodun!

You just want a dj toy, then thats what your gonna get.

Message 10/16             06-Nov-98  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: SP-808: Quality?

Frank

Sucker not the polyphony - Sorry this is my bad english i mean FOUR TRACK Recording !!

Franky

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)