aaa DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/13             26-Feb-99  @  08:35 PM   -   DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

model360

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

The 303 is quite a cool box, I use mine on many of my records,but I think the myth is greater than the legend, no way does it deserve all this status which it currently has. It is my beleif that at the end of the day any synths, samplers etc are just a means to an end, whats more important is that you as a human channel some of your emotion thru the equipment, with the intention of creating something that connects with other individuals. After all, the ideals and ethics of Techno are about pushing the boundaries foreward and not dwelling on the past, which is what seems to be happening at the moment. You don't need a 303 or a 909 to create great music, you just need a sense of originality and integrity, innovators create their own rules.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/13             26-Feb-99  @  11:01 PM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

pedicelli

Damn straight. It's also about using what you have to the full extent.

Message 3/13             27-Feb-99  @  03:11 AM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

and if you have a 303 why not use it??? Basically, there is no such thing as a "future" machine. Everything has been used, and anything worth using is getting used as we speak. To me, and many others, a 303 is so basic, yet so advanced. It's the sound of the future, yet it is used in the present.

Message 4/13             27-Feb-99  @  05:40 AM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

pedicelli

I'm not saying don't use a 303...I love the sound and will always love it, but seriously, is it really worth $1,000 US? With that money you can practically get a Clavia Nordlead II, or easily get a JP-8000 or Z1...or even get a combination of some other classic analog gear like a Juno-106 and an SH-101.

Message 5/13             28-Mar-99  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Message 6/13             28-Mar-99  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

Actually, they are worth $1000. Every penny. I have the nord, JP8K and a 106. And they are great boards. But the 303 has it's own individaul character, that leaves the other modules sitting there scratching their heads? Especially, the Nord Lead. It sounds like a whinning little baby. Hey, just like most of you!

Message 7/13             28-Mar-99  @  09:00 PM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

pedicelli

Did you put any effects on the Nordlead or you just used it like that alone?

Message 8/13             28-Mar-99  @  11:37 PM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

I use effects on it. It needs it, it's way to dry with out it. I wouldn't even recommend the Nord rack . Out of everything that's out there, the only thing I'd recommend is the Super Nova or even the Nova. Inspiring, atleast for my stuff.

Message 9/13             29-Mar-99  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

squalcho

Don't give the Nord a bad rap! That is one AMAZING piece of gear. A whining little baby??? I don't think so. Not the patches I have programmed anyway. I can get MAD fatness out of my lowly 12 voice Nord Rack I.

Squalcho©

Message 10/13             30-Mar-99  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: DONT BELEIVE THE HYPE

model360

I have a 303 and I do love the sound, I've owned it since 1989 and used it on at least 30 commercially released tracks on various labels around the globe, but my original point is this: 303+909 does not necessarily = good techno. Neither are essential and neither are worth the prices that they are going for now. If you think they are well then thats your problem be a sucker! I paid peanuts for my 303 before they went sky high, but you best believe that I would not pay a grand for some old synth just because I'd heard it on someone elses track.I would rather use something original and start a new style of my own. BTW josh used a 202 on higher state!

Pages: 1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)