aaa Putting music together (total sequencing) - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

11-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Putting music together (total sequencing)

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             03-Mar-99  @  04:31 PM   -   Putting music together (total sequencing)

pedicelli

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Alright, presently, I have my computer with an SB16, Rebirth 2.01, Cakewalk Audio Pro 6.0, Cubase VST 3.553, Fasttracker II, a Roland MCR-8 MIDI Controller, and my Korg Prophecy.

Now making tracks with Rebirth is easy shit...no problem with that, but when I wanna invoke my Prophecy or some other samples like from Fasttracker II, that can't be done....

I've tried to layer Rebirth patterns in Cakewalk as audio and then layer Prophecy lead lines, but the quality is shit...

Then what I started doing was making the Rebirth patterns .XI's so that I could put them into Fasttracker. Then in Cakewalk I set the metromone, and play a Prophecy pattern, record it in MIDI, then play the MIDI so that I can record the WAVE, then convert the WAVE to XI for Fasttracker, and there ya go...

But this takes a bitch of a time to do with all these bloody conversions and syncs just so everything can fit together nicely...it works, but it's too teadious.

What I wanna know is what you guys do.....what's the best method for recording stuff? Maybe I've got too much of a limiting soundcard, that's why I always have to do these weird things...I'd appreciate help.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             04-Mar-99  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

computers suck, buy real gear.

Message 3/12             04-Mar-99  @  01:34 AM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

pedicelli

Well, that certainly was informative......and what gear/techniques would you recommend...

Message 4/12             04-Mar-99  @  03:08 PM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

Willy

Sell you pc and buy and atari 1040 ste with cubase and a real tb and a novation drumstation!!

Message 5/12             04-Mar-99  @  03:45 PM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

pedicelli

Holy Christ......firstly, I'm not buying any piece of shit Atari...I use my computer for other stuff than music...secondly I'm not spending any money on new gear, especially on a 20 year old 303....

Does anyone have any HELPFUL advice on sequencing?

Message 6/12             04-Mar-99  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

Well, if you don't wanna spend money on real gear, expect to have you're shit sound half ass, and also expect to have to do a lot of bull shit, for one stupid trick, or track. I'd rather save up, and buy the real deal. Computer software to make music is for kiddies. You'll soon learn.

Message 7/12             04-Mar-99  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

He's right, get an Atari with Cubase or Notator/Creator and external modules, but keep your PC to run Rebirth in sync with the ST. Saying the Atari is a piece of shit is unfounded, so many pro's use STs alongside their "superior" Power Macs and hi spec PC's, do you think they would if it was really crap? The ST is probably as important to Techno as the 303 or 909 but because it dont make noises it gets unnoticed. I use my PC to run rebirth synced to my ST and its fine. Also the MIDI timing of an ST is much tighter than a PC or Mac, weird huh?
Also most of the music software for the PC is a bit shite actually too, Cubase, Logic and of course Rebirth are some exceptions but in general a lot of it just don't cut the mustard. I agree with you on the 303 price issue $1000 is fucking crazy, I've owned several over the years and I would never pay more than $600 TOPS. The 303 is not the be all and end all of Acid\Techno, Ive done many tracks that most people would not know didn't have a 303 (or 909) on them and they were quite succesful on the underground scene here in the UK and in Germany. The korg Prophecy is a killer synth too so keep hold of that! bye bye;-p

Message 8/12             04-Mar-99  @  11:32 PM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

Looney boy

O.K. I agree the Atari 1040ste is a great computer for sequencing. I have owned one but I sold it. Now it is just PC for me. I can help you make it work. First off you need to get cubase VST 3.6 and if you own rebirth get the 2.0 version if not already had. These two programs work hand in hand. You can use the effects from cubase vst on rebirth and the cool thing is you get mixer in cubase for each idv. sound in rebirth. Like having seperate outs. So now you sould be able to sequence your Korg and be in time. Though you do have to program the song in rebirth though, but you can also save it as an audio file and import it into cubase vst. Also look into getting a better sound card, like a Event electronics Darla,Gina or if you got cash the layla. These sound cards have 2 in and 8 out except the layla has 8 in 8 out. Then you can rought your rebirth sound out of the different out puts. Though you need a mixer of some sort. Though I would say save your money and buy some more equipment. First get a good sampler an AKAI or something mainly one with 8 outputs, and if you are so dead set on the rebirths sounds such as the 808 and 909 buy a drumstation or a ravolution 309, due to rebirth has it's limitations. The drumstation buy Novation would be your best bet due to the price is coming down. Though you might say Hey there is no sequencer on the drumstaion??? Who cares it is a sound module that is what Cubase is for. Then if you need more gear get a synth that has as many outputs as you can get and can handle 8-16 midi channels at a time. Just think as buying a synth like this....Though only if you are on a budget. The more out puts the better, I mean if you have four outputs it is like having 4 synths in one. well I will stop now.
Looney Boy

Message 9/12             24-Mar-99  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

squalcho

Maybe I can help... I have used Rebirth extensively and I now own a TB, which after working on the system long and hard, have finally been able to sync with my Mac running Digital Performer. I have been able to sync Rebirth as well, but it is a pain in the ass (since DP uses Freemidi and EVERYONE else, including Rebirth, uses Opcode OMS). What you want to do has been simplified by the good people at Steinberg. All you need to do is to update Cakewalk. Do NOT get an Atari. Spend the $99 or whatever to get the update and then you will have ReWire, which is a full sync protocol for Rebirth. There is no bullshit with having to do a bunch of goofy settings (like I had to do when i was trying to sync RB with my Mac). I have not used it personally, but I saw it at NAMM a couple of months ago and I know it is out on the market. As for all of this "buy real gear" nonsense, you guys are blowing smoke. The machines do not matter. IT IS WHAT COMES OUT OF THEM. Rebirth sounds as much like a 303 as anything does (and a lot more like a 303 than a BassStation or the Prophecy - both of which I have/currently do own). It isn't EXACTLY like a 303, but 99.99999% of the people out there will never know. I am tired of this "I have a TB and you don't" attitude. Find something that works for you and then make music with it. People who are busy flaming other people for not using old "vintage" gear need to get their heads out of their asses and open up their minds....possibly even MAKE SOME MUSIC. Do NOT be discouraged by these shitheads. Your problem can easily solved and it doesn't involve spending $10K on a new studio. Newer technology is more stable, cheaper, readily available, and in a lot of instances, sounds better. The 303 sounds great for what it does, and I will never get rid of mine, but it is not by any means the be all end all of music creation. Hope this helps.

©hrisFader

Message 10/12             24-Mar-99  @  11:07 PM   -   RE: Putting music together (total sequencing)

pedicelli

I appreciate your reply...since I wrote that, I got my hands on Sonic Foundry Acid. I send all my 303, 808, and 909 loops to it and layer live Prophecy patch sequences....it's fucking dope like you wouldn't belive it. I recently got some directx FX's, so once I get that working, my songs will be improved...

I would like Cubase VST 3.6...like that I can then engineer the XOX boxes...

And you're right...it's now what you have, it's what comes out of it. And of what I have, I use it to it's full potential, even over tax it!  

Stay cool...

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)