aaa My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/29             03-May-99  @  11:51 PM   -   My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

jcu3

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!! that is compared to my Korg ER-1. I can't say enough about this kick ass box. The kick actually is as good or better than the Roland. It's quiter, cheaper, smaller, better looking(not as good as me of course), easier to program...fuck! what else can I say? It's fucking awesome. My Alesis Monitor One's just sit there and wig out. I love the output. It's so fucking hot, hot,hot. Not like some of the boxes I've owned in the past like the MC-303 and the Yamaha CS1x.....really, quite and noisy. The ER-1's output is really strong. 909 emulation is right up there. 808 is pretty ok. But the as far as the Korg EA-1 goes: huge piece of crap. It is really awful. Sad presets, plasticy voices, fucked up interface. You can't scroll through voices and then start programming. You have to go into a factory pattern and modify the voices and then write. Pretty gay... It does have some Prophecy sounds that are nice. Other than, I'd say save your hard earned dough. I took that EA-1 back the first week. As far as my TR-909 goes...........goodbye! trading time boys.............

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/29             04-May-99  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

pedicellI

Link?: Link

Do you know how the ER-1 compares to the Quasimidi Rave-O-Lution?

Message 3/29             04-May-99  @  01:28 AM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

jcu3

Actually, I do. The 309 is cool because it has the individual outs. Something I will miss on my 909. The Bass synth is horrible. It sounds like a $29 SoundBlaster soundcard with knobs on it. I have no idea how they can call it Physical Modelling. The drum section section is descent. I think it's one of the coolist looking things. I hate the name though "Rav-o-lution" . It sounds like something that you would get for free if you saved enough Koolaid packets. Although, I really like that Quasimidi is from germany. Most everything out of Germany is wicked. But the worst thing about it is the price. They want a million dollars for it. It's way, way over priced. Especially with the silly synth section. And then all those add on modules.... So, I'd say not, more than yes.

"Though that's my opinion, though I could be wrong.."

Message 4/29             04-May-99  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

pedicelli

Hmmm...very true. The 309 was the first real piece of electronic equipment I had ever tried out...ironic that I'm now considering to buy it. And you're right about the bassline synth.....shit as all hell.

The individual outs won't be of any use to me because I don't have a mixer...but I'll be needing one very shortly considering I only have one input on my soundcard and my stereo pre-amp is limited to one channel......

Do you recommend any good mixers to start off with (nothing too fany, just enough channels for a few pieces of equipment and for individual channels for drums...)

Message 5/29             04-May-99  @  04:41 AM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

jcu3

That's easy. Mackie. Try the 1202VLZ or the 1402VLZ. I had the 1202 first, then I needed a little more channels and sold the little guy and bought the 1402. I started off with a Phonic. Then this little Spirit purple plastic piece of shit. That was a joke. I took it back within the hour. It was noisy as all hell. Then a Behringer. That, didn't work out. It's too bad because i love Behringer. So I've been really happy with my purchase. I usually sell or trade the gear that I don't like or that I feel isn't a good match for me. And i've never considered getting rid of it. Maybe one day when I have alot of cash laying around I'll buy the 1604. But for now I wouldn't need it since I don't have alot of gear. Plus sub groups can get pretty harry in a live set. (feature on the 1604). But i'd recommend the Mackie or a Behringer.
Honestly, i'd get a 1202. Gier Jenson from Biosphere uses it. He produces some of the best intelligent atmospheric ambient on the planet. It's all knobs on the levels though, instead of sliders. It's all in one's preferance. This has been my experiance with micro mixers. I'm sure that someone out there with a huge desk with 48 channels will be reading this and shit and will think I'm a little pussy for my gear. But that's ok. I was addressing Pedicelli's question, anyhow. (have I become paranoid or what now?, god damn)

It's gotten so bad that I'm afraid to submit my email address anymore. I think that someone is gonna send a jpeg to my email box with a dead cat on it. Just because they have a different opinion on gear..... Sorry, but I live in Denver. We are all a little paranoid these days....mmmmgh

Disclamer: "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Message 6/29             04-May-99  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

pedicelli

Well, that whole message was greek to me except for the word Mackie which I know as being a top of the line brand of mixer..

If I get a dedicated drum machine, I'll need two channels (one for the drum and one for my Prophecy), and maybe a few other channels for dedicated inputs from the drum machine, therefore removing the main one I guess...

What specific make do you recommend and how much would it cost?

Message 7/29             04-May-99  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

jcu3

Pedicelli, buy this one. It's bullet proof!!!

www.mackie.com/Products/VLZPRO/1202VLZPRO.asp

www.musiciansfriend.com has it for $379.

Also, try WWW.americanmusicsupply.com
they are the only company now that I know of, that will do credit card or debit card payments. So you can make like 3 or 5 payments on gear. Musicians Friend used to, but they are now a bunch of Nazi's and discontinued that shit. So I hope this helps. I better get back to work... oops I almost forgot my little disclamer for the flamers.

Message 8/29             04-May-99  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

jcu3

Pedicelli, buy this one. It's bullet proof!!!

www.mackie.com/Products/VLZPRO/1202VLZPRO.asp

www.musiciansfriend.com has it for $379.

Also, try WWW.americanmusicsupply.com
they are the only company now that I know of, that will do credit card or debit card payments. So you can make like 3 or 5 payments on gear. Musicians Friend used to, but they are now a bunch of Nazi's and discontinued that shit. So I hope this helps. I better get back to work... oops I almost forgot my little disclamer for the flamers.

Message 9/29             04-May-99  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

©hrisFader

I have to step in and talk some shit about Mackie. I bought the 1202VLZ when I first put my studio together. That was 1996. Now it has 2 bum channels, receives radio reception everywhere I have lived, and just generally is a noisy mixer. I bought it brand new and it has been terrible. I cannot recommend this. Wish there was a good, inexpensive mixer. The Alesis is wack too....

Message 10/29             04-May-99  @  11:53 PM   -   RE: My TR-909 is a piece of crap!!!!!

pedicelli

Hmmm...that Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro looks pretty good...I just checked it out at that link, but the comments from the last message are turning me away.....

And get this...I e-mailed my music store yesterday, got a reply this morning:

-Quasimidi Rave-O-Lution 309 ($469.95 CAN)
-Korg Electribe ER-1 (659.45 CAN)

When I first tried out the 309 (almost two years ago) it was going for like $1,100!!!!

I'm freaking out and can't wait to sell my MIDI controller!!

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 29 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)