aaa submit your 303ish fave - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: submit your 303ish fave

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/16             13-May-99  @  02:37 AM   -   submit your 303ish fave

planetalgon

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Do you have albums or tracks done by other dudes that you just love? It's so hard to find CD's that I love from beginning to end. Usually I end up tossing the great majority of music that I buy. Please clue me in on some good albums and if you have links so we can hear them, please send em. I like stuff with the 303 here and there but lets keep it open minded. Whatever you can recommend. Thanks! Here's a few of my own:

Chemical Brothers:
Three Little Birdies Down Beats.(from Exit Planet Dust)
Plasticman:
Marbles.(from Musik)
Crystal Method:
Keep Hope Alive.(from Vegas)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             13-May-99  @  03:02 AM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

pedicelli

Link?: Link

If you like breakbeat techno, you can't go wrong with "The Prodigy: Experience" (Liam's first album, one of my alltime favourites).

"Music For The Jilted Generation" by The Prodigy is also kick ass, and if you like the 303 and wanna hear it used in a way that's it not generally used, check out "Speedway" on that album...

The last track on it "Claustrophobic Sting" has a manic 303 line...scares the shit out of you when you're alone and everything's dark.

These two albums are kick ass, but you generally wanna stay the hell away from The Prodigy's 3rd album...shit on a stick with the exception of a couple of tracks...

Reference to more general-acid-hardcore, you might wanna check out a couple of German compilations (but the older the better, you'll notice a difference between 1994 and 1998)...check out "Ravermeister Vol 2" or "Rave Mission"......

Message 3/16             14-May-99  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

planetalgon

Yeah Prodigy I love. Even their latest crab on the cover one I covet. The first time I heard them was the Firestarter song on WipeoutXL. That playstation game is actually a really good disk. Just pop it in your CD and out the music comes. Even some unreleased stuff too.

Hey maybe this is off the subject a tad, but did you ever hear that song Witchdoctor by Armand Van Helden? He did that whole song on a cheapo sampling workstation. So simple but once you hear it, it will infect you. Goes to show how much the man behind the machine is all that counts. Everyone is striving to get the gear to get noticed, but all you really need is the right idea and the willingness to complete it.

Message 4/16             14-May-99  @  08:37 AM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

Hey Prodigy's fat of the land is a great album. Nice hard beats with wicked synth and guitar riffs. Very Cool. Try checking out Daft punk,Fat Boy Slim,Frontside,Wink ect....

Message 5/16             14-May-99  @  04:34 PM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

ReZo

Hey, nobody freaks a TB like Hardfloor. They are the 303 Gods! To me anyway. They're my #1 influence. I also like alot of acid breakbeat like stuff from The Electroliners and George Acosta. I think Hardfloor deserves more props cause the stuff they do is....ummmmm.....fucking incredible, like shit I could only imagine. If you haven't peeped them, your missing out.

That just what pumps through my viens though.

ReZo-99

Message 6/16             14-May-99  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

pedicelli

Armand Van Helden did "Witch Doctor" on the Roland W-30 Sampling Workstation, it's the same workstation that Liam Howlett of The Prodigy uses, except he has 4 of them, if not more.

I dunno about "The Fat of The Land"....I hate that album with a passion, except for "Smack My Bitch Up", "Funky Shit" (which was already two years old by the time it was put onto the album), and "Mindfields" (originally known as "Minefields"). Everything else is shit on a stick (and of course without the stick...)....."Breathe" and "Firestarter" were ok when they were released in 1996, but it got overplayed and I start to hate music when the general population starts to like it.....

Liam's 3rd album does not even compare to "Experience" and "Music For The Jilted Generation"...that's some high quality stuff...dunno what's up his arse with all this punk-rock bullshit....

Daft Punk is ok...good use of 303 on "Da Funk", and they make good use of a 909 and bass effects to give themselves a distinguished sound....they also fuck around with "PCF" like filtering...take a look at their song "Musique" for example....gets kinda hypnotic after a while..

I don't listen to Fatboy Slim much...only song I really like from him is "Everybody Needs a 303"...

Message 7/16             14-May-99  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

man that stuff lame....check 'Happy 303' by DJ Shoko on Tunnel reocrds....but good luck finding it

Message 8/16             14-May-99  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

planetalgon

Speaking of Hardfloor, I heard some KILLER mixes of Hardfloor done by Sven Vath, another greatness in 303 land. I believe it was off of one of those Mix Mag comps.
Yes, Daft Punk is fantastic I think. They are the fine impressionists of techno, I would call them. A lot of emotion with little effort. Minimalism at it's auditory fineness.
Fat Boy Slim I sort of like. I don't watch MTV, and we don't get techno on the radio here so I'm not pelted to death with such infectious beats as the Rockafeller Skank. I still love it. Does anyone here know how he did that effect where it sounds like the beat slows down and turns itself into a single cycle waveform rising in pitch? No shit, that is one of the most memorable and ear catching effects I've ever heard in a tune. Its like he has time stretched it in a ramp like fashion until it just oscillates at the end. What sampler does this?
What is the appeal of the Roland W-30? I'm not familiar with this one. Is there something great about mixing with it, that you would have to have a whole bunch of them? The next big sleeper in dance music?

Message 9/16             15-May-99  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

pedicelli

Did you guy's know that "Music Sounds Better With You" was made by Thomas of Daft Punk?

Also, if you wanna learn more about the W-30, check out my webpage and look under the equipment section for The Prodigy;
it's the only place on earth where you'll find such an informative page on all of Liam's equipment (including pics, technical information, comments, and quotes...)

Message 10/16             15-May-99  @  08:15 PM   -   RE: submit your 303ish fave

planetalgon

Wow. Great site! How did you get all of this info? Have you ever had the chance to meet or talk with the members? Also, I'd be very interested if you had any info on how they wire all this stuff up for live shows. More, more, more!

Pages: 1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)