aaa The Ultimate 303 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

20-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: The Ultimate 303

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/27             14-May-99  @  11:34 PM   -   The Ultimate 303

jcu3

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I think we should take all of our knowledge about synths and gear and make the Ultimate 303. Between me, Pedecelli, Blue, Rezo, Planetalgone, Technicion, Kilo, (sorry if i forgot anyone else hardcore)we could design the Ultimate 303! I say keep it silver still. That way it looks spacey and futuristic. Implement, MIDI of course and Sync, for the older droids. An input to the filter(s)for sure. Oh yea, definately with blue LED's... C'mon what else????? Any other wicked ideas for this? I'm lit on this posting... What else can we execute on this beast?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/27             15-May-99  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planetalgon

Trying to keep it simple but I hope this doesn't sound like Rebirth because that's not my intention...

1.Well, you gotta have distortion built right in, of course. Overdrive, Fuzz, and feedback with serial and parallel options. Color and density.

2. Pre and post distortion filtering with all the right bands slopes and poles (A vocoder too with adjustable bandwidth please!).

3. Built in syncable delay. Multi tap at least 3 layers. And (blue) lighted display telling you what time signature the dalays are (1/1,1/2,1/3 etc.).

4. PCMCIA card slot for sequences and settings.

5. 2 voices with independant knobs for each (Geez my front panel is packed already I better slow down).

6. Yeah I gotta put one of those Dbeam things in. (Sorry folks)

7. Full midi send and recieve of all parameters.

8. Doing hyper filter moves with a standard knob? I always use my mod wheel on the Yamaha MCS2 because I can put my whole body into it. Put those in place of filter knobs, I would.

9. A backlit display for helping you with the deeper options (maybe orange would complement our blue LED's)

10. To tell you the truth, I could go on forever about this but I'm more interested in hearing what other people would do instead. A fun idea Jcu!

Oh- a headphone output!

Message 3/27             15-May-99  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

Link?: Link

EXCELLENT Planetalgon! Killer...
(#6 is subjective, hehe) But I agree with syncable delays, in time signatures(fantastic)and full and recieve MIDI parameters...nice  Everything you said was awesome. What else fella's?

Message 4/27             15-May-99  @  12:29 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

acidrave

Maybe it should smell like gasoline. This would keep the cats away and prevent it from corroding. We gotta come up with a name for this beast...

Message 5/27             15-May-99  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

JCU3

holy shit ! LOL.
What else?

Message 6/27             15-May-99  @  12:49 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

acidrave

http://troom.com/lol/lol.html

he, he, heh.

Message 7/27             15-May-99  @  01:20 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

©hrisFader

Oh, nice thread!

1) big knobs spaced far enough apart so that my big ass hands and fingers don't get all crowded. 303 knobs are too close together

2) instead of the ghetto ass bouncing buttons on the original, gotta change them to those ones like on stand up video games. I would personally go for a 303 housed in a standup game console. You could get big cartoony knobs on there. Plus, you could actually tell what notes and time values you were putting into the machine - instead of getting quadruple hits every time I press a button

3) internal spill protection in case an asshole like myself decides to spill Guiness Stout in it during a New Years party. Of course, others on this board would appreciate such a feature in case of any other feline or rust related incidents

4) multiple 303 parts.... should be pretty easy to include 2 or 3 voices in this mofo. You should be able to route the effects separately as well.

5) get with Red Technologies and put in an external audio output that would calculate BPM from an external audio source and sync the clock to it. The technology exists, and then I wouldn't have to sit there for 2 minutes trying to sync the 303 to my turntables.

6) a metal case. As my friend JP tripped the cord of my 2 week old 303 I watched in horror as it crashed to my cement floor in my studio. It didn't do anything, but it sucked to have to find out! No more toy plastic box.

Just my thoughts....good thread.

©hrisFader

Message 8/27             15-May-99  @  02:00 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

planetalgon

Faders got the right idea with the buttons. Big beefy and tough. Like friggin Asteroids. I'd hate to pay the shipping for this thing if it came in a video game console though. Maybe if we just give it some rack ears we could put it in one of those SKB gig rigs. Sounds like it could be about as big as an OB-MX. Make believe its not a Roland too, because they would put sitars, flutes and GM in it, not to mention interactive preset songs. Waldorf couldnt make it tough enough. (Wiggly knobs for sure). Doepfer would come out with 5 or 6 operating system upgrades, all a mess, and never get it right. I'd give it to Clavia, Access, or maybe Quasi if it didn't end up sounding like the 309 bass section. Sorry for eating up so much space on this thread but it's a real brain sparker.

Message 9/27             15-May-99  @  03:25 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

jcu3

You guys are kicking my ass just how reading how much you know.....impressive as hell!

1)One thing I want to add to our truly brilliant monster would be CV gate inputs and outputs. With a built CV-MIDI conver A person now, can push another analogue synth with CV inputs, while utilizing the fly seqencer.

A generous amount of Slide to give us that cat crying 303 sound.(please don't get any idea's sicko's)More intence on the Accent as well, for those borgy "unk" sounds.

And two MIDI outs, with MIDIthrough and two SYNC outs.

Thanks fellaws. This thing is amazing so far...

Message 10/27             15-May-99  @  07:40 AM   -   RE: The Ultimate 303

skot_e

I think I would like the envelope to be a little more versatile...

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 27 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)