aaa Real 303 / sequencer clone - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

Original Message 1/63             01-Feb-00  @  06:26 PM   -   Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi folks. I am a builder of several TB303 clones, and I've designed several commercial midi/cv units and sequencer designs.

My next project is a new 303 clone. Unlike existing clones, it will use the original 303 circuitry. So being more than just a clone, it will be a REAL 303. In addition, I will be cloning the sequencer itself to the exact specs of the original. The case will be just larger than the original 303 box, with a very similar control layout.

This unit will eventually be available for sale. I will build a few and sell them if anyone is interested.

My question is, if I were to make the *perfect* 303 clone, what extras should it have?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/63             02-Feb-00  @  11:36 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

friend

Link?:  No link

it should be pretty n stuff

Message 3/63             02-Feb-00  @  06:07 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

oldskool

Audio in to filter, "bulletproof" case, some way of external storage, blue or white LEDs, internal distortion \overdrive, better bass response.

Message 4/63             03-Feb-00  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

skot_e

sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Message 5/63             03-Feb-00  @  05:16 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

How do you mean....?!

Message 6/63             04-Feb-00  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

The only way to make it better is to make it a "2 in 1" true analog. Keep the sequencer the same(In and out), but add an arpeggio connection from midi to control midi (keep the analog CV and trigger) synths with 303 gate patterns. Don't forget the din sync(24)! Keep it flexible for all kind a uses. also midi in (x2) out (x2) and thru! Control of all paramters via C.C. messages would make it rule the world. Leave out effects unless they are exceptionally unique and flavorful. Rather have a syncable LFO with sine and real S/H. Make sure the filter is identicle. Also accent is very Key!!! Frankly, Rebirth is dope in the features listing but sounds yeckk, too dead and flat. Do "The Resurection" rebirth analog. Can you add a TR98089 too!! Ok, well...Strong and sturdy knobs (big ones) and Build it tough like a military weapon. Psychedelic fractal swirl could be chic! I love colors and the look of so many psytrance album covers and web sites are interesting to me. Why not make the synth look freaky too.. Hope to see this dream monster some day. Kudos:-)

Message 7/63             04-Feb-00  @  06:40 AM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

trevor

Kudos, many thanks for taking the time to give those suggestions - it is very much appreciated.

It will take some time and careful planning - but this machine IS going to become a reality. The comments you have made *will* affect the final outcome - you've given me some good ideas there.
I need to do this research because I need to know what people want. So please keep the suggestions coming in because I am taking notice!

The TP303 will be very close to the original, i.e with a sequencer as you suggest. The sequencer will be just like the original but with a few enhancements, most important being an LED step / song display and various other functions (randomise, rotate, etc). There will be other various enhancements: distortion, large MIDI spec (CC control and all that like you suggested is a definate 'yes'. There is far too much to list here. At the same time I don't want to make any large changes, but keep it close to the original machine. Think of it as a souped-up 303 with all the enhancements.
I don't want to make it into something totally different, if you know what I mean.

The most important thing is, the analogue circuitry will be the SAME as in the 303. Also, the analogue circuitry will be controlled in exactly the same way by the sequencer as in the original. You won't get closer to the original than this. Listen to my 'TB3030 sound samples' on my website: this clone uses the original TB303 circuitry (though an ordinary PC sequencer is in use).

I am not sure how the machine will be eventually available. Basically, I am teaming up with a designer of synthesiser kits. So initially it will be something for electronics bods. But if demand is good, maybe we will produce a run of built ones...

Trev (dreaming...) :-)

Message 8/63             04-Feb-00  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

Hi Trev. Sounds like you've got a great project going. I would also suggest that it be a 303 that "sells" itself on it's sequencer feel ( alla 303, or MPC 60) and it's control over parameters both digital and analog via plethoras of connectors. Give it real analog LFO's etc, that can be patched out to other gear's connectors. Think of it's usefullness for more than a fabulous bassline machine. Kenton has a lot of forsight in their designs. Also, If it can bounce or lock in a pocket in a special and succesful way, like the 303 does, and the MPC-60, and get people up on their feet, then it's going to be in demand. Good on you, mate! Transcend through dreaming.

P.S. Thanks for your reply to my post. I am still in a pinch, and I explain a bit over the subject in the thread. Cheers.

Message 9/63             04-Feb-00  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

Shredded 303

HI, just to add, I use my 303 to control other gear because I love it's feel. Of course the squelchy bass sounds are in regular use too, getting filtered with a Waldorf 4-pole for monster sounds. I mentioned real LFO's because outside of used vintage, only software LFO's are readily available. I realize that this may interfere with the midi spec. but it would add a unique feature if it could be used to affect external sources. Have both and your light years ahead of the pack. Making it a universal advanced modulation source is the idea. FM? Also, in regards to the person who stated that the TP303 'defeats the purpose' , I can only comment that he may perhaps be only interested in trophies at the expense of truly creative people such as musicians and designers such as yourself. Maybe then, when your design is recognized as a glory machine, that person will have to buy one just to glimmer brightly in his trophy case. To each their own I say. Be a collector if you love it. I find value in the creation of exciting personal endeavors over the value of a medal.

Message 10/63             05-Feb-00  @  05:20 PM   -   RE: Real 303 / sequencer clone

nobody

Link?:  Link

i like this idea. i'll buy two kits when they are available. maybe 3  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7

There are 63 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)