aaa Sampler vs the World - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: Sampler vs the World

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/17             02-Apr-01  @  04:21 AM   -   Sampler vs the World

8life8

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

So the other day I heard a sampled kick match the power off a 909 kick, it was passing through eq and some compression within logic audio and cut just as nicely through the mix as the dry 909… I c some very experienced producers ending up using just samplers and some outboard and today (thanks to a new pc) I just discovered that there r some really bad ass kicking samples for free allover the net…so should one just sell the lot and and buy some fancy outboard, as it seams that the net can produce every sound u would ever want and then there’s the convenience and versatility of doing everything within your sampler.. perhaps just keep/buy a monster like a arp2600 to filter, create and sample w… not that I c myself doing this at this point but it's and intresting consept.

8life8

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/17             05-Apr-01  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

8life8

err.. so noone up for a S6ooo and a few high end tube compressors.. well I know Luke slater is doing that among others .. guess I'm sticking w my 808..

Message 3/17             06-Apr-01  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

Jasper

I aint used nothing but a sampler and outboard for years, I just sold mw mw2 which had been used once on a track in 9 months.

Message 4/17             10-Apr-01  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

Pongoid

Link?: Link

I've had whole sets come out of a sampler, a couple sequencers, and some f/x, and I've done loads without a sampler. Both have their strong points. A sampler needs a LOT of help before it comes close to putting out a kick like my Xbase, or noises like my Q. So the question is: why try to just use the same tool for every job? The right tool for each job is much more effective, unless space, weight, and extreme convenience are your concern, over performance.

Ape

Message 5/17             14-Apr-01  @  06:59 PM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

8life8

space, weight, and extreme convenience is my concern along w flexibility, I’d like to b very portable, but when u put it that way i.e., “ vs performance” it becomes a tuff move … like u said your sampler will need a lot of help to sound like a xbase but it can b done.. outboard seams to b the way, and my thinking is; why do I bother making my kick sound so good when some top producer w top end gear and a engineer has already done that for me, just sample and adjust it to the track, keeping it all digital just have the mix passing through some high end mastering tube thingy that gives it analogue warmth, feel & charaghter … I was just thinking that in the end after years of going through gear one ends up in some spiritual place where and there’s nothing except a bright light and a sampler… but I agree I can’t let go of my jomoxes they bring me new dimensions and spark up my creative side every time.. also I don’t need any outboard to make them sound good and without them I’d b making totally different music.. which I don’t know if is a good or a bad thing ..

Message 6/17             14-Apr-01  @  11:09 PM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

Jasper

The yamahas have got an unclinical type of sound to them

Message 7/17             15-Apr-01  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

Pongoid

Link?: Link

I dunno, lifer, I think you will find that no matter what you do, a sampler will not replace the real deal. Your nice fantasy of the million dollar processed sound perfectly reproduced by a sampler I'm afraid will remain fantasy, whether you play everything out a SPDIF or not. Sure some top end guys are doing everything out of a sampler. Why? Convenience, nothing more. No E4 will sound like an SP12, an neither will sound like a real Mini, or a Microwave live, or a 909, or an Xbase live. ProTools can do some wonderful things in the studio, but that's a different game as well. A sampler is a wonderful tool, and I love it very much, but they are not the answer for everything. Yu can't tweek things in a sampler the same way. It's great if you want to just play back loop after loop, etc., but that's a bit boring, and at that point, you might as well show up with something like a vs-1680 and just mix tracks.....BORING!!!!! Or better yet, just show up with a DAT, and some painted cardboard boxes, after all, a DAT is pretty much one of the best sounding samplers around, and be like the Chemical Brothers. Samplers are great, but not the be all end all. Hold onto your gear. You'll be glad you did.

Ape

Message 8/17             28-Apr-01  @  01:17 AM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

8life8

"just show up with a DAT, and some painted cardboard boxes"

Hahahah ... just picturing it   ... but yhea I think u pretty much sumed it up bro, ..papa don't cry I'm keeping my 808...

Message 9/17             01-May-01  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

Jasper

it's a shame that people think that samplers can only be used for playing loops though, treat em like a synth with screwed up osc and your laughing.

not enough knobs though, there aint nothing like a big knob to grasp hold of etc.

Message 10/17             01-May-01  @  07:57 PM   -   RE: Sampler vs the World

seenull

I have this recurring dream. I'm in a room with a sampler, but this is no ordinary sampler. There seems to be... knobs? YES! There's KNOBS all over the thing! I have finally reached the bright light that 8life8 was talking about.

Pages: 1 2

There are 17 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)