aaa Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

Pages: 1 2 3

Original Message 1/21             21-May-01  @  10:48 AM   -   Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

Rico Rider

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm quite new to all this. I know I like most kinds of dance music but can't seem to figure out the definition of all the categories of dance music. What's drum'n'bass? Us and UK garage? Jungle? Is there some kind of website where I can get the definition of all those styles. Maybe with audio samples of typical songs of each style? It might sound stupid but it would be interesting to know what kind of dance music I like the most...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/21             21-May-01  @  01:16 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

sitar

Link?:  Link

It's a lot to sort out for sure. Drum n Bass runs at about 170 bpm, there are sub-genres of DnB too. Jungle has some similarity to DnB but I think it's generally faster like up around 190. I could be wrong or over generalizing. Listen to the sound of the drumkits used. You won't hear 909s in DnB or techno for the most part.

Then you have bands like Orbital that seem to create new genreless things. They create all kinds of unique drums and sounds.

Message 3/21             21-May-01  @  08:39 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

influx

uh, sitar..can you come 'ere for a sec? NO 909s in TECHNO?

someone better tell mr hawtin and the others that theyre usin the wrong box 

jungle and drum n bass are really the same thing..or they started that way but then branched out as people decided they needed to assert their supposed originality.

a lot of it has to do with BPMs, really.

dub has a lot of smooth rolling ragga like Blines, but so does jungle/dnb sometimes...hehe

I got an idea. dont worry about it  just listen and love 

Message 4/21             22-May-01  @  06:14 AM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

Rico Rider

Link?:  No link

Where can I find typical MP3's of the different styles? I really would like to realize what the differences are...

Message 5/21             22-May-01  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

sitar

Those dudes should've consulted me before they got off on the wrong foot then. Straight 909s? Oh well. I still don't have much of anything sorted out.

Message 6/21             22-May-01  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

infrasound

Link?: Link

Its hard to quantify any one music style really as they can vary greatly but I`ll drop some links anyway:

www.ukgaragefm.com - umm.... uk garage

www.breakbeat.co.uk - jungle/drum and bass, its what I like more than anything but most of the stuff is shite, too much shit that sound like heavy metal made with eletronics. Better still, go to www.studio-k7.com/data.pl?release=k7088 and listen to the track "fever (or a flame)" - thats how it should be, rattling snares and deep subs. A lot of the other tracks aren`t typical DnB but still fall within the genre.

now dub .......do a search in the music section here for dub and listen to "colossus" (I think) by Damballah, thats a top track which shows it quit nicely - kinda like bass-heavy reggae without vocals or something like that

US Garage - dunno mate

Message 7/21             22-May-01  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

sitar

And someday infrasound will post some tunes. Guaranteed to kick butt around here. The little bit of jungle I've heard has been faster than DnB....and a little more organic, but maybe those were just the particular tunes.

Message 8/21             22-May-01  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

influx

well hell, for an example of DnB according to sitar why dont you check out my tunes;)

to me, the best jungle stuff is a little older...way more focus on drums than on sounding mean and huge. My favorite examples, some, are on the promised land compilations out on mutant recordings. LTJ bukem DJs one of em...just some really nice listening stuff...

the boom bap of more recent times, although exciting sometimes, seems a little played...

Message 9/21             22-May-01  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

sitar

Yea Influx, I wish you'd speed those tunes of yours up. Come on. Get with the program.

Message 10/21             22-May-01  @  10:50 PM   -   RE: Dub, jungle, uk garage? What's what

d

Link?: Link

*blushes* why thanks, infrasound.

this jungle/drum n bass thing. I've got these older records and compilations where the bass is really slow and subby, there's a bit of scratching going on and the vocal smaples are mostly nicked from old rasta stuff -- wake the town and tell the people, mash up the plates, that sort of stuff. that's kinda what I think of as jungle, where the dnb stuff lately seems a lot more VA-heavy -- more synths, less samples. or am I out to lunch on this one?

Pages: 1 2 3

There are 21 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)