aaa Bought a Novation Supernova 2 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

16-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             27-Sep-01  @  06:02 AM     Edit: 27-Sep-01  |  06:03 AM   -   Bought a Novation Supernova 2

DrMorpheus

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I was wondering if someone could please help me because I have a problem. I bought a Novation Supernova 2 a couple of months ago. First I wanted to get to know the synth, so I played a lot on it and I made some of my own timbres. It's time to begin sequencing now, with Cubase 5 on a pc running Windows 2000. I have installed the MIDI cables right because when I am in Cubase and I play a note on my synth the red MIDI In signal responds. The global MIDI channel on my synth is set to 1, so I reckon if I paste some notes on MIDI channel 1 in Cubase I ought to hear those notes... NOT! The green MIDI Out signal responds, but that doesn't mean anything because when I pull the MIDI cables out of my synth the MIDI Out signal keeps on responding, the MIDI In signal on the other hand does stop, but that's quite logical. I don't know what's wrong here... Maybe I have to select a performance (2 or more timbres together) instead of a single program (only 1 timbre), but I've tried this and still no sound coming out of my synth. Maybe it's some of the preferences in the global section? I've tried a lot but no results... Please help me because I am getting a bit depressed after all these days trying to get my synth working with Cubase...

These are the settings I used on the synth:

Selected a program (one timbre only) -
Arpeggiator is off -
Global MIDI channel set to 1 -
Sysex transmission set to total data request -
Sysex reception set to normal (Rx as sent) -
MIDI clock external -
Local control set to on (also tried it when set to off, but makes no difference) -
Memory protect set to off -
Incoming control change set to enabled -
Incoming program change set to enabled -
Program change Tx set to on -
Finder demos set to off -
Sysex Tx delay set to 70ms -
Temp disp time set to 110

Running Cubase 5.0r3 with Windows 2000. The MIDI cables are in my gameport. There's also something strange going on which I'dd like to note. In Cubase I go to Options > MIDI setup > System and set MIDI Input, MIDI Output and those 2 "mapped to" parameters to VIA MIDI External Port. If I go back again the MIDI Output and it's "mapped to" parameter are set back on "Microsoft GS Wavetable". Also I have only a onboard soundcard and I am going to buy a new soundcard when it's pay day, but I don't think that has got to do with my problem, right? Anyway many thanks for helping me!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             27-Sep-01  @  07:01 AM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

panama

File?:  [image]

[image file]

dude, If I were you, I would get a hardware
sequencer and learn from that...

You know that it works, and you'll know wether
your synth is on crack.

THis is prolly bad advice, but it avoids all the
computer tech shit.

check the Roland MC-500 / MC-50, Kawai q
80, and the Alesis MMt-8.

Message 3/12             27-Sep-01  @  12:37 PM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

steve

you need to set the midi out you want to send the midi data to in the output column on the left hand side of the arrange page there. Have you tried that? That would explain why cuabse is recieving midi data and sending it out, but you`re nova isn`t getting it.

Message 4/12             27-Sep-01  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

DrMorpheus

Link?:  Link

If I had the money to buy a sequencer I would do it, but the synth was expensive enough already.   The MIDI data is sent to VIA MIDI Extermal Port, channel 1... was all the time, probably okay but still no sound.

Message 5/12             28-Sep-01  @  10:42 AM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

chapman97

Link?:  No link

a very good solution is to sell the PC and buy yourself a mac, they a
far easier to set up for music

Message 6/12             28-Sep-01  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

steve

yeah, errrr .....spend a shitload more money, that`ll solve it.

When I was trying to sort some problems I had with a dodgy controller keyboard a few months back Dr, I was told to DL a program called "MidiOx" - do a search for it and it`ll help you to follow the path of midi data and see exactly where things are going arse up.

Message 7/12             28-Sep-01  @  03:28 PM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

DrMorpheus

I will try if that program solves anything or makes things clearer to me... Right now I still didn't find any solution to this oh so frustrating problem.

Message 8/12             28-Sep-01  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

DrMorpheus

Strange, I've downloaded the program... but it installs Cool Edit Pro 1.2a. No such program as MidiOx..?

Message 9/12             28-Sep-01  @  05:36 PM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

blacktrax

Don't you have the opportunity to try a different sound modul ?
It would be helpful to know if the problem is related with your PC or the SN first.

btw: The mapping page in Cubase (Options/Midi/System) should be reset to make sure that no midi In/Out is mapped to a different port.

Regards
Stefan

Message 10/12             28-Sep-01  @  07:47 PM   -   RE: Bought a Novation Supernova 2

someone

Link?:  No link

Are you just drawing notes with the pen tool into an empty cubase track ?

This often doesn't work in Cubase. Took me ages to figure it out.

Try recording notes in real-time from your supernova keyboard. Then play them back. See if that works. You can always tidy them up later.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)