aaa good noisemaker synth - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

13-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: good noisemaker synth

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             07-Feb-02  @  11:01 AM   -   good noisemaker synth

panama

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Hello fellow analog heads,

I'm looking for a good noisemaker synth;
something with modulation capabilities and
such. I'm thinking Pro-One or ARP 2600... But
I'm not sure.

I want to have a board where I can make
sounds that have the ability to show the
personality of the tweaker.

thanks. peace!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             07-Feb-02  @  01:12 PM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

Maarten

File?:  No file

Studio Electronics ATC-x is due to be released... mate of mine has the ATC-1. Sounds excellent imo, you can insert different filter cartrigdes.... if I'm not mistaken 4 different ones : TB-303, Moog, Oberheim & ARP2600 filter (!) MIDI/memory etc,etc ATC-x is supposed to have an internal cardholder that will let you switch filters automaticly.... less expensive than the ARP2600 which is around $1500-$2000.

Message 3/12             08-Feb-02  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

Pongoid

tx81Z or FS1R. Nasty shit. Digital, but dope. Analog, if you've got the cash, why not get ill, and pickup an MOTM system. Dope stuff, and better priced than Serge. Modular is really the way to go to get ill, if you've got the loot. Sound quality is out of hand, and just never gets old sounding. Food for thought. Small and nasty, might be a Waldorf Pulse Plus.

Ape

Message 4/12             10-Feb-02  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

Brett B

Link?:  No link

I was going to say dx-100, but no filter like the fs1r. FSR1 would be great for that. They are cheap but out of production. It's like four dx-7's in a rack with knobs for the filters adn modualtion. Modular synths can do the crasiest shit. Look at deopher(spelling?)

Message 5/12             10-Feb-02  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

Pongoid

doepfers lack quality. MOTM is way nicer, as is Serge, but you pay for the quality. There are some others out there, like Wiard, and some others that you can buy new. The Vintage market is another world entirely, and filled with snobs and cons. Personally, I'm pretty happy with my Waldorf gear, and can cook up must noises that I want pretty quickly. Food for thought. ATC sounds nice, but steppy, the last time I played one.

Ape

Message 6/12             11-Feb-02  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

xoxos

a.f.a. analog goes for 'effects,' i enjoy the pro-one.. i'd recommend anythnig that, like it, allows the second osc and an lfo to be applied to the same or different destinations.. ie. both to filter so you can do loopy sine gyrations, or route one thru the mod wheel for automation  

despite all the bad stuff with them, if i ever wind up with the better half of $1k i'd most likely start on a d*epfer system.. and another $50 on some decent jacks.

Message 7/12             16-Feb-02  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

panama

Well, I played some Waldorfs today (Q, XTk)... and I have to say they are the most beautiful sounding VA's/digitals ever... I really could work with one of these things... But I have a problem, they aren't analog... and I'm afraid I won't get the analog noise that I would want from say a ARP 2600... So, I might go with the Doepfer modulars instead... the EDP Wasp filter clone is sposed to be great sounding.

All I need is some guidance on what to buy from doepfer... say I was gonna buy a ARP 2600 and say I wanted to have the same modules as the 2600 in a doepfer setup... What modules would I need? should I go with the A-100 Mini system? The Suitcase version of the A-100? or just build one myself?

OR maybe should go with a MOTM setup? I got about 1 grand free.

thanks in advance.

Message 8/12             20-Feb-02  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

Pongoid

I'm telling you, Doepfer will leave you disappointed. I have a buddy with three panels of Doepfer, and some other little bits and pieces thrown in, and I still think my Q sounds better, let alone the fact the EVERYTHING is midi controllable, and all parameters can be stored. That's not to say that it's always the case, but the last few times I messed with his Doepfer system, it sounded just a little thin, and the thing is also fragile as hell. There are reasons that it doesn't cost as much as an MOTM, Wiard, Serge, Moog, Buchla, etc. system. So far the MOTM seems to be the best bang for the buck on the new modular scene. For odd sounds, you also might want to try to find a Moog Sonic Six. Odd, but cool piece. Anyhoos, good luck.

Ape

Message 9/12             20-Feb-02  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

steve

Link?:  No link

I`d say to pick up a waldorf panama, sure they don`t sound like a 2600 but they don`t cost as much to keep going either. The uq makes a perfect additional synth as it`ll cover so many bases that analogue can`t live with and you`ll have enough dough to start up a reasonable mini modular system from the change.

just a thought, its your money and all.

Message 10/12             21-Feb-02  @  07:06 PM   -   RE: good noisemaker synth

Pongoid

I'll second the motion. Maybe even the QRack. You can find them for around 1200 if you look in the right places, and you won't run out of options for sounds anytime soon if you don't want to.

Ape

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)