aaa new synth? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

14-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: new synth?

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/20             15-Mar-02  @  08:46 AM   -   new synth?

liquidphire

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm thinking of buying a master keyboard and I was looking at Triton LE, Motif 6 and Fantom. Basically I'm looking for a keybard with loads of sounds aimed at dance/trance/techno type of music, but I don't want a VA. Can anyone recommend something? I can spent around $1,500 - $1,900 at most. How does Motif 6 compare to Triton (not LE)?

Thank you in advance!

Peace.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/20             15-Mar-02  @  03:01 PM   -   RE: new synth?

xoxos

ooh ooh $1500 = minimoog! :p

what's your beef with va? a good interface is so nice..

for $1500+ you could buy yourself a beefy va and something hefty otherwise.. a pro-one, a fs1r, wavestation.. you could easily pull a z1/wavestation/6-trak..

that's also kurzweil 2500 money somewhere isn't it?

hell, there's so many options, i think what you need to do is figure out why you don't know what you want..

i'm just wondering - why do you want a box that comes with hundreds of sounds instead of a good transducer/tool that will allow you to rapidly create any one of billions of sounds you can visualise? are you buying a synth especially for a 'cheesy techno' project?

Message 3/20             15-Mar-02  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: new synth?

knowa

Link?:  Link

yo just a suggestion--if you're looking for lots of presets, maybe you should get a smapling keyboard.

whoever had my xp-50 before me put in some expansion cards that sound *so* dated, you've just heard them unedited a million times before. if you got a sampling keyboard you could always load it with new sounds and probably edit them more too.

you'd have more fun with a VA I think but I'm not the boss of you.

Message 4/20             16-Mar-02  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: new synth?

liquidphire

I am getting a VA, don't know which one though, but I also wanted a non-VA keyboard. Will I be better off with a ROMpler? Maybe an EMU Orbit 3 or XV-3080/5080? The thing is I just love the feel on Motif's keyboard, I like it better then Supernova even :\ And another thing with a workstation is I have 16 parts, which is good because I don't have many sound sources. Also I like the idea of layering "elements" to create "voices", one can layer up to 4 elements to create one voice program on Motif and Triton has "combis" that work pretty much in the same way. I mean they are pricey keyboards, but they do offer a lot of sonic possibilities.

Any more suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Peace!

P.S. Look influx, I'm learning, it's the first time I posted a thread in an appropriate forum  

Message 5/20             16-Mar-02  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: new synth?

Defector Z

A Kurzweil is an EXCELLENT option. A k2000 with money left over, and k2500. Or a k2000s with the sampling feature. Kurzweil can do it all very well. Beautiful presets, with an incredibly powerful (although somewhat clumsy) editing system. It's not poorly laid out or anything, it's just different than alot of the other synths out there, and there's no such thing as quick editing on my k2000...

There are THOUSANDS of sound libraries out there for the Kurzweils - TONS of users with HUGE user groups and support sites. People trading patches all the time. A Kurzweil is great investment.

Message 6/20             17-Mar-02  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: new synth?

Pongoid

Esynth board.

Ape

Message 7/20             17-Mar-02  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: new synth?

xoxos

wow.. ..any synth that can't layer sounds is.. guess what???? monotimbral. i've got 5 keyboards (at present) and i play them all (group sessions.. things move around a lot) and they all do the job.. but some guy did sit down and figure out how responsive each board was. i forget what the order was but the one he liked the sounds on most was first.

what's the deal with the xl-1? you're going to get that, and a va, and another rompler/'synth' plus your soft setup? lotta gear..

maybe you ought to try the va first and decide what kind of sounds you'd like to compliment it (and the xl-1?) with. imho the coolest sounds always seem to come from sheer serendipity or somebody moving something they really know how to move.

i really like having an analog synth. for kick drums.. not like it's the only way but who knows where you'll want to go next. i'd imagine that on top of a va and the xl-1, i'd rather go for something with a bit more bite than a rompler.

Message 8/20             18-Mar-02  @  05:15 AM   -   RE: new synth?

liquidphire

"...something with a more bite that a rompler."

What do you have in mind xoxos? Can you recommend something?

Should I get a sampler instead of a ROMpler?

I already have an XL-1 (great sounds BTW) then I'm going to get a VA and I'm going to use VSTi's as well. I need another sound source or 2, some sort of hardware. Might be a workstation type of keyboard/module, a ROMpler or another VA.
I do love VAs, I love to work with them and I think they'll suite my style of music better (hard progressive trance, and eventually some D&B).

Let me know if you guys can suggest anything else.

TIA!

Message 9/20             18-Mar-02  @  09:54 AM   -   RE: new synth?

panama

Link?:  No link

let me get on this...

I would get a NL 2 rack and Roland XV-5050.
Then buy a really kickass midi keyboard and
create a huge setup with thoose two units.
The XV-5050 has new matrix capabilities that
are cool and the natural sounds are a plus for
trance and any type of music. As for the NL 2, it
will cover all your dance sounds and noises.

With the XV's 1000's presets, onboard effects
and synth engine + the synth engine of the
NL2 - you'll be well on your way.

It'll prolly cost you more than expected, but
would be well worth it all... Cuse ebay is
always around the corner to resell - So, there
isn't a risk (unless your bills get in the way).

If you want a workstation instead, go for the
Korg Triton. I would say, K2000, but it might be
too old - but it sounds ing great anyhow.

But, before you buy - be sure to evaluate your
weaknesses... Fill the gaps with what you
need and create.

nice to see your going hardware now .

Message 10/20             18-Mar-02  @  01:32 PM   -   RE: new synth?

xoxos

actually right now i'd wait and see what waldorf are doing with this 75 voice thing.. a 75 voice va (w/ 3 oscs?) ought to keep you busy for years..

Pages: 1 2

There are 20 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)