aaa what synth...again!!!! - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

14-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: what synth...again!!!!

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/14             16-Mar-02  @  05:45 PM   -   what synth...again!!!!

monkeyboy

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

can anybody recommend a synth or controller keyboard that is known for it's outstanding midi implementations, but also something even a monkey could get to grips with. the synth i use at the moment is a cs1x and as most know it is a piece of shite when it comes to routing channels etc. would it be worth my while keeping the cs1x for sounds and getting a cheap midi controller keyboard as a master? or should i just say cheerio to the blue box and get another synth in the same sort of price bracket? i'm strapped for cash at the moment so i don't really want to be spending more than £400.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/14             16-Mar-02  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

Brett B

Link?:  No link

it has velocity sensarive keys and some knobs two of which are assignable. so keep it and get a sall raxl mountable synth like a virus. Or is you have a fast pc and low latency drivers you can use softsynths and control them with the cs1x inside reason, orion, Cubase and Sonar.

What gear do you have already? What is your budget?

Message 3/14             17-Mar-02  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

monkeyboy

what i want is a synth that doesn't use up four channels for one performance patch like the cs1x. which also allows the user to use more than 1 patch at a time. and midi channels can be assigned without hassle.

i've had this synth (cs1x) for a year now and i still haven't figured out how to assign midi channels on it. this is my one gripe about this synth, i can utilise every other feature of the damn thing but i still don't understand. it's my understanding of midi, although i can hook up my other instruments fine. i thought i had finally found the solution the other day, but no.

i wouldn't mind if the cs1x remained in the set up but i don't want it as a master. however i think if i got rid i could put the money toward a better synth, just not sure what though...

Message 4/14             17-Mar-02  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

k

Link?:  No link

you might find an old k2000 for that price - they truly rock!

Message 5/14             17-Mar-02  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

Pongoid

Link?: Link

watch out, you're talking roket science. Awesome, amazing synth, but not monkey-proof at all.

Ape

Message 6/14             17-Mar-02  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

monkeyboy

yeah, the k2000 isn't sposed to be the easiest synth to program is it? i dunno i've not used one, although everybody seems to rate them very highly with regards to what it's capable of.

if it's only the programming that's a little cumbersome i don't mind. the midi routing has to be very simple though, none of this using up several channels for a single patch and getting me all confused. anybody use the k2000 here? is it really that difficult to program?

Message 7/14             17-Mar-02  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

monkeyboy

just had a look at the review and comments of the k2000...wow...seems out of my league though, i'm no programmer, not that i wouldn't/couldn't learn but it will probably take me another year to get into this.

Message 8/14             17-Mar-02  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

Defector Z

I'm no rocket scientist (as you probably know), but I can get around the programming easily enough. It's NOT easy, or simple, but after some getting used to, it's worth the effort. It's not a knobby synth like an XT, but it's FAR from a rompler. It's like a woman. Take your time to find out what makes 'em tick, and you'll be rewarded for your time. :-)

Message 9/14             17-Mar-02  @  10:39 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

xoxos

yeah, but there's a whole lotta considerations that go into buying a synth, right, like what kinda sounds you'll be wanting to make, if you're gonig to lug it round with you and all.

you're talking like you're going to buy a synth based on contyroller options - ??? get a fatar or something in that case so you can do key splits - that's what you mean by more than one module at a time, right? or do you mean sending your cc tweak to 5 modules on different channels?

plus your choice of sequencer could totally change this, since ie. logic routes all active midi to the selected instrument anyway, so if you're using another seq and switch soon.. and don't plan on going live? it's not like you need to have a physical synth these days anyway unless you have a particular sound you're after??

sorry for your underfacilitated synth woes.

Message 10/14             17-Mar-02  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: what synth...again!!!!

monkeyboy

defectorz, is it pretty logical in layout?

xoxos, i thought that a synth like the k2000 could be programmed to come up with just about any sound. do i really need to get a synth for the kind of sounds it makes? standard of synthesis, yeah sure, but sounds?

i would like a synth that had a broad range of capabilities, not complicated, multiple outs, not too big, nice colour, for a fiver;)

seriously, i agree about the "not needing a physical synth", i could do without if i got a decent sampler. i don't use the computer for music, although i have thought about it, but it just seems like more hassle, all i want to do is make music! so i use the rm1x as a sequencer, which is great but it has such a small screen!

i may decide yet to get a good sampler and a cheap controller keyboard? whatever, all i know is i'm sick of this cs1x.

Pages: 1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)