aaa romplers - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

15-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: romplers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/45             17-Mar-02  @  11:27 AM   -   romplers

panama

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

IMO, well, after getting my JV-1010 to work with my midi/Sounddiver setup... I've come to the conclusion, that in order for a mix to sound BIG - One would need to invest a lot $$$$ in buying a ROMpler of some sort.

Anything that Roland has made beyond the JV-1080 is top notch for making bigger mixes.

It's the icing on the cake (thoose over tones and textures that glue chunks of music together and make 'em flow)... ALL there ready to be tweaked and mangled.... WITH the digital upfront edge.

sanctity

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/45             17-Mar-02  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: romplers

Pongoid

Link?: Link

Poop. Romplers are all about somebody else's sounds. They are for fucks who like to sound average, and lack the talent and initiative to create their own sounds. Romplers have nothing to do with sounding big. Big is not in your rompler. It is in your ears, your mixer, your monitors, your compression, your EQ, your effects (reverb especially), and your mastering engineer. Romplers are what? READ ONLY MEMORY PLAYERS. This equates to DOGSHIT FOR COMMERCIAL EARS THAT DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT ORIGINALITY OR CREATIVITY AND ARE ONLY USING THIS PIECE OF MUSIC TO SELL SOMETHING ELSE. I know. I do this shit for a living. Throw your conclussion out the window, and read that mastering article by Bob Katz, mentiuoned in the Mixing threads. It will help you a lot more in getting a big sound than some shitty preset box.

Ape

Message 3/45             17-Mar-02  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: romplers

damballah

that is just the oddest fucking thing I've ever read, panama. how many of these big $$$ would you suggest is enough?

to be fair, they're quite alright for things like, say, pianos. or do you have to create your own pianos from scratch to avoid lack of originality and creativity? or does the mere act of using a piano sound in a piece of music indicate that lack?

Message 4/45             17-Mar-02  @  08:20 PM     Edit: 17-Mar-02  |  08:23 PM   -   RE: romplers

panama

So what if it's Read Only Memory... it's what I've found to do with the synthesis part of things that make a ROMpler much more special... Sure it's great to have real sounds (pianos, sitars, harps), but it's also great to have more in the synthesis and tweaking department. Yeah I know making a big mix is all about: mixing, compression, eq, limiting, mastering, etc... I'm just saying that having a rompler to back up already good analog sounds or to backup strings or analog bloops, always tends to open a mix up. And when you dive more into editing 'like say editing a JV-1010' - you'll discover more about filling holes in your songs, adding atmos with your own fucked up digitize character.

I don't understand this commercial poop phrase thing with ROMplers... Sure there cheap to make, and every Joe can dial up the same preset with a drop of hat... I just don't get why there not viable from a musician standpoint. I mean, a guitar is a guitar - A B3 organ, is an B3 organ. Some people just play instruments. I for one - don't really play, but I like having natural sounds.

d: well, I dunno - for starters a JD-990 costs about $ 550.00 with Vintage Synth card and a modern Roland Rompler can cost you anywhere from $ 400.00 - $ 2000.00. you prolly know this.

Message 5/45             17-Mar-02  @  08:28 PM   -   RE: romplers

panama

"I've come to the conclusion, that in order for a mix to sound BIG - One would need to invest a lot $$$$ in buying a ROMpler of some sort."

I take this statement back. It should more like say: "In order for a mix to sound busy and full - One should look into investing a lot of $$$$ ..."

and change bigger to fuller in the first post.

Gotta stop the speedy speed.

Message 6/45             17-Mar-02  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: romplers

xoxos

is that what it is then? i was over at my friend's house the other day and he's got three digital upfront edges set up in his garage. those are awesome.

have to say after messing with the waveform modulating stuff of the 1010 (which is a cool technology sound) it's hard to get as excited about it.. that's not going to stop me from having exorcist style sex with it for little pictures of grand pianos all over the place.. but i can hear the denseness.. i can hear the denseness..

Message 7/45             18-Mar-02  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: romplers

Pongoid

LOL

Message 8/45             25-Mar-02  @  06:59 AM   -   RE: romplers

realtrance

Pongoid,

I consider your assertions a _little_ over the top... but they were just right for the question, though. You're not going to get a "big" sound by buying a "big" ROMpler, for sure.

I do wonder where all the strong emotion regarding ROMplers comes from, just curious, not arguing or questioning. Obviously someone attacked you with one once upon a time or something, or someone you ended up really despising spent too much time trying to convince you to buy one....??? I know, I know, the religion here is smapler... just wanted to hear a little more about your vivid ROMpler pain, thanks!

rt

Message 9/45             25-Mar-02  @  08:41 PM   -   RE: romplers

xoxos

simple.. i think he must've accidentally turned on a radio or a television set or downloaded some 'electronic music' off mp3.com or something  

Message 10/45             25-Mar-02  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: romplers

realtrance

Oh. I don't do any of that (listen to radio, watch TV or go to MP3.com) -- guess I'm not missing anything, then!  

rt

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)