aaa voicing string sections - Theory / composition / technique forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: voicing string sections

Pages: 1 2

Original Message 1/12             27-Mar-02  @  04:10 AM   -   voicing string sections

Brett B

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

first what scale is this with the tonic being D. Is that dorian C?

second I did a string part over three octaves and liked what I came up with but I just dont really know what theory I am using and want to be better at visualizing it rather than using the ear alone. It's so much trial and error that way. I am refering to the mellow style of layered string sections heard in most sound track scores. I am using fifths and thirds. I create a low part first to harmonize with the bassline, then layer a high melody type string that leads down to the low section. Then I do the middle creating the counter melody. But i get lost along the way somtimes.

Anyone good at classical theory know some guidlines to follow to get a tighter piece that doesn't leave me hanging sometimes with a wrong cadence or feel. I know this is general, but I took theory and we worked on voicing vocals to the nearest note in the direction away from the bass, so I know there are probably rules and guide lines to help make it a little clearer cognatively and less experimental for me. Unfortunatly i never took classes past theory 1. I am thinking of returning.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             27-Mar-02  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: voicing string sections

damballah

Link?: Link

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
                        x   x x   x   x   x x   x                        

lost me on the first one there brett. here's the dorian mode of C. mmm-kay?

Message 3/12             27-Mar-02  @  07:12 AM   -   RE: voicing string sections

bedwyr

Link?:  Link

when you arrange things like strings it's best to think of each individual part as seperate melodies. if they work as melodies on their own then it'll be a stronger arrangement. the 'internal' parts (between the top part and the bottom part) might not have very 'interesting' melodies, but that's ok.

then again you can have the top part (or bottom) not moving very much and have more interesting internal parts. holding bottom notes as a 'pedal' can be very effective.

things to avoid are parallel 5ths. (and 8ths, but they're not as bad as 5ths) parallel fifths are when you havs an interval of a fifth between two parts on 2 or more consecutive 'notes'. this is considered to be very bad, i have no idea why.

Message 4/12             27-Mar-02  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: voicing string sections

Brett B

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
    x   x x   x   x   x x                                                

Sorry , forgot to check the box!!
I always do that. I came up with a 16 bar loop with bass beats and one string backing track, then sent it to my buddy. I run into this alot because my freind wrote some strings and a melody hook on the break and keeping it D, but he tranposed to Dorian on me and srewed me all up. I then tried to write stuff to it and it was always out of key. Then by ear I played around and only cmaj notes worked , but the song resovles on D and not C. So the bass is mostly DFA and G. So D right, well I checked my scales and it's Dorian D. Which is the same keys as C with D as the tonic which is what I was getting at.

Thanks Though. I still need any composition string scoring tips people may have.

Message 5/12             27-Mar-02  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: voicing string sections

Brett B

x   x x   x   x   x x                                                

Sorry , forgot to check the box!!
I always do that. I came up with a 16 bar loop with bass beats and one string backing track, then sent it to my buddy. I run into this alot because my freind wrote some strings and a melody hook on the break and keeping it D, but he tranposed to Dorian on me and srewed me all up. I then tried to write stuff to it and it was always out of key. Then by ear I played around and only cmaj notes worked , but the song resovles on D and not C. So the bass is mostly DFA and G. So D right, well I checked my scales and it's Dorian D. Which is the same keys as C with D as the tonic which is what I was getting at.

Thanks Though. I still need any composition string scoring tips people may have.

Message 6/12             27-Mar-02  @  08:12 AM   -   RE: voicing string sections

bedwyr

blind? ^

Message 7/12             27-Mar-02  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: voicing string sections

sitar

I usually start off with a melody that comes into my mind. I then add a bassline and other lines to warm it up if I want. I try to make each line melodic so there's movement rather than only block chords with a melody. I find it easier that way to make subtle changes in the feeling of the chords. That's only one way though. Block chords are just as valid.

Message 8/12             27-Mar-02  @  10:20 PM   -   RE: voicing string sections

xoxos

Link?: Link

could also say 'lyrical' phrasing, to get that vitagenic 'many lives' feel. maybe you just don't think of things in those terms though.

Message 9/12             28-Mar-02  @  09:57 PM   -   RE: voicing string sections

knowa

if you're going for realistic, send different notes of your chord to cello, viola, and violin patches. this apparently sounds better than playing block chords on "string section" patches. just read this somewhere, but it makes sense.

Message 10/12             01-Apr-02  @  07:44 AM   -   RE: voicing string sections

Brett B

It's not a sound programming issue,my strings sound fine. I am interested in learning more of theory. About how to voice strings to the bass and resolving on cadences is what i was getting at. Suspentions etc and what works for what types of a feel. I do it all by ear instead of theory. I was looking for some direction in that area. I found my theory book. I'll be going back and looking at the cadences in more detail. I may just go talk to my old theory teacher if have time.

Pages: 1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)